Bertram in Italy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scenarioL113

Bertram in Italy

Post by scenarioL113 »

I was in Nettuno, Italy last week visiting my Aunt and saw this at the local marina. I was shocked and out of about 500 boats there it was the only Bertram.

1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
lore

Post by lore »

Scenario

Don't be surprised. Bertrams are very popular in Italy. At the Marina where I keep my B28 at Porto Ercole in the South of Toscany there are three B28 and two B31. A guy is also building a new Bertram 31 from scratch molded from one of those Bertram 31. She is a Bahia model with a lot of improvements with respect to the original. She is a beautiful boat and I will post some pictures when is finished.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for posting, Lore. I saw a very nice B-31 with a dark blue hull when I was in Porto Fino a few years back. Beautiful country, and very boating-friendly there on the Med.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Diesel fuel in Italy is the same price as Benzina (gasoline). Both are unfortunately very expensive.

Here in the States about 10 yrs ago the Oil industry realized they could make diesel more money for no reason other than pure profit. EVERYTHING in this country is moved by freight whether it be train or truck. Trains and trucks cant carpool so there is no way to avoid getting screwed by high diesel prices. Biggest scam in the oil industry!

Years ago diesel was considerably less money than gasoline.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Dug

Post by Dug »

I was just in Bora Bora, and there were no Bertrams.

Gasoline was $8 per gallon.

The charter boat captain I fished with was complaining that his diesel was $5 per gallong as it had full tax applied. Virtually everyone else was paying about $1 per gallon for diesel.

Almost enough to take the boat there to fill up!!!!

Wow.
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

My 1968 Bahia Mar spent most of it's life in Italy, and was restored in 1995 by Senagi Boat Works in Italy. I have metric shafts, Vetus hydraulic controls with metric lines, and an Italian refrigerator that still works among other unusual but nice features. It has twin 1995 Merc 454 EFI MPs. I concur about the high cost of diesel which eliminated a huge operating cost benefit compared to gassers. I'll stick to gassers in a 31 Bertram as the additional torque and Horse power gained with diesels isn't necessary with my boat and my typical operating mission.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console