Fish finder and underwater lights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Fish finder and underwater lights

Post by gplume »

Looking to make two upgrades before splashing this year. Fish finder and under water lights.

As far as the fish finders are concerned, looking at Lowrance units. Elite...or HDS 5. Any opinions pro or con. Any other suggestions.

Underwater lights. Looking for that disco blu LED type. Any suggestions on makes and models.

Looking forward to any inputs.....Thanks in advance.
Giff
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Green to get bait then shut them off.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

why brewster ? is this because of the light following the monofilament down to the hooked bait hightlighting the line or is it another reason.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I don't know if what I experienced is the reason, but while in the Cayman Islands I was taken out on a night submarine trip along "the wall" (the drop-off to 3000 ft of water). As we ran along the wall with our floodlights on, we saw all kinds of smallish marine life swimming along with us. The Captain then said to us "watch this" and shut off all the floods. We sat there in complete darkness. After a few short minutes he suddenly flipped the floods back on and we were surrounded by wildly feeding big Jacks all around us...and no small fish except for pieces.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

giff
couple of guys i know are using the lowrance fish finder products, and iam hearing nothing but good news from them, you can down load your trip, or piece you ran over, cryistal clear, iam going to change mine out next year and will be looking at these units.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I think the lite goes down the line. They see fine in the dark. Its us who cant see.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Walter,
I've seen that same thing many times.

I worked as a commercial diver for 20 years. When we were down in the bell with the lights on, everything seemed orderly with the smaller bait fish close by the bell for protection and the larger predators circling 50-60' away.

BUT... as soon as we turned out the lights all hell would break loose. Many times I had 40+ lb amberjack up in the bell with me after they chased the smaller fish up thru the trunk.

I think topside would get a kick outta hearing me yell and scream with a helium voice... so it was kind of an ongoing joke to turn off the lights when we had amberjacks in the vicinity.

Ray
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gif, I second Brews thoughts on lights to get them to the boat then shut them off, light does go down the line and yellows have GREAT eyesight, I went with the blue lights more for dock and running effect, blue also a calming color so Im told..Green gets em to the boat, we hang a hydo glow over the side on my buddies boat, chunk away when you see em on the FFinder shut off the lights and hang on. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Thums Up

Re: Fish finder and underwater lights

Post by Thums Up »

[quote="gplume"]Looking to make two upgrades before splashing this year. Fish finder and under water lights.

As far as the fish finders are concerned, looking at Lowrance units. Elite...or HDS 5. Any opinions pro or con. Any other suggestions.

Underwater lights. Looking for that disco blu LED type. Any suggestions on makes and models.

Looking forward to any inputs.....Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Nothing against lowrance great stuff....But I am partial to Furuno. It's on commercial boats for a reason.

As for lights, I am going with the Perko thruhull ones. The reason being they are a mr-16 bulb which you can change to LED, any color or even changing color LED, halogen, etc. There are about 10 different beam width too. It gives you so much more flexibilty then the straight up LED's. I bought my LED bulbs from superbrightled.com for $12 each

As LED bulbs get more advanced you can switch to the better tech., with the others ones your going to have to change out the whole unit at around a grand a pop. LED tech. is change so fast it is crazy.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
micky

Post by micky »

for the underwater lights, www.coastalnightlights.com
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

micky wrote:for the underwater lights, www.coastalnightlights.com

Nice but dont think they run on A/C power.
micky

Post by micky »

No, they run on DC, they are LED'S
Dug

Post by Dug »

Gif,

for info on underwater lights, check with my friend Bill at New England Bow Thruster. He also does underwater lighting.

He will fill you in on what he knows, and tell him I sent you. He is mobile, and does good work if you decide to work with him.

www.newenglandbowthruster.com

or

860-625-1368 is his cell. Again, tell him I sent you.

Bob Lico knows him as well. He will vouch for the quality of his work.

Hope you are well!

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yep bill is up there with the very best , installation,glass work, gel-cote matching or painting . he is also a complete gentlemen.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473