Side Scan Sonar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Marshall Mahoney

Side Scan Sonar

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

A friend of mine is looking to purchase a side scan sonar - and move it between his bass boat and his offshore boat. Has anyone used one offshore, and does it pick up rig structure/rig fish or even tuna schools while drifting bait? Not much info about off-shore use.

Thanks...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Ric Soucy had one on his boat. Looked pretty cool when I saw it seven or eight years ago.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tom

Post by Tom »

My father has one on his bay boat. Humminbird or Lowrance. I ran it tarpon hunting last year off of Galveston and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. Went by some rigs to catch bait in 85 ft of water and it picked up the structure and all fish very well.

That being said, I wouldn't use this recreational version in much deeper water . I suspect its more of a toy for bassholes.
Viva la Presidente!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the forward looking sonar. Great for finding bait balls in the deep. I can see tuna out in front and stay on the school but it took 2 years of playing with it till I got what I was looking at. http://www.interphase-tech.com/colortwinscope.htm