Bahia glass dilemma

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Al C
Standing Member

Bahia glass dilemma

Post by Al C »

Trying replace the windshield glass on my 1973 Bahia Mar with the optional hardtop. It was not the original glass so I really don't know how it was installed from the factory or if 1/4 safety glass is what came with the boat. The ledge the glass sits in is only about 1/4 wide x 1/4 high so it leave very little room for a rubber spacers. The previous owner just siliconed the glass in place but the glass has cracked so no sense repeating his error. Any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. Channel on the left is for the exterior trim.
Sorry for the bad picture its all I have right now.
Thanks
Al

Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

it is very important that the glass doesn't touch the aluminium , put rubber strips at the bottom at the sides and use sikaflex , not silicone

Good luck, Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Capt Pat
I did read your directions on window installation but with such a narrow area for my glass to sit on I thought it might not apply, not enough support? I would have approx 1/8 in. for the glass if I used 1/8 pads. Could I get by with 1/16 pads or would that be too thin?

Al
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Al,

1/16" will work, but that's pretty much minimum... Are your frames original Bertram OEM?
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Capt Pat

They look to be original but I have never seen a bahia with a hardtop close up except this one so I can't swear to it.

Al
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Brewster

Is that a custom top? Looks like it could really take a pounding if it had to super sturdy looking.

Al
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

It is custom. Was put on by a pinhooker out of New London. Way better than canvas and zippers when the s$#t hits the fan.
killa

bahia windows

Post by killa »

ac I have a 69 with sliding windows does yours {with hard top}windshield is now fixed use to open r u changing the windshield also.i am looking 4 tips also.
Al C
Standing Member

Post by Al C »

Killa

My side windows slide but the front has fixed glass. Still not sure what I am going to do, there are several custom window makers out there but that would entail modifying the frames and I am not real comfortable with that. At one point I was thinking of removing the top and going with a windshield and updated hardtop but that looks like 10-15k. At this point I think replacing the glass would be the best solution if done correctly, after all its been there for almost 40 yrs.

Al