Tropic Star

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Tropic Star

Post by Tommy »

On Amimal Planet right now: Tropic Star Lodge and Black Marlin that billed an angler in the face. Nice shots of 31s.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Jeez- did the guy survive?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Walter,

The event occurred in 2005, and the angler fully recovered. The family went back in 2009 to complete the family fishing trip and to document the story for Animal Planet. They were on a red 31, and the capt estimated the marlin at 600 lbs. The son (around 18) was strapped in the chair, the dad was shooting still shots, and the sister was videoing the fight. The marlin jumped about 30' behind the boat and the next jump he came up on the transom and his bill went straight into the boys mouth tearing the back of his throat. Interviewed for the show, he admitted he fought the fish too aggressively instead of wearing it down for the tag and release. Didn't know if any of or Topic Star veterans heard about this while fishing there.........Vic?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was there with the group twice. To my knowledge, this was the first we heard of it.
jrhaszard

Tropic Star

Post by jrhaszard »

I've seen that program on TV several times.The problem with being in remote places is getting emergency medical care.In the mid seventies, I ran many rescues in Panama.Often,the weekend traffic was a detriment in getting a patient to the hospital.The beaches of Punta Chame or Santa Clara for example,although very beautiful, were heavily populated with stingrays.Whenever a swimmer was injured it was excruciatingly painful for the victim until they received medical help.Sometimes,the only option was to send a Huey.With older patients,there was the danger of heart attack or shock associated with the delay in reaching the hospital.I believe conditions have improved over the years although it seems like yesterday.
BERG1847M80F
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I like Shelter Island, NY... but would never live there for the same reason.
When I'm clutching my heart at 2:00 AM saying "Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya..this is the big one !" I don't want them to be trying to wake the ferry operator !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
randall

Post by randall »

i not only fished at tropic star i went surfing 3 times. i kept the fact i was a day away from help always in the back of my mind. the last time i wasnt only the only guy in the water....i was the only person there. i towed the board behind the kayak to the surf spot. i haired out after an hour of watching large shapes push water in close proximity. hell....i almost got mangled fishing from the kayak. the place is an adventure for sure.
jrhaszard

Tropic Star

Post by jrhaszard »

You should see the size of the barracuda when scuba diving.
BERG1847M80F
randall

Re: Tropic Star

Post by randall »

jrhaszard wrote:You should see the size of the barracuda when scuba diving.
the bull shark hank said he once caught from the dock was running pretty large through my imagination.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Right now on versus and replaying at 1 am. Tred barta at TSL
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Harv

Post by Harv »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Right now on versus and replaying at 1 am. Tred barta at TSL
Just caught the last 8 minutes. DVR is set for 1am.
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks Peter for the heads up! Searched it out on Directv and caught the last 15 minutes or so...

Pertty awsome fishing for a guy that the doctors only gave two months to live a couple of years ago, and in a wheel chair to boot.