capt patrick or bruce need help with this one!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

capt patrick or bruce need help with this one!!!

Post by bob lico »

tested with 3blade #2cup,4 blade #5cup now when i pick up the test props he mention they are special and have the "mr cut " so be carefull i notted my head and walk off.never seen anything like this .the 5 bladed props has the edge of the ear razor sharp from what i been told the Mike Rybovich razor edge causes a" harmonic tone" as it cuts thru the water.drives billfish and tuna wild.when bertram beat up on on hatteras in the shootout they were on one entry.i figure one of you must have some knowledge of this
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

Wish I could tell that I know something, but don't.... Michael and I were occasional acquaintances over the past ten or so years and he was always very open to my questions, helping me out immensely with his 3rd generation knowledge and craftsmanship. Always stopped what he was doing to discuss a technique with me.

Unfortunately, we never discussed mechanicals...

Br,

Patrick
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Bob,
I worked on a boat for several years as a kid. We schoolie fished in the spring and offshore in the summer and fall. We had one set of wheels that hummed at 5-6kts. This was the set that we did our best schoolie fishing with. The fish weren't jumpin into the boat or anything but on a percentage basis the humming wheels caught better for us.
Regarding the shoot out, having fished it the last few years on a bertram I think we just got lucky, after all how many years can you get beat. Hello Buffalo Bills.....
This year we'll see what happens. Can't believe the hum can be that noticeable over 5 kts in the big boats. Most of the fish in the shootout are caught on plugs driven faster than that. Might make a difference draggin baits, the wheels on the boat I'm fortunate to fish on don't hum but the big girl catches just fine.
Don't think anyones found the magic fish bullet yet.....Between the Sevenstrands EALS and the Mako Magnet and Tuna Magnet there are certainly enough people trying, now we have humming propellers. Good thing I got a 31 Bertram to fish on, with a set of diesels its the best teaser on the planet. And the better news is they don't make em anymore so you can't go to the store and get one of these teasers without a real commitment.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank capt patrick for the quick comeback.jp that what i should have said --a 5-6knot hum in addition to the halogen lights (yes even in the day time)because they are pulling a dredge loaded with those calcutta brand flashfoil holographic baits.the lights reflect and the tuna or billfish see a baitball of herring. i was on the "general j " a 55' hat-----opps.i will never repeat that again!!! anyway could you actually hear the hum off the transom trolling?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

OH yeah you couldn't miss it. The charters would always ask,"What's that noise?"
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,
It is certainly possible that the blade design will produce some sort of harmonic vibration.

To say it will work on everyboat the same is nothing short of a sales gimmick. Too many factors involved.

After all these years of working with and on charter boats, my conclusion is there is no gimmick or substitute for knowing how to fish for a species and the proper application there of.

There are certain factors that can increase your odds, but my observations have been when a boat looses a tournament, the ego driven crew looks for some sort of advantage the winning boat has and like any winning crew, they will exploit any tidbit tossed their way.

One of the most succesful charter boats in my area I have seen is a little 24 center console with twin Yamaha outboards.
This guy don't come back empty handy hardly at all, and not with just junk fish, with his targeted species.
No secrets or fancy gimmicks. Just long years spend developing his art.

Based on my observations of posts, JimmyG seems to be one of the most succesfull at fishing here. Maybe if he sees this thread, he can post his opinion.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

My 28B had a prop squeal at just above idle. Go to 750 rpms and it was gone. I think that would scare fish away. Surveyor said it common and nothing to worry about. The guy bought the boat.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Charlie,
I Wonder if it was the cutless squealing and not the prop.

One of my customers had a set of props made for his girlfriends yacht several years back, 5 blade wheels with a whistle edge. It was supposed to give a little extra push, don't know if it worked or whistled, I do know it was expensive.