Aft Bulkhaed on B26

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chanse

Aft Bulkhaed on B26

Post by Chanse »

My aft bulkhead has two sections of plywood either side that extend about half way up.
Then there is sunbrella snapped to the top with a clear vinyl window on either side.
The center doorway is sunbrella all the way to deck with a vinyl window.

I would like to rplace it with solid bulkheads running from deck to top. I would have to come up with a way of securing it (tabbing) to the top cabin portion. The center doorway will again have to be the sunbrella/vinyl can’t think of anything else. Thinking of RV type solid windows either side.

What would be good possibilities ? 1/2 “ marine ply with white formica? king starboard? Any thing else?
It will be exposed to nasty weather. Any one have any ideas?
This is on a B26, have seen pics with it done but have no idea how they did it. Trying to copy a B28/31 look, function.
Thanks
spencer

Post by spencer »

I had a set of aft bulkheads with door fabricated, used one inch coosa board with 1708 fiberglass, used a template made of doorskin and strips of wood , after fiberglassed' tabbed into the top of the hard top, and hull with epoxy and strips of 1708
I know Capt Patrick has a link with how to make the bulkheads on the links section under Fortuna, and Jim bailys boat Buddy Boy,
The links are for a 31 however they are a good guide for any boat
Spencer
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I have a 26 with the factory full bulkhead... I could take some pictures of how the factory did it if it would help you...

Cheers!

John
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

BCBertie, WOW I would luv to see them, I always wondered if thay were a factory option. No rush but I certainly will take you up on that.
I'm thinking they must be some sort of lam over 3/4" Ply? Have you ever wondered how many 26FBSF were made? only in 1976 and 77 but I never heard of a 77 anywhere. Thanks
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

I'll be happy to do that for you. I'll take a look and see if I happen to have anything helpful already, otherwise I'll visit the boat this weekend and take pictures.

They are made exactly the same as all '70's Bertram bulkheads; the same as the one between the cabin and v-berth. Ply laminated with formica. I re-did the outer side with wood veneer on mine when the formica got too ugly...

Cheers!

John
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

Hello Chanse-

OK, I visited the boat today. The bulkhead is a single piece of 3/4 ply with formica on either side (maybe 5/8...). It's pretty obvious they put it in last after the interior was built. It has little wings that stick out on each side, so they would have tilted it a little, inserted it in top first, and then tilted the top up and the bottom down. The top is screwed into the flybridge form the inside, and the bottom is screwed in from the outside. PM me with your email address and I'll send you some pics...

Cheers!

John