Polishing up headlight lenses

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Polishing up headlight lenses

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My son Capt. Brent taught me this trick today. My 97 Tahoe's plastic headlight covers are yellowed and scratched up so bad the lights don't shine too good no mo'......use 600 grit wet sandpaper with water (I used a chunk of old sponge to wrap the sandpaper around) to get the bad stuff off, then polish with some car polishing compound, wash good, and finish with a coast of.......yep.......CX.

They look like new. Guess it would work on any yellowed, scratched up plastic. More ways to skin a cat than feed it melted butter.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Where were you a year and half ago Vic???

I was coming out of Tennesse and could hardly see where I was going....my head lights were so dim. (I am hardly ever on the road at night) I drive a 97 Chevy Truck.

I went to the Chevy dealer when I got back home and bought 2 replacement head light......$125 for the left side and $132 for the right side.....(parts only, not installed)....nearly had a stroke......I remember sealed beams being 12 bucks.

I had heard of folks getting them buffed out but they said it never lasted....seems that when the coating on the plasic deterioated they were pretty much toast.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I did mine on my 95 Ford Ranger with some polishing compound and a rotory buffer. Worked like new for about a year. Now a notice they are starting to dull out again.

Harry, strange pricing. Is one side bigger than the other?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The left is subsidized by the gov't, thats why its cheaper.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Also remember that headlight bulbs dim over time. You can replace them with the new HID replacement kits for <$70.00. Very bright. You can pick what color you want, so they don't have to be the stupid blue color. a lot of the farmers are replacing the lights on their combines with these kits and really like them.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-H ... 35W-or-55W
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bet the right can see further down the road....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce explains the left and Bob explains the right.....uhmmmmm I have to say I fully understand and agree......better be careful or Capt Pat will move this discussion to a different forum.....

hb
hb