I'm Just Glad He Was In The Water Not Me

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jspiezio

I'm Just Glad He Was In The Water Not Me

Post by jspiezio »

My friend sent me the following email----

Pretty cool stuff- my friend Alistair McGlashan was in the water taking pictures of a 200 lb marlin being released when a 550 lb mako shot up and passed him within a few feet and proceeded to eat the tail off of the striped marlin. He has video and still shots on his website almcglashan.com and I included a link to the news story on it. He will be up here this Summer to fish and promote and shoot for his tv show. If you get a chance to take him out fishing this Summer you won't be disappointed and will certainly be entertained. Enjoy. I hope the link below works.
Andrew Dean

video and story here:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/820 ... -on-marlin

still pics here:

http://www.almcglashan.com/gallery.php?gallery_cat=21
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Woooooow...he is alucky SOB and must be happy that the shark went for the fish!!!
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have to say that after all my years of fishing, I have come to the conclusion that the shortfin Mako is the smartest fish that swims. I have shark fished since the days of Frank Mundus, and watched all kinds of sharks in a chum slick. I have even caught a small Great White, but a Mako in a chum slick is something else. Most sharks swim through a chum slick. Makos dart. Most that I have caught, were never seen before they were hooked. It has been said that the Mako is the Swordfish's only natural enemy, following one for days directly behind it in their blind spot, waiting for the opportunity to do just what it did to that poor Striped Marlin. Rush in and bite off it's tail. After that, it's eat at leisure. I have nothing but respect for that creature. Even in this instance, it knew the Marlin was immobilized and the swimmer wasn't and made the choice with the greatest chance of success.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The only good shark is a dead shark.

UV
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Walter, I agree with you, makos are NUTS....even the small ones have a bad attitude..like you said most flash through the slick...I hooked a 300+ pounder off block island cleared the t top on my silverhawk...we all looked up in awe...also had another big girl eat a whole live bluefish..water exploded left a massive hole...short story bit clean through 400lb braided cable like it was butta...old timer from Montauk told us single strand only...makos only shark that can bite through a turtles shell..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

A swordfish's eyes pop out and can look backwards. A swordfish spends 65% of its life looking backwards, why? MAKO SHARK.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

learned another one today ------thanks brewster
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

makos only shark that can bite through a turtles shell..
Not quite true.
Tiger sharks actually include sea turtles as a regular part of their diet. Their teeth are like asymetrical serrated saw blades, and have no trouble tearing up a big ol loggerhead...whereas a mako has non-serrated piercing and grabbing teeth- more suited to fish.
I'd think the Bull and White could crack a turtle shell without too much sweat either...
But, like everyone else- the Mako is my favorite of all the sharks. They've got character, to understate it.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Carl

Post by Carl »

A Mako is also good on the grill...
randall

Post by randall »

i had a good friend that was killed by a shark. i have never tasted shark or killed one......and expect the favor returned. karma.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Stand corrected...fought both species...tiger is a slob of a trash barrell...4 1/2 hours on 1000+ last year in Veach canyon..80 stand up...cut it off next time....mako & thresher worth the fight and good grilln afterwards...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/paq2YOAv1b8

Another neat in the water fishing excursion.