Island Girl progress

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Gert van Leest

Island Girl progress

Post by Gert van Leest »

Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

iam confused, and thats not to hard, i thought island girl was down in the mid atlantic region not long island, help
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

I can understand your confusment,

It is a long story but I try to explane,

I was in november on Long Island for the search of a B31 , I met Spencer of Babylon Yacht sales and he tipped me the Barbara Jean that original came from Long Island .
I met my wife on one of the dutch islands , ....Island Girl.
My ice boat is called "LONG ICELAND "
My former company whitch i profitly sold...www.longisland.nl

What can i say i have a thing with islands...[img]http://www.icesailing.nl/images/2010%20 ... %20(4).jpg
[/img]
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

ok iam stable now, i think theres 2 island girls if iam not mistaken also.
shes looking good gert
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Carl

Post by Carl »

http://www.longisland.nl/main.html

Very pretty boats...love the lines!

Can't wait to see how Island Girl finishes up.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i am so happy to see our pm`s work so well ! you did the right thing, that is you built up the gunnel and covered the "lip" along the inside of the cockpit gunnel . you also picked a nice beautiful grain for the teak. incidently the 31 bertram in it`s stock form has a lot of "give "along the cockpit gunnel . you will see this if you walk on it, by installing the teak gunnel covering boards the entire lenth of the cockpit gunnel is reinforced and definitely effects the boats flexing when coming off a wave.the flex point due to the nature of the desigh is right where the pillars meet the gunnels due to the engine/gear weight and bulkhead support forward of this point. ----again nice job and very inportant inprovement for going thru that inlet you posted in the video.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Boy, talk about beautiful center consoles!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes, now the link is working , ditto what walter said, to nice for bass fishing though
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

were you able to find the recessed fuel vent in 316 ss as well as the 316 ss tru-hulls ? relocate all thruhulls in the hull except that galley/head sink there is no way to get enough pitch for drain water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tommy Drake sold his Island Girl from NC to someone who took it to Monaco as I recall.

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes
thanks uv, thats it, to many brain cells burnt out
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Gert van Leest

Island Girl progress

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Bob .yesI left the funny looking thruhull of the galley sink , I liked the aged look of it . The reccesed feul tank vent is of ss and high starboard in the transom, the bilge pump outlets are just above the water line in the transom.

Thanks for the pics you send me , they were of great help !!

Gert
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

anytime brother--------------
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Gert, Great job on Island Girl....that 40' sportsman looks like a great boat..nice lines..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Now that it's crystal clear to everyone else, I'm confused! So Gert, are the photos above of the old Barbara Jean, now renamed Island Girl? I thought you were overseas, so the hailing port throws me off as well. Like CWJ, I am easily confused.........
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hmmmmmm......like all those big yachts that are registered in the Cayman Islands......you don't think the Tax Man has something to do with this? Huh, Gert? Does the Dutch Constitution have protection against self-incrimination?

Great work, by the way.

yo Fren'

UV
In Memory Walter K

They changed the rules in NY at least. You're in a NY slip for over 30 (?) days and you have to have a NY state registration no matter where you're from or where you bought it. That comes with an 8.25% tax on what you payed for it the last time I looked.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

tommy
the way i see it , the boat is the old barbara jean originaly from long island ny, its home port now is long island were gert lives and the 2nd island girl. do i have this right gert
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

walterk wrote:They changed the rules in NY at least. You're in a NY slip for over 30 (?) days and you have to have a NY state registration no matter where you're from or where you bought it. That comes with an 8.25% tax on what you payed for it the last time I looked.
About two yrs ago, the "Coasties" were snagging folks coming out of Montauk all the time. I sneaked my old "H" boat outta Darenbergs and when back in Sag, paid some tax and got a sticker. They don't really care about the NY and #s, they wanna see the tax sticker.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe it was Russ Pagels old "Barbara Jean" that was shipped to Holland. The New "Island Girl" is the Old "Barbara Jean".

Tommys old "Island Girl" was sold and shipped to Monaco

The new Barbara Jean was the old....
In Memory Walter K

Bertramp is absolutely right. The guy in the next slip from me was a resident of New Jersey with a documented boat, and they nailed him. Used to be that documented boats did not need state registration because they were Federally registered...no more. It's all about $$$$.
Gert van Leest

Island Girl progress

Post by Gert van Leest »

Guys , Sim is absoluty right.

The boat is the ex Barbara Jean its in Holland now at my boatyard , when I am done working and sell my buisiness I will move to Long Island and I put the hailport already on it !!!
The boat is so typical American so that it will be more strange to put Warmond on the back.
Here in Holland Long Island has something magical , it will get me in contact with a lot of boaters that I will make clients...........!!
So enough reasons for me ..
All the best and thanks fot the compliments !!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

a few years back we sold a hell of alot of new jupiters/everglades and other boats to Sweeden,Norway , and Holland . i was told it was all about a little devauation of the dollar compare to there currency .they wanted the best of the best and workmanship was more inportant then price.great people showed no sigh of nervousness when going out the fi inlet wot.

us viking decendents you engish pussies----------------
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks for the clarification guys. Gert, as I posted earlier, you got a nice 31 when you got the Barbara Jean. Russ brought her to the past 4 or 5 North Carolina Bertram rendezvous, and he always had her in great shape. Your work looks awesome, and I was also surprised at how much progress you had made in such a short period of time....you must be cracking the whip on the boatyard. I was also confused until you posted that you envisioned two trans-atlantic trips for her.

Bob, you mentioned Everglades; I have the 243 and as you stated, the quality is unsurpassed from my experience.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy there are some people like me that will not even listen to another person on the subject . call it what ever you like but i have been on,drove every brand center console made ever those real rarety like boca-grande . first of all you should not compare apples and pears that is everglades is built with the only ram injection lay up in the world. the bad news is the molds were 1 million dollars so it reflects in the price. the design is so far advance then any other cc you turn around in total amasement . you have to love that hard top ! little by little you see the top names copy some of it. little stupid inovations like recessed fire ext. and the fg screen that goes up and down to hide the electronics when not in use, center consoles with lock beteen seats to hide valubles and to store charts in a dry place the list keeps going . absolutely the most solid ride in rough water but you give up 2 mph top end for that. i will not even answer a year but been there drove that for 11 years!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473