Teak & Mahogany Cabinetry

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Teak & Mahogany Cabinetry

Post by tunawish »

$5k of Burmese Teak used to build Outdoor Kitchen we finished before winter.
I wasn't to happy with grain of teak given cost but was the best from 2000 B/F I picked, It did even out the more it aged.. still better than the plantation teak I looked at but triple the cost, not sure it was worth it..
No where like the stock that was readily available 10 years ago... Customer still loved it.. Oil finish is Buju's mix with 10% linseed oil..

Chest was duplicated from a photograph designer showed client.. Made out of Crotch Mahogany we had to book match, stain and glaze..
It was redesigned to fit 70% "In the Wall"....
*note painting above turns into TV

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd29 ... 20drawers/

Ray
Last edited by tunawish on Feb 9th, '11, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nice.

Any left over?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

very nice!!....i hate it when folks outdoor stuff is nicer and bigger than my indoor counterpart. (no pun intended, i think)
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mike, what do you need.??

Randall.. One of three magnificent homes this client has ..
plus a 120' Perini Navi,
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

don`t say off topic this is very much the topic of those of us whom find it very differcult to find beautiful grain teak/mahogony for 31 bertram interior!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob,
Noted and Corrected...
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

About 18 months ago I had a local guy get me about 40 board feet of rough 5/4 teak at a price of about $21 per bf delivered to my house. I understand it is now about $25 to $30 per bf. I used some of it to build a teak sliding door and some to do the face framing and trim for the new cabinets I designed and built for the stbd side of the cabin. I use teak veneer on larger flat surfaces, which I get from a veneer mill for about $120 per 4'x8' sheet, paper backed.

I recently asked a local independant old time boat builder what he did with his leftover scrap teak.. he answered that "scrap teak was like scrap p*s*y.. there ain't no such thing!"
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
randall

Post by randall »

bob...lots of scrap left over mahogany here. feel free.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

IRGuy wrote:About 18 months ago I had a local guy get me about 40 board feet of rough 5/4 teak at a price of about $21 per bf delivered to my house. I understand it is now about $25 to $30 per bf. I used some of it to build a teak sliding door and some to do the face framing and trim for the new cabinets I designed and built for the stbd side of the cabin. I use teak veneer on larger flat surfaces, which I get from a veneer mill for about $120 per 4'x8' sheet, paper backed.

I recently asked a local independant old time boat builder what he did with his leftover scrap teak.. he answered that "scrap teak was like scrap p*s*y.. there ain't no such thing!"

That's a pretty good price for Burmese Teak at that small a quantity!! Did they specify weather you received Plantation or Burmese.. ?? We have to ask or they'll sell you Plantation.. When I bought 250 b/f they"gave it to me " for $20 b/f and let me pick it... plantation was around $15 b/f.. butt ugly though..
We get 4x8 sheets of 1/2 " or 3/4" teak veneer laid up on marine ply for about $140 spec order

All my "scrap" teak is taped up in small bundles and in the rack..none of it gets thrown away.. someone / friend is always coming in and needs a small part made.... the mahogany I cut up and burn in the stove..
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

perhaps i might be the minority opinion but i would not consider plantation at any price . i am not building a fence this is the interior of the best boat ever built and if you cannot wait and do the "right" thing then don`t do it at all. this entails looking high and low for one piece of 3" wide by 11/2" thick by 6' long mahogony in tiger grain or quarter sawed as a pro. like buju would correct me.i have two others just trying to match for styles and rails of the door for the head.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Tunawish...

My guy told me it was Burmese, but who knows for sure. When I ran it through my thickness planer it came out great. Although I am rebuilding my boat, I am trying to do it with concerns for cost. I wouldn't mind using plantation grown as long as it was for interior work.. but I bought the batch primarily so I could build an enlarged sliding cabin door. What was leftover I used for trim and the face frame for the new cabinets.

One of the guys in the building where I am working on my boat just bought a bunch of 14" wide 4/4 teak to make covering boards for a 1960 Merritt he is working on. Beautiful stuff.. no blemishes.. perfect!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

IRGuy wrote:Tunawish...

One of the guys in the building where I am working on my boat just bought a bunch of 14" wide 4/4 teak to make covering boards for a 1960 Merritt he is working on. Beautiful stuff.. no blemishes.. perfect!
If he's got 14" wide stock 90% it will be Burmese....Very rare if we see anything over 10"- 12" ... Mahogany I often have at 22" wide ...

Ray
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i looked high and low to find 14" burmise teak . the 31 bertram requires 14" wide due to the curveture at mid ships . i had to use two 7" pcs side by side but instead of biscuits i spline the entire length. i wish i contacted you guys back then ,it would look a hell of lot better without splice!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob
Not uncommon to spline/glue up....much more stable .. just have to match grain.. We rarely use a piece that wide unless it's absolutely necessary and it hardly ever is..
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i match the grain the best i could, at least the transum covering board is one piece. i am still a wood working rookie but i grew up with my father as a general contractor . i use the table saw with datto blade to make grove on both pieces then cut a teak spline the entire lengh and glued with w/p gorrilla . that entire board was set in reinforced 1/2" thick epoxy then screwed with ss screws and washers from the bottom of the gunnel into the covering board -----no bungs or any other outside screws .i now have 11/4" teak,1/2" expoxy , 1/4 " fiberglass (oem.) and 3/4" marine plywood under the gunnel-------there is 0 flex !!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

It's like a race to see who cuts down the last Teak tree. Same thing happened with Honduran mahagony. I'm using Ipe for outdoor furnitrue/decks and spending a lot of time picking through african mahagony stacks (lots of "crap" being shipped over here) for projects.

I am considering Iroko for my B25 woodwork. I have stained and epoxy sealed a few test pieces. Very nice for a lot less $$.

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i was wondering about a wood called lignum vitae . i had no complaint with ipe and use it in my entire interior as a border for doors ,cabinets, and most of all as a border (5/16") around the teak and holly floorboards .a million times better then the stock alluminum crap in looks and wear. the only downside is it is murder on tool bits especially router bits. if you go to a real lumber yard you can pick and choose grain as i did on salon table.try this place www.condonlumber.net .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: Lignum vitae is EXTREMELY HARD and heavy. I think it is also oily. I was used around here in the old days to make marine railways out of. It was also used as bearing material for machinery
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-It's the National Tree of the Island of Jamaica. My memory of it when I worked on Air Jamaica was that they considered it a very hard wood. How hard in terms of carpentry, I don't know.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That's a great application for Ipe. I haven't noticed excessive tool wear with the Ipe wood I've used, but Ipe is a generic name for many different wood types from that area of the world. You never know what tree it came from! I think lignum vitae (ironwood and other names) has similar mechancial properites to Ipe, but I've never worked with it. Very dense tropical woods. Depends on the application on the boat, but I don't see a real advantage to the super hard/dense woods for trim, etc. Too much of a weight penalty and it's next to impossible to get any penetration with seal/stain/varnish. And the splinters are like hyperdermic needles!

Check out the janka hardenss scale for relative comparisons. Lignum vitae wood is so hard I think it could be used for reduction gears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rawleigh/walterk that sounds like great characteristics for covering boards or any other location in the cockpit ,toerail that would be subject to abuse . i would imagine buju has some secret fomula to use to make the wood accept oil or vanish.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Used to live in Islamorada and there is a Lignum Vitae Key(now a state park) just on the bayside where the tree used to grow .I planted one in my yard and twenty years later its only12 feet tall. The wood used to be use as cutlass/shaft bearings for the old WW2 Liberty ships. Hard self lubricating stuff.Could be tough finding big pieces as slow as it grows.
Bill
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

my application for floorboard trim in the cabin was because the teak/ holly plywood can chip on 90 degree edge . the teak/holly is laminated to coosa board and the trim protects both on all edges. total weight is still half the original but that is not a factor because the power is enormous.here is one floorboard

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That looks great bob and looked even better on the boat. I have the metal trim on the edge of my floor and it is a pain in the neck as the corner broke. It's a hassle every Time I check the bildge
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i constantly remove floorboard to put water in fresh water tank.the auto pilot and smart heading sensor flux gate compass is located dead center of bilge below floorboard for maximum accurate reading. so i remove floorboard to keep check . don`t forget this is isolated from cockpit bilge with seperate power,seperate bilge pumps so this area is dry and spotless .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

Bob - leave the "tree of life" alone, and stick with the ipé devilwood.
Lignum Vitae is actually endangered & protected, and I beleive the trade of it is prohibited in the states, because it was harvested to near extinction. I know it's on the CITES listing, I think CITES appd II.
So, chances are, you'd be gettin something similar to Lignum Vitae like Verawood- (which isn't in the same genus) if ordered.
I've screwed around with a little of it. I wouldn't finish it with a clear film. It's got such a high oil content, coupled with incredible density and hardness, that the wood can be polished instead. Buffing pad works great- leaves a nice satin/semigloss sheen, and easy to redux anytime... but that dosen't matter caue you're gonna leave it alone, right Bob? :)

Bill - miss seeing SeaChelle on San Remo... Just finished up some work there, and no pretty B31 to look at on the way out. Bum deal.

Ray - really, really nice job on that mahogany piece, and the teak cabinetry too. But that mahogany grain.... incredible. Keep up the inspirational work my man...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

buju on your word alone i will not touch it and for that matter i am very happy with working with teak, mahogony, ipe wood combination. thanks to you on the preparation of ipe before varnish ------very satisfied. my ipe salon table bulletproof! the grandchildren play here ,coloring books, cut out for crafts and rigging for the crew ,you name it!-----thank again buju

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Buju, ...Thanks..
To bad there are only a few select clients willing to pay for pieces like that... That crotch veneer was stupid expensive..

If you ever want to do anything wild I found a great old timer that has some crazy flitches ....