post question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

post question

Post by coolair »

My Buddy is looking at a 42 or 46 Post. I know nothing about them wondering what yall thought.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

matt
i have never crawled around a post , always liked the lines, and from what ive been told is a solid boat,
1968 hull # 316 - 757
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Matt- I've never been a Post owner, but I play one on TV.

Seriously, in my experience they are famous for very large interior space, well built hull and mechanics, but relatively flat bottomed and a little rough on the bones in any sort of head sea.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I spent many years crawling around posts.

Depending on the size, the spacious interior takes away from ease of access in the engine room and access to machinery in other locations.

Say a 42, Detroit 6 power. Med HP so it ran and ran without too much issues. Some tried to bump up the HP for more speed but ran into the same thing everyone runs into bumping up the hp, reliability issues and hull performance.

There is issues with rot as plywood was used mostly in bait centers and side panels in cockpit.

Windows after a time may leak.

They were a good fishing platform. In the 80's when many guys I knew could buy anything, they bought posts and some fished everyday on them.

Like any boat, a good survey is warranted. They are worth looking at.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I've worked on and run several 80's vintage Posts and don't like them at all... Flat bottom, beat your teeth out, lousy sea keeping abilities, typical New Jersey tub.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

But Pat, all the guys I knew that owned them came from Jersey so they didn't know any better anyways..............
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

My most recent conjunction with Post was Chuck Schumacher's 46. But you're right, the Jersey owners who had them thought they were the cat's ass. Dick Mathews and a couple more of the OPC Jersey bunch come to mind, but then most of them were fair weather owner/operators...

Sure wouldn't want a Post to run around in the Gulf of Mexico Washing Machine.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Capt. Pat,
Sure wouldn't want a Post to run around in the Gulf of Mexico Washing Machine
How right you are on that statement. Your dentist you be your best buddy, and a case of polygrip to go with it.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Matt, I fish with a friend on his 46 out of GYB frequently. In all conditions. Its an extremely fuel efficient hull and works surprisingly well over here. He slow boats at 11-12 knots while I can only do 8 -9 knots in the same conditions. So by morning he is 30 miles further than I. I think its an '86 model and the owner is ultra freaky about the workings of everything. His boat is immaculate and a joy to fish.

I've found the ride no worse than the 46.6 Bert. Again I'm very surprised considering the flatness of the hull. We fish frequently out to Magnolia and beyond. He's got the electronic Cummins C series repowered in/about 2007.
Viva la Presidente!
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have heard they can be a handful in a following sea. the sharp bow entry coupled with a very flat bottom aft makes for a boat that steers itself very easily.

Otherwise I have not heard any major complaints. But in a following sea, depending on who is driving and what the waters are like, they can be very, very exciting, and not in a good way. At all.

Dug
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I've fished/run a 40 Post and a 42 Post several times -- they are very nice boats to be tied up at the dock on, beamy and comforable and nicely appointed, that changes when you slip the lines.....

Also, I was in the bilge of one and noted that the starboard side of the deck was completely delaminated from the hull --- lot of plywood in it too.

Tom
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i think tailhook tom said it best , but dug you name number one problem following seas not head seas . i drive a eighties vintage with detroits . black smoke every time the boat moves but beautiful teak interior.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thanks for info guys.. I knew about the follwoing see issue, and i dont know if any build issues are bettwer or worse, but he was looking at a new model. not 80s
I keep telling him to just bight the bullet on a 50 bert with c18s but who knows

Tom I know which boat you are talking about, i dont think its got enough hp for my buddy.
Thanks again guys
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854