Cummins 210 or 300?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Cummins 210 or 300?

Post by Vince Luciani »

Hello All,

I am preparing for my repower project that I hope will happen sometime this winter and I am trying to do my homework ahead of time. I've made my decision to go with the factory rebuilt Cummins diesels. However, my question/dilema right now is what horsepower to go with. I am repowering from Detroit 453's, so I obviously can deal with a little less speed. Current cruise is abot 17 knots.

I've seen alot of performace data for the 300/330 Cummins and they are impressive. I have not seen as much performance data for the 210's. Can I get a 22 knot cruise with the 210's in the Sportfish model? I like the fact that the 210's don't have aftercoolers (one less thing to break) and should run forever.

My question is, would I be making a mistake not paying for the extra horsepower ? Is the horsepower necessary or just a luxury? I know some of this question is a subjective thing, but, what would you guys do?

Thanks for the input!

Vince
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Vince:

How about the 4bta? Although I have no clue if that is one of the "rebuilt" Cummins that is offered. I know Doc has them in his 31 Sportfish and I believe his boat cruises easily at 24kts. I think the only complaint I have heard on the 4bta is that they rattle at idle.

Tom
no1fishhead

Post by no1fishhead »

I have the cummins 6b5.9 220 hp with zf gears, 20x22 and cruise easy 24 knots+ and burn about 14 gals/hr in my FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Vince - the 210s are just not enough power for the boat. Doubt you could get a 22 kt cruise out of them. My view is that the boats need a minimum of 240 diesel hp a side and a max of 300. I have the 6BTA 250's and the aftercooler is a near zero maintaince item. Look at the reman 270's as middle ground. Those would give you an honest 25 kt cruise and the 300/330 will give you a few knots more, but are a more complex engine. The aftercoolers on the 210 give you 250/270 for free. The Dawn/water wash now and then will keep the aftercoolers in good shape for about 10 cents a side.

UV
JK

Post by JK »

Vince-

You are always welcome to come for a ride with me. Boat is in OC for the summer and will be in AC for this upcoming weekend. After seeing the install and then seeing how Luke did it I would opt to do it yourself if you can.

Swing by OC or AC this weekend if you are around.

--JK
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have the 210's on an older (heavy) Sportsfisherman with an even heavier teak deck. I have had them since 1990 after converting from gas and have never been sorry for doing it. The good news is that they are very simple and almost bulletproof. You can use your 1 3/8" shafts. I am underpropped with 20X20 props and cruise an honest 20 kts at 2400 rpm. With the tide, 22.6-23 kts. With 20 x 22's I have no doubt they will meet your needs. The bad news is that the higher hp engines are probably more desireable at resale. 7 gph at cruise per engine is the norm whether there are 2 of you on board, or six. Whatever you do, Good Luck! Walter
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Walter, love your avitar.....
Thanks for the research, still no joy though
Thudddd