Post by Rawleigh »

Fast and warm!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Anybody got a spare snow mobile.
Ain't doing nothin with the funny car right now and that KB 512 would make a nice repower candidate for the sno mobile!
randall

Post by randall »

i've skied with a tow rope behind a truck. fun...and you dont have to worry about a jet flame incinerating you. at least it was probably warm back there.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I've done some photography of jet airliners taking off. Also got misted lenses (and me) and a bit fuel smelly. Weren't military fighter planes though. Maybe different fuel.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce compatable with funny car when we speak of acceration . pro stock champion with a 90lbs girl on the sled! keeping up with the tricks those canucks pull on us in old forge ny world championships. 124mph in 600 feet!! that the standard for drag race course in snowmobiles. cross finish line at 15,000 rpm . stock yamaha built as first two years in snowmobile world , structual alluminum chassie .a little this and a little that at s&k speed shop unbelievable performance .cluth engaged at 6000rpm and out of the hole up tp 90mph held the the front ski`s in the air!!! seems like yesterday
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob,

Given all your experience with high-performance boats, snow mobiles, etc, I'm glad you're still around and can be a part of this crazy 31 crowd.
That's some high risk sport you've been involved in!

Tommy
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy i just wanted to say one thing about the sport for those whom are not aware . state and federal gorvernment give special privaleges to snowmobiles. ny state allows you to go into the deeps of aderondick park. so you can go 50 miles into the park (much larger then yellowstone park)and cross over 1800`s wooden truss bridges and beautiful views no one else could ever see because it would be differcult on foot even in summer. motorcycles,dirtbikes,quads,and anything else that kicks up dirt is forbidden. there is a terrific trail thru yellowstone that can only be see by snowmobile.they do not damage the earth or trails. the back side of mount marcie is one of the coldest in the northeast like -20 is not uncommon . i feel more coftable in that weather then 105 in the shade in everglades parkway! dress in full leather you don`t feel a thing. there is a hole new world up in old forge,inlet,eagle lake etc. restarants,bars and everything else cater to snowmobiles .you can ride on the roads and highways like 95 north have a trail alongside. the drag race scene i mention is just officially in the town of old forge the first week in febuary.not important to most but the trails are a great family activitee and have seperate trails for those 'SPEEDSTERS" who want to go 100mph cutting in and out with sharp bends on a trail desigh for 25mph machines.i leave that to the young guys . i have to say of every sport i have taken part in this is one of the best.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...i've spent a fair amount of time in the adirondacks myself. its the largest state park in the US. all my travel was in a canoe and you can get way out there on the little streams that run for miles and connect the chains of lakes. mt marcy is also the highest in the state.

you can cover more ground on a snowmobile however.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall i see i even spelled mt. marcy incorrect, wow i wonder how you can read my post sometimes!! anyways there are quite a few places you may have to carry a canoe over land between water ways. the winter is brudal up there everything water is frozen solid by now. we could drive 30 miles on lake george and visit all the little island up lake. needless to say people can`t wait for the winter in places like lake george, lake placid . there is a sign on the side of the road between the two towns " most beautiful road in american." scroon lake is another place 125mph runs on the lake -----outstanding
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

how times have changed....the summer when i was 8 my parents sent me to a camp in the adirondacks where you canoed around for weeks. life jackets?....nope. you had to swim a half mile and then you could go. our leader was this great 18 year old guy . there were four groups and the other three leaders couldn't understand why we(our group of 3 canoes) were so obedient and well behaved. the answer was for all the really long portage's our guy hired a truck. for the rest you rolled your sleeping bag the long way...made a hoeseshoe out of it and put it around your neck to rest the thwart on. did it for 4 great summers.....then i started working at the beach clubs and surfing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy i think high risk sports go a little further. we had a social club at a mariner . extremely wealthy single guys with adventure on there mind. my friend joe bought a para-sail, so we hook it up to the back of his 24' super boat and use it off fire island in great south bay. well the rig came with around 300' of braded line . wow lets make it 600' and see what happens!!! now we need a "dummy" ha ha bob will do it. well here i am on water ski`s and the boat takes off ,in seconds i am way-way to far in the air with no communications to the boat----not to smart,any ways very differcult to slow boat to coodinate with air uplift.-----concussion,broken ribs , etc. now we buy a ultra lite plane that take off in 400' from the marina.a ww1 dublicate of red barron. lots and lots of official problems! we landed it on fire island beach along the water edge in hard sand . federal rangers,suffolk police, coast guard and faa from macarthur airport after us. we took off and put it inside maintenance building at tabot marine.like i said not to smart but quite a adventure.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...you just know how to have fun!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall you just can`t make this stuff up! sometimes things start out normal like one of them who inherited a large insurance agency on long island. first he starts out with the toys two new custom fat boys, cobra 427" kit cars but sooner or later it turns to big dollar race boat . this guy befriended ceo of virgin airways and had a 24' skater cat that became two tome world chapion. then joey d and joe i became world champs in apba "m" class joe i went on to become the best of the best throttleman and did his thing on the world champ open division. the florida boys used to come for a visit and say nowhere in the state of florida could you run 130mph in the front of the marina. and a work slip you could pull into lift the boat with the water intakes in water and tune inboards without doing the stupid hatch open at high speed. marine researth and development use to take slip time here for offshore engines. there were a few more with a ton of money and the want for a raceboat. hanging around the huge matinance building with the "doors close" was more marine education from the best of the best in the apba. howie the owner of the marina was one of the officials in the apba.i rebuilt my 28' cigarette inside that building . then were the days now a very differant world.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i did a full soup to nuts conversion from twin smallblock mercruiser to twin counter rotatating mercury outboards. i had one fuel tank in v-berth and one mid ship. boat sat perfectly level in water. randall what do you have left on your " bucket list ".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

nothing.....i just want to keep doing what i love to do. its funny how things work. today i went cross country skiing alone deep in the woods. totally tame and quite beautiful......but it did occur to me that if i fell and broke my leg no one was coming to rescue me....no one even knew where i was.

its amazing the sh!t we've gotten away with. i think if you asked everyone here you would hear A LOT of similar stories.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall- keep your cell phone with you. When Dinaz slipped on black ice and broke her leg two years ago, it was her cell call that got me to find her and get her to the hospital. I would have waited for an hour before I would have gone out looking for her.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob,

Sounds like a blast. So, is there an outfitter that you recommend for a guided snowmobile tour to those great spots in the Adirondacks? I've had the pleasure of snowmobiling in Yellowstone, but we had to stay on roads and marked paths, so we couldn't chase any powder.

Tommy
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy just think about putting snow shoes on. essentially that is the conversion it takes just 5 minutes to slip the "paddles" over the front ski`s. now you converted the sled to travel off the path on to fresh snow .however be very carefull where you get off sled could be in 15' of snow!!. you would go to utica NY. then north on rt. 28 (only major road going north) you come to old forge ny snowmobile capital of USA.snowfall is at least 12' a year so you are good from november till march . rent snowmobiles in many differant places up there one is BIG MOOSE YAMAHA which is located on eagle lake ---beautiful scenery with big restarant/ bar which appears to be in middle of lake! we rent a cottage with cooking facilities in nearby town of inlet . ride machine right up to door. very inexpensive trip for family, trails are well marked and for adventures like randall you could ride right to canada without seeing any houses or towns ----nothing but lakes,rivers ,deer, mountains and pine trees cover in snow . best father/son or dauther bonding i ever encountered.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, thanks for the tips. This is a good one to add to the bucket list!

Tommy
randall

Post by randall »

bob....old forge is where we started out canoe trips. down the fulton chain of lakes...racquett lake, tuper lake, long lake, all the way to saranac lake. west, blue and marcy mountains on the way.

its become popular to go backcountry skiing with two man teams and snowmobiles. a little avalanche awareness training is a good idea before venturing off trail. i've seen the results of ignorance.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall thats exactly the area we snowmobile in . then the speed bug came along. ok---john, rocky, bruce this is how i did it; i change from yamaha to artic cat mainly because of the suspention. to make a sleeper i pick a machine about two notches down from top dog. a big weight advantage came with it and much more lower and sleeker however no starter motor. i bored and trued up cylinders ,then sent out pistons to be ceramic coated with ceramic rings. sent out huge after market mukuni carbs to polished and slides modified.i modified the intake manifold and put the juice and seperate gas nozzles in. i used a lawn mower fuel tank filled with purple cam two 110 octane with klotz oil. under the cowl on the other side i had a two quart nitrous oxide bottle that i used to freeze before filling from big tank .i had snaked the solonoid wires thru the handle bars to a buttom which appear to go to a common thumb warmer. i then extender the track distance by using the track from the top dog (thunder cat).modified the shocks to shift weight to track with 144 carbide picks.the heads and exhaust were hightly modified for top end.the six of us would pull up to a bar and word to word someone with a top dod would gladly run you for two hundred or so. dressed in all black leather and helmet i was loving it.never lost but the name and machine goes around quickly. come out of the chutes about 10' and press the button-------wow
capt.bob lico
bero13010473