Dreamsicle - getting it together - shifting question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Dreamsicle - getting it together - shifting question

Post by Mikey »

In no particular order I am going to start plying the Faithful with questions hoping not to have to reinvent the damn wheel.
One - Dreamsicle came with badly corroded Morse MT-3 shift unit which I would gladly replace with new except that it appears from my research that they are still making the same corrosion-prone item after all these years. I am trying to replace all exterior bright metal with S/S with the exception of the bow chock and rear flag pole holder.
So does anyone manufacture a deck unit of S/S that will accept the push/pull cables / one lever per engine?
More later.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
scot

Post by scot »

The Morse units are chrome plated pewter...yuck. I found several companies that make chromed over brass in the 2 lever version...cheap (read $150 bucks) I prefer the twin lever but that's a personal preference.

I replaced an MT2 on my current boat 5 years ago and have had no problems with the chromed brass. I believe Morse also makes this variation.

To answer the question, I have never seen an all SS unit, most I have seen are chrome/brass.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
BillinFI

Engine Control

Post by BillinFI »

Try Kobelt. - http://www.kobelt.com/ -

These folks in Canada build stuff out of true marine grade materials - bronze and SS. I have some of their stuff and it is bulletproof. It is a little difficult to find, but give 'em a call and be happy ever after!

Bill
scot

Post by scot »

Bill,

Thumbs up on the Kobelt stuff, but break out the saving account. Their stuff is very popular in the commercial marine industry and most of it will out last the vessel's owner.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thereheis

shifting

Post by thereheis »

i replaced mine with the solo5300 single lever side controls,they also make a top mount,,looks really good,the ones i got are built like a tank .seems like they will hold for a long time,,,,

phil