VHF Radio Recommendations?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sean B

VHF Radio Recommendations?

Post by Sean B »

I'm in the market for a new VHF radio. My old fixed-mount ICOM that came with the boat has been great far several years, but the display screen is now failed and washed out. It still works but unless I hit the red "16" button I don't know what channel I'm on, because the screen is an orange blurr. Was thinking I should get a new one with the newer capabilities and gizmos instead of trying to get the old girl fixed.

I did a search of this site and a couple others, but didn't find too much advice. SO - anybody have recomendations or advice? Was looking at a new ICOM, Raymarine, and also the Garmin model that has most of it's brains mounted under the helm (that's pretty cool but expen$ive). I do take the boat far offshore periodically, so I want to have a good one.

Thanks in advance for any advice
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

In my view the older ICOM 120 series are the best, say the 125, 126, & 127s...they are built on a commercail aluminum chassis like a brick sh*thouse, and can easily be tweaked up to close to 50 watts. Try eBay....I use a 125 as my primary and bought a used 126 on eBay for 100 bucks years ago as a spare. Most of the other brands are garbage, plastic junk.

Call Bobby Perez at Sea Trac in New Orleans and I'll bet they can replace your shot display.

UV
Peter

Post by Peter »

I don't have specific model recommendations for you but this vendor worked out great for me:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Search/Searc ... =VHF+radio

They carry most of the brands, have good prices and fast service.

All the new VHF's have DSC capabillity which I fretted over and researced to some length when I was trying to get a replacement radio last summer. There is a thread on this forum somewhere about it (August 2010)

I was not getting to a lot of comfort factor that I understood the DSC stuff, and needing a radio fast I eventually just went cheap figuring if I got one with inferior features I'd just stash it as a spare and invest in something better.

I bought the Standard Horizon GX1000S

The thing works just great. Absolutely no complaints... strong signal; clear audio; reasonably weatherproof...what else do you need?

As for the DSC stuff.... frankly I dind't even bother to connect the new radio to the GPS because I was in a hurry to get operational and didn't feel like messing about with it; and as it turns out not many people have though it isn't difficult if you have a GPS with the right output mounted nearby... but you do have to register the "station" (voluntary and free in USA for non-commercial vessles)

So bottom line is I still can't tell you much about how the DSC stuff really works, or if one radio or brand is better than another in that regard (but then neither can anybody else I 've asked) other than you can choose to ignore it and the radio will work just fine.

One new feature is if another vessle makes an "All stations call" it switches your radio to their channel automatically so that you hear their traffic. The idea is that if it is a mayday you don't need to be on 16 to receive it.... but it is also true for security calls.... I only experienced this one time so far: A security call went out from a commercial vessle... I heard his call (on ch 13 I think, but it is immaterial) After his call was done my radio went back to the channel I was previously monitoring... so the channel switch was only during his transmission. It is not at all clear that all of the radios do this. From the way the stuff is worded it may be that some switch to the new channel and stay there....

Peter

Peter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh yeah... I should add that if you get one of these newfangled radios you too can make an "All stations" call. I do not believe you have to have it registered to do so. The point being that if you are in a distress situation and you make a "conventional" (not automated) mayday call, AND you make it as an "All stations" call every vessle in range who also has a new style radio will hear your call regardless of what station they may happen to be monitoring.

Your unit doesn't need to be hooked up to the GPS for this to work... It could come in handy

On another similar light I can see how it might be handy for certain commercial operators for security calls too: Say you are in command of a tug and a string of barges on a foggy day and you are painting a lot of fishing boats nearby on your radar. You may not know what channel they are chattering on, but if you do an "all stations" security call then any of them with newer radios will hear you and presumably relay the information to their buddies.

Peter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I like the Standard Horizon. Always works great for me. I had mine kicked up a bit. I have not been nice to mine and they both work all the time, perfect.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ok guys, I'll bite, how do they juice them up past 25.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Inside thr radio there are these thing called pots. They are square and have a screw on top that has a color wax coating them. The wax keeps them in a factory setting. By turning the right pots you can boost the radio up a great deal. But it has to be the right pots. Also there is no sending it back to be fixxed. Once they see the pots have be changed you are done. I run two radios. One is about 100W only for big trouble the other on high is about 65w or low 35w. I dont talk on the radio very much at all. I have a really great RDF that is money. That is what I use most.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ok. so the next time I upgrade I need to find a radio geek to look at the old one and juice it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Peter

Post by Peter »

Since VHF is line of sight.... i.e. it doesn't broadcast past the horizon as seen by the antenna.... how much do you gain by turning up the power?

Once you have reached the limit set by the antenna height of your boat and the antenna height of the recieving station you're pretty much done unless you have a lucky situation in atmosphericic anomalies.... like the old CB days when we used to be able to listen to stations ridiculously far away on the "skip" ... usually in the early morning. And I'm not at all sure that works with VHF anyway.

Of course if the receiving station is a land station with a tall tower (like a CG station) then the power boost might be worth while.... but if you really need to "get out" that far maybe you should go SSB? Or sat phone? And maybe you should think about one of the new EPIRB's.

On the other hand the "all stations call" thing on the new VHF radios triggers every new VHF within range to hear your call... and those guys are probably your best hope for a quick assit anyway since they are mostly nearby.

Just my 2 cents...

By the way: several channels on the VHF were dedicated to "Marine Operator" to make telephone calls. I actually did that a few times back when.... However those operators were private contractors. Do any marine operators still exist? If not are those channels now available for other communications? (Leagally or not)

With the widespread use of cell phones it seems like wasted bandwidth to leave those chanels silent if there are no marine operators left....

Peter
In Memory of Vicroy

Even tho its line of sight, pepping it up makes a whole lot of difference. The 158 MHz range is not totally line of sight like the higher freq. so you get some bounce. Be sure you have a quality antenna and check the SWR (standing wave ratio) before ramping up too much as a high SWR can damage the output end of the radio. Another way to go is adding a 2 meter ham amp, same freq. range and they are pretty cheap. A couple hundred watts will do real good, especially in bad weather.

The DSC is kinda a gimmick in the VHF stuff, but a real safety net on SSB. I have an ICOM 802 SSB and its hooked up to a GPS and registered with a MMSI number...same as a phone number, and if I hit the red button, hold it down for 2 seconds, it transmits my i.d. info and location to the CG....I test it by pre-arrangement with the CG about once a year. I test the output of the SSB by holding a 4 foot flourescent tube parallel to the antenna and key the mike....yep, it lights up. Mine gets brighter than most, if you follow me.

The SWR is the most important tho, with one to one being the Holy Grail and anything under about 1.5 to one good. The PL-259 connector on the back of the radio and end of the antenna cable is a weak spot....needs a shot of CX about once a month, like all your electronics plugs.

Adios....

UV
Brewster Minton

I went with the boost because I fish sometimes 130 miles out. If I have to call a mayday I want them to hear me the first time.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

UV

What's short money. I Just did a search and I come up with a couple of hundred. Under a bill it might be a deal but over not sure.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Tony - you talking about the radio or the amp?

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Vic

The amp. Maybe I am looking at the wrong kind of amp?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Tony, I can get my guy to do the radio for a case of beer. Let me know.
In Memory of Vicroy

I deal with AES - www.aesham.com - which is probably the biggest ham radio outfit around. Look at the 2 meter amps, and be sure to check out their used stuff, alsways checked out and first class.

Brew's case of beer deal sounds like the way to go.....

UV
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brew

I need to get a back up radio. When I do, I might take you up on your offer. Sounds like the way to go. Beats dragging a SSB around when you aren't really going to talk on it except for an emergency.

Vic

Going to check out your site also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315