Major energy achievement this year?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Major energy achievement this year?

Post by Bruce »

Did a pickup gig at a pretty exclusive New Years eve party last night and overheard some wealthy investors talking about a guy who has for the last 20 years predicted very accurately trends and investments and that he is saying that some time this year a life changing energy source will become available.

Couldn't get anything out of these guys cause I was just the lowly band guy, but anyone hear anything about this?

I was thinking possibly cold fusion
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

can say exactly but it involves rare earth . presently used in new chevy volt . fourtunaly usa has a mine that is proven positive for rare earth the other country with proven deposits is china.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Cold fusion does not work. Ask me how I know.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Heard that China is restricting exports of Rare earth.. up to 70% ... gonna set the market on the stuff..
Oh I kinda liked the band too.
randall

Post by randall »

i hope its teleportation. beam me up scotty.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Rare Earth, miniature magnets, GM and China.

[edit] Geo-political considerations
China has officially cited environmental issues as one of the key factors for its recent regulation on the industry, but non-environmental motives have also been imputed to China's rare earth policy.[35] According to The Economist, "Slashing their exports of rare-earth metals...is all about moving Chinese manufacturers up the supply chain, so they can sell valuable finished goods to the world rather than lowly raw materials."[36] One possible example is the division of General Motors which deals with miniaturized magnet research, which shut down its US office and moved all of its staff to China in 2006.[37]

It was reported,[38] but officially denied,[39] that China instituted an export ban on shipments of rare earth oxides (but not alloys) to Japan on 22 September 2010, in response to the detainment of a Chinese fishing boat captain by the Japanese Coast Guard.[40] On September 2, 2010, a few days before the fishing boat incident, The Economist reported that "China...in July announced the latest in a series of annual export reductions, this time by 40% to precisely 30,258 tonnes."[41]
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
John F.

Post by John F. »

randall wrote:i hope its teleportation. beam me up scotty.
Sounds good to me...it'll help with the commute. Just think of all the Bertram Rend. we could get to. Gotta' make it big enough so the boats can come to. Maybe Capt. Pat and his alloy offshore boat could get beamed to the canyons on a nice day....
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Peter

Post by Peter »

Check this out: Sunlight and CO2 in => fuel out

http://www.jouleunlimited.com/about/overview

It all began when a researcher found a bacteria (I thik it is a bacteria, but I'm not a biologist, so it may be some other form of micro organism) in the muck in Quabban resevoir in Massachusetts that makes it possible. Sunlight and CO2 directly to fuel.... No intermediate fermenting steps. Prior to that surprise discovery all other forms of bio based fuel needed some sort of second process to be done by man or nature.

http://www.green-solar-wind-hydrogen-en ... creen.html

I fist saw something on it about 18 months ago and it piqued my curiosity. I've had a Post It note with the company name written on it stuck to my desktop ever since to remind me to keep an eye on them.

Magnets made with rare earth elements can make smaller stronger magnets, but then that is used to make electricity the same old same old way. Maybe gen sets and electric motors can get a bit smaller, but rare earth magenets aren't really a game changer or a new source of energy.

Or maybe the Fat Cats were just referring to a more stable Iraq giving us access to humongous oil reserves that have been bottled for a generation up by the wars.... When/if that stuff starts pumping again there is no way oil prices aren't going to fall.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter it is already being pumped by a consortumn of bp/ china oil goes thru pipeline to supply all of france/turkey. did not know you could post this sort of thing .jp i invested in the key stock early now up 225% my dream is to kidnap buju/capt patrick and give them a offer they can`t refuse; bertram 31 in kevlar 49 ,trimed in teak and powered by cat. -------------amen
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Here's another based on sunlight and cerium.

http://solveclimatenews.com/news/201012 ... l-sunlight
Harv
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

It wasn't petrol based, that's what the hubb bubb was about.
Don't think it was rare earth either. I heard the volt is a joke in practicality.
Possibly the co2 sunlight.

I guess well see.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Bruce. What do you play?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Actaully the Volt is the most practical of the 'electiric vehicles'. Although is is really a range extended electric vehicle.

DISCLAIMER: I work for GM and my plant will be building the 1.4L engine used in the Volt.

For those with a short commute, don't need a large vehicle, but still want to be able to drive a few hundred mile to visit friends, relatives, etc. The Volt is the only viable electric alternative.

Now having said that , I really wish the US consumer would embrace diesel. You can get a VW turbo diesel that appraoches 50 mpg.

Ian.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Play guitar.

My Brother just got the hybrid Escalade. Just looked at it yesterday.
Gets 16 on the hwy but the savings is in city at about 30 running on the batteries and once in a while the engine kicks in on 2 cyl to charge batteries which the bank is under the back seat.

The volt will flop as will most electric cars.
People realize it takes energy to charge the batteries, batteries at this point are not developed enough for the apps and the expense of maintaing just doesn't make the investment pay off.

It's like having a million dollars worth of minerals on your property but will cost 1.2 million to excavate.

why the us didn't develop more diesel is something that will have to be asked to the auto execs and oil company execs in those private closed door meetings.

It's all about the Benjamins.
Buju

Post by Buju »

my dream is to kidnap buju/capt patrick and give them a offer they can`t refuse; bertram 31 in kevlar 49 ,trimed in teak and powered by cat.
What, no nanobots involved? Or matter/antimatter propulsion systems?

Your a funny dude Bob, and I'm flattered that you think so highly of my wood finishing. But truth be told, I aint got nothing in my bagga-tricks that Capt. Patrick probably hasn't been doing since I was shittin yeller. If ya got him, ya surely wont need me. But I'd love to be involved anyways...
Do it.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh yes the propulsion would be unique. 6 blade props similar to nuclear submarine and------------
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Actually, I've perfected the GPS.....the Grosbeak Propulsion System, which was first discloced here some 10 years ago. I'm selling limited partnership shares to a selected few. Each unit is only $7,238.50. Make checks payable to Uncle Vic, Esq. and mail to me c/o Mr. Patterson, Pinas Bay, Panama. I will send your official certificate by return pigeon.

It turned out that the ky to ramping up the power of the GPS some ten-fold was by proportionaly increasing the volume of pogies ingested by the Grosbeaks divided by the weight of the maul used to whack the pressure vessel.

Our planet will be a better place.

UV
coolair

Post by coolair »

I don't think our government wants us using diesel with all the new retarded emissions and fluids they want in them.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Vicroy wrote:-divided by the weight of the maul used to whack the pressure vessel.

UV
Love it.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage