256 Steyr deal?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

256 Steyr deal?

Post by Rocky »

I came across this Steyr for sale , but says set up for drives. Buy it now price sounds cheap, too much of an unknown? Is the setup for drives easy to convert/change to ZFs?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steyr-25 ... 255f44d7ea
coolair

Post by coolair »

theres only one!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

If I can commit to one of these, I would commit to the other three(both ZFs and the other Steyr) if the company aint goin anywere for a while.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

They are supposed to be great engines. Bruce is the expert on them.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky,
Dad has a pair of the 236hp in his boat (28' Hatter-ass )and loves them.
Loves them so much he decided to truck the boat with him to Florida instead of selling and finding something down there.

Quiet, light and economical. just pulled out teh 440 Chrylsers and dropped these in with no Stringer modifications, used the same running gear...just upped the pitch.

Down side is service and parts. Steyr service was being changed around..not sure about it other then finding someone was becoming a challenge. Parts can be had...many Stateside others need to come in from Austria and are not cheap...like $1500.00 to replace the raw water pump, many parts are propriitory so little chance of finding substutes.

If you want to speak with dad about his motors, drop me a PM and I'll give you his number.

Carl
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Carl, shot ya a PM.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Rocky,
The Styers have been around for quite awhile, but reletivly new in the US.

I was at the Workboat show in New Orleans yesterday and got to talk to the Panama City, Fla Dist. for a good bit and left with a good feeling for the commitment Styer was investing in the U.S.

The Rep said Styer's prior glitch with their U.S. launch (around 2000? the trouble started) was the choice of a distributor (Stewart & Stevenson)... don't know any details why that didn't work out.

I bought 2 new Styer's off of ebay a couple months ago and plan on starting a repower on my 31 next summer.

I saw the ebay ad also..... I'm always leary of RTO's (running take outs) I wonder why they didn't work for the original owner?

Ray
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Ray, I'm sure you'll be glad you jumped on that deal/ Ebay. Yes I'm concerned about the RTO thing also, esp if theres no documentation on were they have been. Might just wait for a deal like you came across.
Thanks
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Carl: how do they stack up power wise to the 440's? Was the cruise the same?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rocky may know more about that then I do...LOL...

Rawleigh, the Steyrs RPM range is pretty similar to the 440's. He used same running gear and increased wheel pitch, plus these motors are lighter, so he cruises faster and uses much less fuel.

Exact numbers...I'd say its about 3-4mph faster at almost half the burn. He was getting about .9mpg with the 440's and now I believe he is about 2mpg if he cruises at the same speeds as before which is what I believe he opted for.

I really haven't been on his boat much since he converted over and I try not to let him start going into the performance details...ask Rocky why.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

If I heard correctly, .7 with 440s and over 2 with the Steyrs but also, this is not a 31 it's a 28 Hatter-ass with 18K lbs displacement. Very impressive numbers for that wieght I thought. Also the ability to not have to throttle up waves and back on down sides of waves, stays a constant RPM due to rotaing mass. All this info, and a WHOLE lot more! Great guy.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

There's a crap load of Steyr info if anyone has questions from years past using the boards search function.

I'm not sure if the Panama dist is the same as when I was with them. I had heard they folded.

The bottom line now as before and always will be is someone willing to take a chance. Kevin did and got a deal, the engines run great with terrific fuel milage.

I had offered to do a repower with FREE labor and a highly reduced engine price and got NO takers.
Savings would have been 15 to 20k minimum.

I wouldn't buy a used engine unless I had a history. Especially one as different as Steyr. Not sure how many of the dealers are left.
Rich

Stery's arround to stay!

Post by Rich »

Gent's,
Steyr Motors North America is here to stay, for sure there were changes, we hope always for the better. SMONA is home based in Panama City FL, owned by the Factory, Steyr Motors Austria.

I don't see a lot of used engines but know most Steyr Owners in the USA, ask for a serial number, we can run the numbers, I looked at the photos of the engine on E-bay, yes it is a stern drive set up. You can always have the engines inspected by a dealer. Conversion to inboard is not difficult, flywheel housing, coupler and mounting ring, remove (if you want you can just loop the oil lines through the cooler and leave the PS pump) the PS pump, belts, hose's and mount bracket. Could most likely be done for under a grand in parts. The triple cooler is used for the PS fluid or trany oil, you will need our oil line kit for the gear box, just look at www.steyr-motors.com under distributors, then dealer network for USA to find a dealer or call my office at 1-850-784-7933, I'll be happy to help!
Rich
STEYR MOTORS North America, GM
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Rich,

Thanks for the good info and glad to see you come out of hiding.

Br,

Patrick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Being an insider for many years and you all know I had no loyalties except to those who treated my customers well, Rich's response and tone of reply gives me nothing but confidence in dealing with them.

Now as before I give Steyr a good review and would use them in my boat.

My only regret was not going to the factory school before retiring.

Out of all the engine companies I represented and worked on, I have to say Steyr was the only one who seemed really interested in the end consumer WITH concern for the dealer at the same time.

I'm sorry to say I cannot say that for another maker I dealt with.

Good luck with business Rich.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Gent's,

Many thanks for your reply. As for retiring, I did that in August 1998 after 25 years in U.S.A.F. and 30 days later rehired right into the marine business, so no retirement.

Bruce, if a Factory training would give you better understanding, I have a Dealer Training scheduled in January, call my office for details. During the past Fort Lauderdale International Boat show, we trained 25 Dealers at Broward College, BC has Steyr as part of they Marine Course and are doing a fine job. We have trained 15 Tech's in the Seattle area with Cap Sante International and 12 Tech's in San Diego this year as well.

Steyr will be in the new Coast Guard Adds To Navigation Boats being built by Metal Shark Boats. We are already in many Fast Rescue Boats on NOAA ships, built by Willard, Fassmer, Norsafe to mention a few. Also in January, we will have a USCG training, from their Tech's.

We will continue our growth as our market returns Steyr will be in more boats, keep your eyes open.

BR,
Rich
coolair

Post by coolair »

ok, so you could possibly keep stock gear if you run styers??
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rich

Post by Rich »

Possible, depends on factors such as hull weight, performance required, type gears being used and ratio, current engines and gears being used and so on,

There are cases where the same gear box, shafts and repitching of props have done the job.

If you are replacing gas engines, were one is standard and one is counter rotating, you will most likely have to replace the gears.

In any case, always consult an expert on gear box application.
Rich
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you Rich for your information, that's more great news about the Steyr diesel and company. I did talk to the owner of the E-bay Steyr, but too late to ask about serial # as did not know to ask but, we did talk for a while and says (more than originally thought) it has 136 hours on it, is set up to run(he's started it up more than 50 times for people),within spec oil psi, and has it's twin in a Cruisers boat and could not say enough about how they run. He also accessed with software the code section: no trouble codes/abnormalities. Auction ended, but could still get a hold of him if needed. Thank you again Rich.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Steyrs are high revving motors similar to Yanmars...

Meaning if you are doing a fairly even Power Swap of Gas to Diesel and Not adding Reduction...you may be able to get away with just adding pitch to the Nibral Wheels. If your going up in HP and/or adding reduction so you can turn a bigger, usually more efficient wheel, you may need to go up a Shaft size...or two like me as I run 1-1/4"
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I am not sure if this will work but I we can try. Go to this link and download the software. It's free.

http://www.steyr-motors.com/technical/technical.htm

I have data logs of my engines running that may help answer lots of questions. I am trying to find a way to save one so I can put it in an email as an attachment. Bruce or Rich, is this possible? Copy and paste is not working with these files.

From the couplers back I changed nothing (gas to diesel). Still using 1 1/8 shafts.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Kevin, nice hat, time you get a new one?

In the SMO-EDT is the LST file, this holds all log files you have saved.

To attached a saved log file to an mail, select attach file, follow menu to your C drive, Program files, look for the SMO-EDT folder, then the LST folder, here you will find the saved log files. Attach the file and send to me so I can review.

You can down load ALL Manuals (Parts, Service, Installation, Owners) from the Steyr web site under Technical and the SMO-EDT program and up dates, however, you must have a data cable, this can be purchased from a Dealer.

Hope this helps.

Hows the boat running, I never heard what top speed and performance was done, thanks.
Rich
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Rich,

I think that worked. I was able to retrieve files and I sent them to your email.

Kevin
coolair

Post by coolair »

Sim
i get the high revin part,
but how you compare the power... i have 340/350 hp gas. what would the equivalent diesel be? the 256?
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

If anyone wants to see the log files I am now able to email them to anyone interested. It basically gives all the engine sensor readings on a sliding graph. Cool if you are into that stuff.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I'd like to see those Kevin, thanks.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Send me a PM with your email. Files are ready to go.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kevin I sent you a PM, thank you much.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Rich,
I did attend the school in Panama city. 3 days or so. And I think you were involved with the other group cause If I remember you did most of the teaching as the direct factory rep.

The engines and their operation I got, I was more interested in the Austrian school. I heard the food and beer was excellent from Sid.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bruce,

Yes, and we are returning for a short visit in January! You need a sponsor, normally this course is for Dealers only, drop me a line or call me at 850-784-7933

We now do the 3 day course at our SMONA Facility Warehouse in Panama City. The class you attended was sponored by the old Distributor.
Rich