Steve's Restoration

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Steve's Restoration

Post by SteveM »

I'm just starting to peel the layers off this boat to dial it in. I've got a few cosmetic questions that some of you might be able to help with. I am sure I will find more and more questions that I will post on this thread as I go along. This was the first weekend assessing the boat in the yard. I am a nut for originality when something is this close already.

Marlin came by yesterday. GREAT guy. I hope to see the Wahoo this week, it sounds even more impressive than the last pictures posted.

1. What is the recommended method of re securing loose rivits that hold the aluminum trim?

2. The window track fuzzy/rubber material has disintegrated. Does anyone have a resource for this material and a method of installation?

3. This one may be the easiest. Any good remedies for filling in holes in the brown formica finish to make it look good?

4. Is there a resource for the curtain studs or whatever was placed in the curtain for it to ride in these tracks?

Thanks. It should get more interesting each day.

Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Carl

Post by Carl »

Here is my method of quick fix's

Rivet- Drill or yank out old rivet then try to put in a new rivet...if it won't hold fill and try again or go with a screw.

Window- I just cleaned out the crud...

Formica- Good luck!. I filled the holes, blended it in. Looked okay...think I was the only one who noticed them...in the cabin I hing a clock over the patch...outside I painted the entire panel and have done so every few years...when i get the time I will either paint correctly or reface with formica.

The track- Your canvas guy should have what you need. Its a rubber extrusion that slides in the channel and you can sew fabric to the tail.

Have fun and good luck,
Carl
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

As far as the fuzzy track the windows slide in.. any good custom glass shop should have a selection, or they can order it for you. As a matter of fact I have quite a bit left over from a window job I did on my boat.. let me know how much you need and I can see if I have enough for your job. As I recall my glass guy ordered it for me and I had to buy a minimum amount, which was way more than I needed.

It can be had for a donation to this site. We can work out details once we see if I have enough for you.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks IRGuy, I will measure and get back to you.
Steve Marinak
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Since I lack any craftsmanship or artistic talent, my remedy for the hole in the Formica was to find the appropriate size stainless steel bolt (round head, countersunk) and insert with a finishing washer. Once the locknut is tightened on, it does not jump out as "unfinished" to the casual eye. I did this as a temporary fix one time.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Wipe the borwn formica with Penetrol (rthe paint additive) and it will look like new....put some on a rag, wipe it on, wait a minute, then wipe the excess off.

One of da Judge's potions......

UV
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Tommy, I was more thinking of finding some wood grain formica, taking a hole punch and creating small circles of formica. Filling the holes with wood filler and gluing the small formica circles into the holes.

Vic thanks for the tip!
Steve Marinak
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

There are some wood fillers that come in different wood finishes. Match the color, fill the holes flush and if you or anyone in your family has a degree of artistic talent, get some "Sharpie" markers in brown tones and match the wood grain in the filled areas.
As far as those rivets go, clip them and push them through, then replace them with an inexpensive rivet gun,
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Re: Window Insulation, I bought "window pile" for my B28 here (not sure if it's the same stuff you need):

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/sitesear ... dow%20pile

I think I may have used PE welding rod to replace the runner the windows actually slide across:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... d=redirect
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Mix up some teak dust and clear silicon into a stiff paste, fill in the holes, wipe with alcohol, you might have to do it twice to fill the hole completely. Works pretty good, the Formica is made by Wilson Art, there is a company in Riveira Beach at the intersection of Austrailian and Blue Heron Blvd, opposite the public works garage. I can't think of the company name but I can see the building. I am going down that way Thursday, I have some strips of the Formica as sample, I'll let you know what happens. You can cover the holes with trash disposal placard sign if you don't have one.
Window track can be had at a large auto glass company, try your local window doctor store. Thats were I got the bulb seal for the front opening windows, it reduced the leaking around the windows by 95%. There are a bunch of small slotted screws that hold the track in place, do it while the boat is still in the yard, easier than dropping parts overboard and step ladder is easier than kneeling on the narrow gunwhale. Rivets, pull or drill the old ones out, and fill with epoxey and redrill and re-rivot. Pete Fallon 561-310-7179 cell
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Carl

Post by Carl »

floridaskater wrote:Tommy, I was more thinking of finding some wood grain formica, taking a hole punch and creating small circles of formica. Filling the holes with wood filler and gluing the small formica circles into the holes.

Vic thanks for the tip!

Goes under the heading,, "nobody but you, will ever notice...but you will think it sticks out like a sour thumb"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

4. Is there a resource for the curtain studs
Taco Curtain Track Eyelet Carrier
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Like Tommy I just put screws back in the holes in the Formica. American Marine also has the window felt.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Sreve have the White Brothers take a look