Engines area, let water pass through?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

Engines area, let water pass through?

Post by Rocky »

I know it could very well have been discussd before, but I cannot find it, are we keeping with Bertram's design to allow water to flow through forward/ aft bulkheads or sealing them off? I thought I'd read " if inspected" and is a newly constructed area had to be capped off. My preference would be let it flow as it did so water would not puddle there under engines, any thoughts? Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nope, gotta' close off the bilge under the engines. Oil leaks are not permitted to enter the common bilge and get pumped overboard by the bilge pumps.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Capt Pat would this apply to outboard stringers as well, not really directly "under" engines or would they frown on that too? I'm currently laminating my rear bulkhead now, 2 layers 1708 as you said both sides. Strong! Amazingly not necessarily lighter though, the forward bulkheads weighed alot also but boy, are they strong/rigid pieces once that sandwich is applied. Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Only to the bilge directly below the main engines...
but boy, are they strong/rigid pieces once that sandwich is applied
See: Basic Composite Structure and Benefits of Core Materials
randall

Post by randall »

i guess my boat being original in this regard is not in "compliance". one thing to remember ,at least as far as im concerned ,is that every sealed off area have either a pump or a valve. a big valve.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

You're fine, Randy, since your's is just about completely stock configuration and would be grandfathered.

Only applies to new manufacture and re-furbished to be new.

One alternative would be to embed a 1" PVC pipe through the inboard stringers to the center bilge and fit it with a screw on cap. But if you've got oil or fuel in the bilge and getting pumped overboard, regardless of where it's coming from or what vintage the boat, the CG will be up your butt like a tick when they a fuel sheen or oil streak following the boat...
randall

Post by randall »

ask mike about it.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Good points Randall and Capt Pat thanks. Whishin that would be diesel fuel in bilge, just don't have the green.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I dont think ALL the boats that have ever been made could leak enough fuel or engine oil to compare to BP's catastrophe.

Thats just my 2 cents....LOL!

I do not condone any of us making a mess, just be careful and do your best to have properly maintained equipment and if you ever see any of your lines cracking replace them immediately.

I like to keep an oil soak diaper pad under the engines, you can see any leaks early and helps to keep somewhat cleaner area under the engine. Dont know if thats good or bad but its what I do.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET