Coosa Marlin!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

Coosa Marlin!

Post by Rocky »

So here's some pics of recent after work bulkhead fab. 3/4" Coosa Laminated 2 1708 layers each side, painted with 545/ Imron, tabbed in two layers 1708 making sure of no hard spots. Capt Pat I've got a question about the floor design again. I would really like if I'm going to do that U-shaped seat arrangement you have designed, for the table to become a support for cushions into a bunk there. Do you think that would be feasible for a table on a removable post to come down for cushion support? Or would that render the table too small?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rocky, Now THATS a bulkhead....great job...light strong and last forever...I have left coosa sitting in a bucket of water for 5 months never soaked up a drop...Now tab that bad boy with two layers of 1708 and a layer of roven and you will be set..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Lookin MINT!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks guys, now to tackle the rear bulkhead.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I love those SFs.
This one is going to be sweet.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

That is sweet work.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
randall

Post by randall »

yup....that is some NICE work!!
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I opened up the vee bunk area like the hancock boat with the floor level with the cabin sole, fabbed the u shape dinnett the same way{all coosa} and made a table top that will drop down to fill in that rest on wooden rails, my objective was 2 create a large berth, so I extended the settee all the way out board with a large storage hatch running fore and aft down the middle of the settee , i also created another berth by making the seat back flip up, attached by 4 hinges and held up with 3 straps/snaps. I now have 3 separated nice size sleeping accomadations, the pulman type seat back is certainly not a new concept, I attached a cargo net 2 the back of the flip up seat back 2 store bedding, 3 of us fish the bahamas often and this will give us some space and storage, may not fit your needs
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks guys for compliments, amazing how much more time this stuff takes than anticipated.
Marlin, would you happen to have a picture or two of your design, it sounds similar to the Capt's but with a slight variation, by description it sounds great. Just trying to get some experienced input on this small space we have in here, ergonomics/function, thanks.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Rocky- Nicely done.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Rocky , I'm computrer challanged withpics on this site, capt pat has spent hours tutoring me, still challanged, send me an email and I can probably respond, my boat is quite retro, I wanted the tough old salty hull/ fisherman profile with todays creature and speed, this one is near completion, looking at another 2 restore, may get divorsed,, marlin@usendoscopy.com
coolair

Post by coolair »

ok so wht if you were using 3/4 ply still the heavy lay up?

ok never mind i got my answer.
BUT Rocky since you are doing the aft bulk head next, You going to do the same layup? I found a older post that says that 2 layers of mat are ok. BUT i seem to think thay with all the flexing of the hull it may need to be more????
Rocky, just wondering where you got your coosa. I called composites one today here and houston and they told me they dont stock it. they stock pensky board.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Matt, I was told by Coosa you don't even need to laminate at all, but I'm listening to the Capt. and the composite theory /how it works so 1708 both sides minimum was recommended. I personally do not think the rear bulkhead is going anywere with only one layer each side and 2 layers 1708 tabbed in, but I will do 2 layers as it did not cost much more to do so and makes a stronger- yet composite. The Coosa I bought from Composites One, it is under core materials in the index. Drove to Sacramento location to get it, shipped from east coast location. If you need only 4x4 sheets of it McMaster Carr has it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I called composites one today here and houston and they told me they dont stock it. they stock pensky board.
Penski Board and Coosa are the same stuff... Like Pionite and Formica are both hard laminates.