Russ Pagels

getting closer

Post by Russ Pagels »

1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you were doing an extensive makeover. Can't wait to see the finished product at next years NC Rendezvous.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Russ- Something wrong with the 25 site? Been unable to connect all day. Walter
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Tommy, yep a lot of work being done, in the cabin also.more pictures when i get them...

Walter, do you want me or one of the other Russ's. I'm only on this board....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Wrong Russ-sorry!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking good...
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Russ,

Saw Scott on Saturday, he stopped by the yard with a Silverhawk 27 they were delivering.

Took him through CHIMERA and we talked a little about your boat. Sounds like he's got it under control and things are moving smoothly. Should be special when its done.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hey JP, glad to see Scott is still building new boats. Are you getting any work done on your boat this winter? ...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Are you getting any work done on your boat this winter?
Gonna be a big winter for us.

Broke a rudder so we'll be updating to the newer style and then the fun really begins. (Thanks to everyone that offered up the spare parts- that was great guys)

Full bottom job- somewhere before we got the boat it was sanded then epoxied and coated with 2000. The problem was whoever did the prep never got all the bottom paint off so the bottom has been peeling and flaking in patches every year. Only way to get rid of it is to sand through it all and back to gel coat. Sand blasting won't remove the Interprotect without damaging the gelcoat and glass under it so its sand sand sand and sand some more.

We will also be moving the water line for the bottom paint back to the classic factory style with a yacht stripe on the bottom paint with the boot stripe following the first chine.

Then its into the shed for a full sanding and refinish with Awl Grip. Figure by the time we almost finished it'll be time to get back in the water and start fishing.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

jp ,your likeing the look on our new ride,now that we have closed the sale will you post pic for the faithful to see our new ride. i will send u the link
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Neil,

Wasn't your ride that made us commit, when the marina owner says its the way they came original from the local dealer, I had to take pause and rethink our commitment to the old girl, haven't seen a blue one yet with a yacht stripe bottom line and old school boot so we're gonna make this one stand out a little more. Heck its only 80 hours of sanding and finishing, given the time we have in her already this is just a drop in the bucket. Ordered the Awl Grip today.

If it comes out nice maybe Russ will do it on his Fighting Lady girlfriend down in South Jersey.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

JP, sounds like you have a full winter of work ahead of you. I'm sure that she will be looking real good when your finshed.I know what a boot stripe is, but what is a yacht stripe?....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Here is what I was taught over the years.

Yacht stripe follows the physical water line of the hull.

Boot stripe is generally the accent color above the bottom paint and can fall anywhere above the water line.

Most people choose to start at the boot and paint with bottom paint from that point down. The earliest 31's delivered in our area (like yours) were yacht striped with a taped boot that followed the first chine, either black or red tape was used. At some point people just got lazy and started bringing the paint line up to within an inch or so of the boot, I mean honestly what idiot would want to tape off all those chines (oh yeah that'd be me). Anyway that's what I have been taught maybe the nomenclature is wrong, but the folks around here all understand it.

There are allot of stories surrounding the boat you own. You should have a look at a book called The History of the Manasquan River Marlin and Tuna Club. The old owner and I think some shots of your boat are in it. Lots of B31's in that club over the years. Have a look at:

http://www.mrmtc.net
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"