Vovlo D4-260s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Vovlo D4-260s

Post by John F. »

I may have a chance to pick up a set of 2008 (I think) Volvo D4-260s with under 200 hours for cheap. They're installed (I'd take the whole boat), so I'd get the gears, wheels, everything, and it all looks like it'd work in my boat (I'm guessing shafts will be different). I've done a search here, and have pm'd Bruce. I looked at his install again--nice work--and read Bruce's comments on the install.

I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with these motors, or knew anything about them that I should know. They're modern electronic high rpm diesels. Thoughts?

Thanks.

My gassers are fine for what I do, and I don't want to get into something that even if cheap could be a bad thing in the long run. If they were 6btas, I'd have bought them on the spot--well, after an engine survey.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Would should talk to Bruce. I would think service and parts near you would be super important.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

A while back I was looking into a Volvo D-3 for my B-20. I did not purchase it for reasons of $ I could couldn't bring myself to spend. That being said, I was very impressed. If I had the bucks I would have done it in a heartbeat. Seemed to have been well thought out. If a D-4 is a higher HP version of the D-3, I am sure it would fit into a B-31 with room to spare. I'm sure Bruce can fill you in with the +/_ of the engines.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I bought my boat back in Jan. The boat a B31 FBC came with the D4-300 already installed.(80 hrs) They now have about 380 hrs on them, and they are great! I am extremely happy with them and would recommend them to anyone.
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"