FIBERGLASS DECK

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

FIBERGLASS DECK

Post by Craig Mac »

I know this has already been discussed---my buddy wants to order a new deck and wants to know the differences between a glass tech and richard bertram. Is there any one else making one?

Years ago I know they were using different core material, but that could have changed.

Also, which company is better to deal with.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Since Allied Richard Bertram scaled back, I'm pretty sure that they are no longer a source. The deck made by Fibertech which is cored with Divinycell is available through Danny Piedra at High Tide Marine.

The deck from Glasstech is still cored with balsacore and remains a POS...
Bob Patton
Standing Member

Post by Bob Patton »

This is my first time on the Forum but I read it all the time. It is the most informative thing I read. Real answers from mechanically sharp people with real world experience. I'm on the west coast and have seen Alex Whitaker's glass decks, engine boxes, etc. They look like quality products to me. What do you think? He's at 31bertram.com, and will talk your ear off on his favorite subject, which just happens to be everybody's favorite subject on this forum. The other thing I like about this forum is that differing opinions are all in the same place and you can make your own call on a subject after reading what everyone has to say. You also form an opinion as to who knows what, after reading many entries by the same person. Everyone is so willing to help with a problem it is a great group of people and I really enjoy reading it everyday. :-D
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I got one of Alex Whit....... decks two or so years ago. heavy, a bit of a challenge to fit but with a good glass guy(not me a honduran from Garington) I couldn't be happier. Got the deck with drop in fishboxes, required moving the exhaust outboard- if you have a good guy you can build it yourself but I am happy.
Bill
Diego

Post by Diego »

i got the deck with drop in fishboxes, required moving the exhaust outboard-
How difficult is this job. I have been wanting to install the fishboxes for a while now. Do you know if there is any way to install the fishboxes with the orginal Bertram deck? Thanks
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

The multiple hatches would make that a bit frustrating. Alexes or your own from coosaboard would be better. $$$. it all depends on your desire/ability/cost analysis. i am happy with Alex's for the price as I say I am happy. Redoing a 31 or a space shuttle for that matter is not a cost effective project,a labor of love can't be done on a spreadsheet. I am happy :-D
Bill
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Feeling the boat surge through the sea with the occasional cannon shot of green water in the face is as they say-Priceless
Bill
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I bought the engine boxes, L brackets and the insert that fits down between the boxes last spring from Alex , a bit pricey, but cosmetically pretty, when they arrived I tried to fit the package and found the boxes 2 be square but the l brackets out of square which required some surgical intervention, if u are handy with redoing fiberglass ,it's probably not an issue, I was dissapointed, I think he pulled the stuff 2 soon out of the molds which allowed it to warp, the insert that fills in between the engine boxes was 2 long and 2 wide, nothing a sawzall can't fix, how handy are u, never did get the hatch he also promised 2 ship , only an oversite he explained, his stuff fits his restorations
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That's not a good report...
jrhaszard

Decks

Post by jrhaszard »

Diego,aren't there some good f/g guys in Panama who can make the boxes for you? Are you in the Amador marina or downtown at the Yacht Club ?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I spoke to Alex a while back when I started my repower. I was thinking of upgrading my fiberglass deck which I had made 15 years ago. At the time you had to buy the whole kit, deck, side panels, & box;'s. Not sure that has changed but i believe he was talking 15,000 3 years ago.

I passed, but I had heard his stuff was pretty good.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Well, if you have seen the work the Marlin "himself" has done on his boat, you automatically have some respect for his comments on the work of others.....'nuff said !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Craig,

that new deck is in the boat at the shop, Rich should have no problem installing himself, some cutting is involved of the teak along the stern, and he might have to firm up some areas below.

Marlin- I suspect had you not purchased the engine boxes you would have found that step insert to also be too tall, we had to cut one in 6 pieces to get it to fit. Not sure what boat it was made for but obviously a 31 with stock location bulkheads and gas motors was not it.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

When I got my deck from Alex, it was what he called the charter boat deck. i used the original motor boxes but had to fab up the center section-floor side panels and the steps,the steps lift up for access to thruhulls,batt sws. and some pump sws.I think his price was about 5500. one thing I liked was the deck (3 piece)was long enough to not need the teak/ply filler at the transom.
Bill