Flybridge deck gelcoat non skid re-do

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Flybridge deck gelcoat non skid re-do

Post by Preston Burrows »

Gents:

Can you tell me how I would go about resurfacing the flybridge deck of my B28 with non skid gelcoat ?

I'd like to roll on the gelcoat with the non skid particles mixed in and need guidance as to the surface prep of the flybridge deck,how to mix the gelcoat,how to roll the gelcoat on,what brand non skid particles are best etc.

I'm not looking for the Gibco type flexible mold grid patterned non skid finish and only need non skid particles mixed in with the gelcoat to get the finish I'd like, the deck's surface has worn too smooth and is too slippery now.

I've thought about using Kiwi Grip or Durabak non skid out of the can but prefer the old school.

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Preston

Usually when non skid grit is used, it is used with paint. Spread around while the paint is wet.

Capt. Pat would be the best one to tell you how to do it but using gel coat, they usually mix in cabosil and roll it on so it leave peaks in the gel. NOt sure it this is what you are looking for.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Preston,

Two years ago, I refinished the non-skid on my forward deck and the bow area. I used Griptex and gelcoat. I mixed it according to the instructions as a test and ended up adding a little more for the final mix. I used a roller with a short knap and it turned out perfect and after two years of blazing Florida sun, it is still perfect.

I started out by removing everything in the way and sanding the area with 30 grit, then wiping it down with alcohol after a thorough water and soap washing. I masked off the border and original lines.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Preston Burrows

Thanks, I'll check whether I can get the Awlgrip Griptex here and see what the instructions are on the cans of gel coat that are available locally as well as what brands..........it's the gel coat mixing/correct application that has me thinking mostly.

I did find an old thread and see that the recommended way of applying non skid is via a paint medium as opposed to via gel coat...... so as to obtain a longer lasting non skid surface........I'll see how much a quart of oyster white Awlgrip paint costs in comparison.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

The Awlgrip topcoat will be considerably more costly than the gelcoat, BUT, application will be easier & the bond will be far better. With the gelcoat, you run a big risk of it cracking and flaking off due to the lack of a cross linking bond necessary for polyester resins.

Awlgrip would be my choice.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I second Awlgrip with nonskid added. My whole cockpit is done this way.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Preston Burrows

Thanks gents, I'll see what is available off the shelf locally this weekend.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

had my pilot house deck on my other boat sprayed with a regular gun, with a pressure pot, same tip that he sprayed the gloss coat , just mixed the non skid with the awl craft and shot it at 100 psi, dont use any abrasive cleaners, we also rolled a deck on my buddys boat, disaster, hard to control the volume of abrasive, keep stirring ,blochy finish