Boat windshield 2

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Miller

Boat windshield 2

Post by JP Miller »

1962 Sedan restoration down in Clearwater, FL. Finally got the project moving. The boats been painted. Just a few days ago stripped the windshield/side windows down to little pieces. A few parts are at the welders having holes patched (wiper motor, antenna standoff, etc) I've talked with American Marine about glass and trying to find the slides and weatherstip. My painter is sanding, acid etching, priming and awlgripping finished pieces.
Any suprises that I can expect here? I split the corners from the front frame with minimal aluminum deformation. I believe that I should reassemble before final paint to hide the seam. Primer/paint buildup may stop me from assembing after.
Should I tape off the tracks? Paint may stop me from getting weatherstrip back in.
I'm nervous about this phase... so much can go wrong. Parts are iffy.
I do have a front windshield out of a 1978 hull but don't know how well it will fit the 62, or 62's side windows. It is beefier but not in any better condition.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

JP: You might try using the round foam backing rods that they sell at hardware stores to fill cracks before caulking. They come in rolls and in different diameters and you can just press them down in the grove to protect the weaterstrip from paint. The right diameter would protect the weatherstripping yet let the final coat of paint wrap over the edge of the window frame.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31