Let's cook a pork loin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Let's cook a pork loin

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

The Bride gave me a wireless bbq therometer for our 40th anniversary, what a gal. The thing makes cooking big chucks of meat on the grill a snap vs. a crap shoot.

We have used the wireless to do a fresh pork ham (big sucker) and a beef rump roast, both with great results. Tonight we did a rolled pork loin. I stuffed the middle with a lot, yep a lot, of fresh sliced garlic, put some olive oil in there, then some salt and Tony Chacherie's and bound it up with wet cotton twine. On the outside I rubbed it with sea salt, Tony's, and some crushed garlic that is like a puree'. Let it sit for a while, then put it on the bbq pit with a few wet hickory chips. Pork needs to get to 170 to be done, and this little 2+ lb. loin took about an hour and 15 minutes to get there at a pit temp of about 325. My s.s. pit has a built in therometer that is wahcko, so I use the laster temp infrared gun, just raise the lid, shoot the back of the lid, and you need to see about 300-350.

Faithful, that garlic stuffed loin was so good it would make you slap your Mama........ I basted it with a little butter, oilive oil, and crushed garlic twice, first when it got to 140, then again when it got to 155.....

Don't forget to cut the twine off.... Bon appitte'..... Next time we are gonna stuff it with some oysters and corn bread dressing with tasso.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

UV,

I can't wait for the crawfish to get in season, I'll buy'em if you'll cook-um. I've been wanting to drive over and get a look at AJ.

Scot
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Wow! Kinda makes me want to jump in the pickup and drive to UV's place.. sleep in the truck but eat supper with him and the missus!

UV.. any chance you can post the corn bread and oyster stuffing recipe?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory of Vicroy

There is a dirty little secret around Baton Rouge I'm gonna clue you guys in on. www.belluescajuncuisine.com

Place was started by a cop years ago up by the Exxon refinery where you needed large cal. weapons just to drive to it. They just opened an outlet by our house and all their stuff is better than homemade. We use their cornbread dressing, lima beans & tasso, the cajun hot tamales are super, the chicken glasse' is over the top as are all their sausage items. They ship.

Using their cornbread dressing, just thaw it out, then take your oysters and just curl them in some olive oil and white wine and mix them in the dressing......

UV
Matt Holcomb

Saturday Night

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Hey UV, that pork loin sure sounds good. I cooked a little myself this weekend.I donated a dinner to a fundraiser for our local hospital...did it
saturday night......30 people.....worked out ok..... Here is the menu.

Matt

Saturday Evening
December 2, 2006

Gruyere Gougeres
Parmesan Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse
Franck Bonville Brut Selection Blanc de Blancs Champagne

Crab Cakes with Buerre Citron
Spring Mountain Napa Sauvignon Blanc 2004

Wild Mushroom Soup
Chateau Montelena Chardonnay 2004

Carnaroli Risotto with Shaved Black Truffles
Ramey "Hyde Vineyard" Carneros Chardonnay 2004

Sea Bass with Oxtail Reduction
Belle Glos "Clark & Telephone" Santa Maria Pinot Noir 2004

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with Cabernet Reduction
Carlisle Dry Creek Syrah 2004

Filet Mignon "Stir Fry" with Bordelaise Sauce
Lewis Cellars Napa Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

Cheese Varietal
Taylor Fladgate Port 1992
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

God forbid you ever retire from the legal field, cause the bank crooks would have a field day. However, if you ever do, I see a future for you running a bed and breakfast -- cajun style! Thanks for the heads up -- now the trick is to get the stuff shipped to me, and make the bride think I am making it myself!

Tom
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

UV, if the bbq meter gives out, please let me know. I have and use a heat gun. Bought it for the boat, to check the risers and manifold. And the unit has many more applications: the Thanksgiving Turkey, one sister-in-law, the neigbors(they look dead), and don't forget the dog, Frances.

I cooked up some blue fish last Friday that was caught a couple weeks ago. My wife won't eat it except for the day it was caught. Too bad for her. On second thought, maybe she knows something I don't.

But I'm not publishing the recipie here because of the unfavorable replies of the Faithfull. I think it was the mayonaise.
In Memory of Vicroy

Hey Surgeon General - I like the 8 courses of wine.....

UV
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Hey UV....

I have found if you give enough to drink, and make em wait long enough, they'll think anything is good. I still want to try your oyster saute, with you doing the sauteing......makes me smile just to think of it.

Matt
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Damm Matt, I thought you were fairly well rounded (didn't even get that one till I reread this) what with being a doc(I still need that note) a rod builder, a lure maker(still waiting on the tubb trolling lure, and I'm starting to see a pattern) a true patriot being someone who was willing to let democracy have a chance(panama is a democracy, and we did vote) as well as a shoe in for the blue collar comedy tour(when you can use duct tape, a 10lbs tuna in a joke, and the punch line is "whys it so dark in here" you know your ready for prime time) Then I find your a real gormet cook, all I can say is shuck my grits, you be da man.
thudddddd
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Thudddd.....I sent you a Rx. for the drug you wanted, and as for the trolling lure, I am having difficulty designing one that will troll so SLOW as the tubb.......as for the rest, you're right.

Yo fren.

Matt
Hal

Post by Hal »

Damn, Matt! That makes me want to make the drive to Texas for a snack or two. And all that French! Very haute.

Which Port were you drinking behind the scenes anyway?
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

You know I would never drink while cooking.....OK I had a bottle of Rombaur chardonnay, then a bottle of Lewis cab.......yum. That 92 Taylor Fladgate was tasty with some funky cheese, at least that is what they told me. :twisted: :twisted:

Matt
Rob C

Post by Rob C »

Doc,
That Sea Bass w/ Oxtails sounds great! Let me know if you ever want to make less $$ for longer hours, The Raven sure could use sombody w/ your SKILLLLS. UV, I have been looking for a good place to get some Boudin, do you know if Best sells it raw, and if they will ship it? I might just have to make a road trip to ol exit #92 if they don't ship. Oyster season here we come, hope to eat some in Venice on the deck again this year!
Rob C
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Got that one Matt, need another as they be all gone.
Tubb getting a Hp update, think high speed, maybe 16knt's
Matt Holcomb

Rx.

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Timmy, your next Rx. will be forthcoming after the PROCTOSCOPIC examination....Randallllll and I voted that you need one, (its a democracy ya know)........The question for you is how much duct tape will be involved in this exam.

Yo fren,

Matt
Surgeon General of the UVI
Captain of Team Quack
In Memory of Vicroy

Rob - Bellues has the best boudin, bar none and they will ship it to you.

UV
Tom

Post by Tom »

Timmy, if you'd lose some weight that erectile dysfunction thing would disappear and you could lay off the meds entirely. Unless your talking about the methadone and if that's the case, its definitely the lesser of two evils vs the heroine.
Viva la Presidente!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Tom I'd say you must be speaking from experance, but you must have been really fat for that to have been the case...............
Thudddddd
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Tom,
Kathy only lets Timmy play with it on the weekends, so it may be a while before he gets around to finding out for sure.

- Chiles
neil

Post by neil »

timmy jr,uncle mark and i went fishing today we wish you where there we caught 100 /24 of legal size a reel fun day in jersey
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

supposed to be come down on the 23rd early, early and leave xmas day, early early. Supposed to meet one of guys, whom I'm sure could be convinced to either join us for a few hours on the boat, or at tequillers, so the short version is I've got a couple of hours if you and the crew are up for it. Let Jr know it looks as if he'll have something a little quicker to run for me, than what I thought is was going to be.............. Capt Jr rules. BTW I don't know if I ever sobered up enough to thank you for the boat ride, tour and libations when last I visited. The boy handles a vessel well, you should be proud. Thanks again
Thuddddddddd
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thudddd, I'm about as healthy as a 220 lb 5'11" guy can be. I know how Dolly feels about seeing her feet. My Kathy still loves me though. Merry Christmas to you, Happy Hanukah, and Happy Festivus for the rest of us.-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Back at ya ,Buddy
Thuddddd