hunting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

hunting

Post by bob lico »

the weather is starting to change into a nice 65 to 70 degree phase . the best weather of the year which brings the hunting fever to mind . how many of our bertram brothers do any type of hunting .i leave in two weeks to go archery hunting in northern maine .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Nice! Indeed it is time to break out the shotgun and start to at least try to hit those little orange discs as they aim to avoid any level of success! Addieville here I come, and the local club first!

Last year I had the trip of a lifetime! Headed out to South Dakota for my first jaunt of pheasant hunting, and i have forever been corrupted. I think we shot our limit everyday, and with 10 or so guys, it was something in the range of 100 birds a day. Amazing... And a great group to hunt with too.

This year, though I was invited, I had to choose the long weekend in Puerto Rico for a wedding which was scheduled on the same date as the hunting trip.

It was pretty incredible! Beautiful country we have... Good luck in Maine! Stop in if you are driving through Worcester!

Dug
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

bob
dont hunt anymore, just fish the bass fall run up to dec
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

years ago they use to have hunting shows with famous people . i recall the pheasant hunt in south dakota as the best in the us . just to watch those dogs work is a sight in itself.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, it was amazing in so many ways. I am happy to recommend the lodge anytime, though the name will never fail to cause a chuckle. Lets just say you need to make sure you enter it into your google search very carefully...

The dogs, the guides, the land, the pheasant population, the guys I was fortunate enough to hunt with. It was an experience I will never forget, and will repeat if I can!

Dug
billyo

Post by billyo »

Good luck.Maine had a few tough winters that took there toll on the herd.I set up a cam every winter 25' from my front door here in suburbia,i have thousands of pics and some with 5 big bucks all together getting along just fine.

New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
billyo

Post by billyo »

few more

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Billy,

When posting images, drop down a space after each image. Stacking them one right after another in a horizontal continuos line creates a long horizontal scroll that viewers have to deal with.

ie: (edited from your previous post...)

Thanks,

Patrick
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am hosting a DU skeet shoot at my farm today at 4:00 pm.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

simply put "outstanding" photo`s. i have a house in atherns maine ,this is extremely rural area outside town . i normally hunt north with bow up around the Allagash wilderness for bear .here is the bow i use now with fiber optic sights sort of helps a old fellow.
this is one of the new broadheads 5/16" graphite with 125 grain tip made of carbide that opens on penetration with razors . still takes a while for a bear to go down definitely can ruin your weekend if he sees you while wounded !!! been there!!!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
billyo

Post by billyo »

bobThats a NICE BOW, Tom who works for me is a deer hunting fanatic .He took this one(158 inch) a mile from my house with black powder.Image

More in my front yard

Toms Maine deer (black powder)Image

That should give you deer hunters wood..

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Leaving on the 17th for Grouse and Woodcock up around Watertown NY.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Shot wood ducks last two mornings. Hope to find some more tomorrow morning.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Haven't dragged the shot guns out in years. Maybe someday again.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I own a house in north central South Dakota. 1000's of acres of public hunting within 5 minutes in any direction. The county has been in the top 5 for pheasent count for years. Cheap digs for anyone interested @ $20 per head per night. Not trying to get rich just trying to pay for the heat and taxes.

No BS when I say you can watch flocks of pheasents go over your head that are impossible to count!

Between the insurance company's lobby for higher deer heard kills and the Wisconsin Dept of Natural Resources having no freeking idea how many deer are in the state, the Wi. deer hunt has become a fruitless adventure to say the least. Gave it up for the SD bird hunt a long time ago.

Bennelli super 90 with the extended magazine tube still leaves you clicking when the end of the flock goes over, no fun at all.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark,

Is it anywhere near Gregory?
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mark,

Would love to drag Thudd out there. Just don't tall him about the $20. I'll tell him it's $40.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Dug
The town is Eureka. It is straight north of Gregory and about as close to the North Dakota border as Gregory is to the Nebraska border. It's only 15 minutes from No Dak.

Mike
You charge Thudd whatever you like! I have the utmost respect for a business man that can shave a nickle out of a squeeeeky tight Hatteras owner.

Tell him we have a bar and game room in the basement, should seal the deal!

By the way 7 bedroom, sleeps 8 very comfortably but has beds for 10. Bird cleaning facility in the garage, jen air, washer, dryer, fenced in dog yard, big screen TV, freezers up the wazoo for the birds. Its the taj in nowhere ville SD.

Also the town has 3 bars and a gas station!!!!! I mean what more could you want? And they are in stumbling distance..............

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bennelli super 90 with the extended magazine tube still leaves you clicking when the end of the flock goes over, no fun at all.
No problem, time to polish up the Punt gun...................
coolair

Post by coolair »

Mark
whats it like getting al liscence there? I know in montana its a real night mare for out of staters even if you own land. for deer and elk anyway
besides the though of ever having to hike up a mountain, shoot a animal almost as big as a horse and the carrie it out in pieces as never really apealed to my fat ass, thats why i looove bird hunting!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What the hell is a license?
We still hunting on the Kings land or what.......

Nothing like shooting a big bull, quartering and dragging it back to the 4 wheeler or truck. You get hungry along the way, you got something to naw on.

Thats why men are men and the bird shooters .........well lets just say what color purse goes with them shoes :)
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Coolair,
It's a piece of cake. You can buy them on line or stop at any gas station once you get into SD and they run $105 for out of state.

Roger the fat ass part and the acclimating to the thin air for a guy used to 730' above sea level. My brother in law lives in Colorado, hunts Elk every year the hard way. Packs his own mules, bow only, is one of those 2% body fat guys. What an ass! LOL!~

Buju

Post by Buju »

Aint quite season yet, but I've got my blind built and my munitions ready...

Won't be too long before the gigantic flocks of snowbirds clog up every damn
migration path and get their shit all over SFL.

If it's snowbird season, why cant ya shoot 'em?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I'll be chasing woodcock and grouse in ME later this week. Once I get the Bert put up I'll start thinking about ducks (the season typically runs through January here).
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Buju wrote:Aint quite season yet, but I've got my blind built and my munitions ready...

Won't be too long before the gigantic flocks of snowbirds clog up every damn
migration path and get their shit all over SFL.

If it's snowbird season, why cant ya shoot 'em?
LOL! that is funny!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
capy

Post by capy »

mike ohlstein wrote:Mark,

Would love to drag Thudd out there. Just don't tall him about the $20. I'll tell him it's $40.......
I would midn't that trip.......I'll even challenge Timmy to a drinking contest!!!

That toxic waste dump I got for a liver can still go a few rounds.
1961 Sportfish Hull# 5-35
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Interesting, Mark, went to Pierre, SD last yr and had a great hunt and am going there in two weeks to do it again....I know there's alot of public land. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Andre,
I go during the Wisconsin deer gun season which is always Thanksgiving week. I take as many ex-deer gun hunters as will go and it seems to be easier to get them to come along every year as the WDNR continues to say our deer heard is strong and more and more people every year come home empty.

I have also hunted into December and the beauty of that, beside the fact there are still birds a plenty is, just about every farmer will allow you on their property late in the season. Some additional prime land falls into your lap at that time of year. A classic SD farmer line, "Well you see you go to the end of that oil road (anything paved is an oil road) and then I own the next 20 sections on the west and few on the right. Have at her!"

South Dakota Pheasant always opens the third weekend in October and I have the place booked with the same folks just about every year in the early part but we always get some ebb and flow from about mid November until the season ends in early January. Currently the last 5 days of November are open and December until the 12th is available.

I would love at some point in the future to head out and pick up some Bertram faithful at the Minneapolis airport on the way. Spend the better part of a week killing stuff with them and then drop them off on my way back to Wisconsin.

With the bird license you also get small game which includes coyotes and fox which is always a gas with a spotting scope and hi power. "Your behind, your a little ahead, your a little high, bingo! Splash one coyote!"

Food for future thought!

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

We just got my 10 Point crossbow sighted in...hopefully I'll get in invite to go out and pop something this winter.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hummm, john with a cross bow, i think i would be so low to the ground they would have to pump oxgen to me. lol
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Mark,
When my youngest (5) get older I plan to take him and his big brother (8) to Dakotas for pheasent hunting. Private land in NC sucks. So I just duck hunt because of a few spots where I can hunt. My oldest told me he is going to kill a duck this winter w/410. I hope he does.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
coolair

Post by coolair »

bruce call me what u want but i enjoy drinking cold beer while i hunt :)
Mark
defentanly an ass, i hope his mule wont move this year haha

John a crossbow?? seriously? let me know when you go so i can make sure i am home :)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Dug

Post by Dug »

Not just at home, but in the basement, where there are only cement walls! That is a good one! John, I believe you would shoot, and I believe you would hit your target. You impress me to the core. That being said, I am not sure I would do much other than stand behind you. Pretty close at that...

D
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Capt. Frank,
He will, probably a bunch of them! Make him wait till there on top of you!

Much luck,
-M