Side mount single lever control handles for Pod

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DavidDW

Side mount single lever control handles for Pod

Post by DavidDW »

Hi Guys,

I am looking to install a Console pod/bubble on as part of my gameboat rebuild project similar to what Capt Patrick has done here:

http://www.bertram31.com/parts/console/zc.htm

I'll be doing mine in GRP.

I am looking to use single lever side mount controls like in the first picture.

Does anybody know what control handles have been used in the picture and where I can get them from complete with controls? They only need to be mechanical, not electronic.

Thanks for your help.
billyo

Post by billyo »

Nice work !!!
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

DavidDW,
I'm pretty sure they are Solo single lever, maybe Capt Pat will chime in on the exact model. I know he has a preference on which model works the best, Solo II?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Gerry's controls were electronic for the 6LP Yanmars and came with the single lever dual action, (SLDA), controls.

The last two sets of side control handles I've used were made by Release Marine in Georgia. Their SS control handles are the best engineered available. There is a stainless keyed collar that is installed first and clamps very firmly to the control shaft. The control handle then slips over the collar and secured with set screws. Once installed they absolutely will not slip on the shaft.

SLDA controls are available from R.G. Rolin in Washington, but buy the handles from Release Marine...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I don't know if the controls have changed, but many people have had trouble with the SOLO controls and getting them setup correctly and with the proper cable tension to prevent controls from returning to idle.

With a little work, Morse single lever controls can be mounted behind a console type bubble. I've done it before and used a shaft extension for the proper length depending on side thickness. Those extensions can be done to take any type of handle you want.
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Thanks guys.

Capt Patrick -

I have a new set of Release Marine control handles but have been having trouble working out what to actually mount them onto (I guess this would be the stainless keyed collar you referred to). I have been trying to talk to release marine about this but I think they are a little confused about what I am talking about.

Do release marine sell the stainless keyed collar as well or is this something I will need to have fabricated?

Will the SLDA controls work with my non electronic (Perkins 6.453T 240hp) engines?

The time difference in Australia makes it difficult for me to hash out some of these issues.

If I can't find a solution I was thinking of going with these
http://www.rgrsolo.com/control-head.html which would be a shame seeing as I already have the release marine handles.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Bruce,

My mechanics son is the ceo of Morse/Teleflex in Au. I have tried to have him sort out a solution for me but he doesn't seem to know how to make it work.

I'm the first to admit I am not really that good when it comes to the engineering side of all this so I might not be asking the right questions.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

YOu may have an older set of the Release handles. The newer design has a keyed socket in the base of the handle that the shaft collar slips into. The collar is first mounted to the shaft and tightened down. It only comes in a 5/8" shaft size bore. The modified Telflex controls that I highly modified to fit into Hancock's helm bubble had 3/4" shafts, so I machined the collar bore up to 3/4".

I thought I might have some images of the setup, but guess I didn't photo that part of the project. Not like me to not photo just about everything...

Here's a quick drawing from memory on the collar and levers:

The owner's name of Rollin is Harry. Ask him to price the controls without the handles...
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Garry, I have for sale in the sale sections the whole set-up for the helm pod including those release marine levers all new, if your interested. Also, a custom bezel etc.. I can email you pics if you want.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Thanks Patrick.

The control handles in your picture look exactly like the ones I have.

Was there much work in changing the Telflex controls on Hancock to fit the release marine handles? Do you know what controls (model number) they were? If I can make the morse controls work, it might be easier to do that rather than import another make given morse seem to be the standard in Au. The options I guess I have are:

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=prod ... 5d33f54fea

or

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=prod ... 5d33f54fea

Then I could turn down the output shaft to take the handles and adjust with an extension if needed (hopefully not needed).

I guess I am in a good position as the bubble has not been built as yet so I can get all the bits and pieces then build the bubble to suit.

Thanks for the offer on the setup Thums Up. I am looking to use a digital Vgauge system for gauges rather than VDO type gauges.

Thanks for your advice guys. It is very exciting finding solutions to problems all in a couple of days.

David.
Last edited by DavidDW on Oct 11th, '10, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

Morse MT3 are used all the time for that set up on the Carolina Boat here in the U.S..

You can get a pair and separate them and make a bracket out of aluminum angle to hold them in the console.

Just need to have an extended arm welded up for the thickness of the wood in the pod. The shafts for the Morse are too short. The shafts need to be 5/8 for the Release levers if I remember correct.

That what I was going to do for my pod but then I found a nice pair of Kolbelts which I like more.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Thanks for the feedback Thums Up. I appreciate the tip on the morse controls. Hopefully it is fairly straight forward!

David.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

or follow my post with sim and rocky engineering, and get the well machine high quality ss gearbox top notch handles and the long shaft included (enough for 1" thick teak) ---------solo controls
capt.bob lico
bero13010473