Shipping Prep Question(s) B31, Michigan to FL

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Shipping Prep Question(s) B31, Michigan to FL

Post by SteveM »

I have joined the fray, and will be the new owner of a '73 Sportfish. I will be shipping the boat from Michigan to FL in a few weeks.

For those of you that have shipped boats I would greatly appreciate any helpful tips on preparing the boat.

Some prep sites recommend taking the windshield off flybridge boats. Take off the windshield?

Most sites warn about the cons of shrinkwrap tearing and flapping on the boat at 75mph. But they seem to imply this happens more on larger craft.
Shrinkwrap or no Shrinkwrap?

The boat is darn near mint. Everyone likes pics, so here's one.

Anyone want to buy my 1983 Bertram Sport Convertible with open transom? Very sweet rare boat. Send me a message if interested. You can see her at http://www.bertram26.com In the gallery it's Sapphire Queen.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yes, take the flybridge windshield off. It'll add more clearance, but more importantly, it'll save it from potential damage. No direct aftermarket replacement is available...

Shrink wrapping is both expensive and not meant for highway speeds. An alternative to road grime would be Collision Wrap. Wash and dry the boat well, apply the collision wrap where deamed necessary. Particularly hull sides, bow, cabin windshield, brow and bridge face.

I've used the collision wrap and it's relatively easy to apply and remove. Cost effective. Two 100' rolls would be about half the price of a shrink wrap job and would stay in place at highway speeds.

Most transporters will put chaffing material under their straps, but not all will block to leep the straps from contacting toe rails and chines. Make your own provisions and make sure the transporter understands your concern for those points.

Good luck on your move!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

got your message.

send anything to me: shortbus@southeastmarine.com

I look forward to seeing the boat. It looks as nice as Tommy's old Island Girl. One of my favorite original 31's.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bruce,

Steve and I've been talking, and I got a good look at his new ride. You will be very impressed.....looks like it's been hidden in a museum for the past 30 years.

Tommy
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

where u going to keep her
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

who is shipping her, I use a dude named Albert 4 several years, just shipped the 30 intrepid and 28 buddy davis down, 3200 $ each from western New york ,fyi
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I chose C & J shipping. We'll bring her down first week of November. He said he has shipped Buddy Boy and Tommy has used him for Island Girl. I spoke to Jim (the shipper) last night.

He said I don't need to fly up and prep the boat, that this is fairly simple and he could do what is needed. Said he would take off the windshield and make sure everything is secure below. However, I know I will be concerned if I don't fly up. Patrick/Tommy, do I fly up or has Jim done this enough that this is a wasted trip?

I will bring it down here to Palm Beach County, bottom paint, stuffing boxes, etc. detail it and put it in the water. I will have Bruce go over the engines, and mechanical stuff, etc. Not sure what yard yet. I have used Seminole in the past, maybe Cracker Boy, I think they are less expensive.

Then on the first window of a calm Gulf Stream I'll run her over to Hope Town where she will be titled and stay for good. We have a home and a dock there. When we are not there it will be in dry storage.
Steve Marinak
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jim and Cindy are top notch, they even transported my 45' box trailer to Texas for my move in '06. If Jim says it'll be done, it'll be done. He moves boats from Main to Florida and from coast to coast across the country. He and Cindy spend more time on the road than they do at home... Just buy the collision wrap and send it to him.

Tell Jim to call me if he has any question about the windshield or wrap...
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Steve - Not sure where the boat is in Michigan, but if it is fairly close to me, I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help.

Snap some pictures of it loaded on trailer, whatever...

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Ian.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Patrick I will do that with Jim. I appreciate everyone's input. I can tell the group of people on this board will be invaluable.

Ian, she's in Harrison Township, north of Detroit.

Another question for those who have shipped:

Should I remove the rudders and wheels?
Steve Marinak
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Steve - That's less than 1 hour from me. I actually purchased my 25 Bertram for this area when I was living in Maryland.

Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Ian.

ian.upton@gm.com

cell: 810-397-6440
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Should I remove the rudders and wheels?
Nope... Not on Jim's rig. Image That's Island Girl sitting on the trailer...

Follow Jim's check list on his home page.

Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Ditto Patrick's comments: negative on needing to be on-site during mobilization, and negative on removing running gear. My brother was on-site when Jim came to pick up Island Girl for a revisit to Patrick, and he told me that he was only in the way. He said Jim and Cindy were so conscientious and proficient that he just stood back and watched....said they did everything that he had planned to do, and that they did additional things that he hadn't thought of.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I was an Egg Harbor dealer for 15 years in the Toledo Ohio area, shipped and received 100's of boats via commercial transport,I learned most of my lessons the hard way, some memories, love bugs take a lot of scrubbing,bubble wrap the windshield and secure it in the cabin/vee berth area with lines ,duct tape pillows life jackets etc, lash/duct tape the antenna/ ratchet mount so they cant shake loose, same thing if u have any other folding stuff, like anchor lite etc,secure fl/b seat moveable parts, doors/drawers/hatches will shake loose at 60 knots downI 75, duct tape/lashing will help to bring this treasure to u in the same condition it was when she left motown. The duct tape will come off easily if u do it within a couple days after u get her, Murrelle Marine in Lantana is a close yard ,extremely competent, has good fiberglass, carpenters, mechanics, bottom paint/soda blast,people available, I live accross the ICW about a 3 wood away and can assist u if u need any help, they take pride in handling a b31, John runs the joint
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Marlin,
That's a good suggestion. Closer to home too.
Thanks for the shipping tips as well.
Steve Marinak
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I'll be up to say hello !
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Didn't someone say to spray it with a heavy coat of dishwashing detergent and let it dry so that the bugs don't stick as badly? Obviously won't work if rain is scheduled.

Do you need to flush the systems before launch to prevent zebra mussel, etc. transfer??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I think the zebtra mussle thing doesn't apply when going to salt water. I think I read somewhere they would like you to put it in salt water if it is infected with zebra mussels. ...maybe I've got that backwards. Either way it will be in the yard a bit prior to launching.

Would be very happy to have any of you stop by to say hello. I'll keep you posted on where we will have her on blocks.
Steve Marinak
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

the boat arrived today via C&J Transport. Jim and Cindy did a great job. I would recommend them highly.

The boat is now at Murelle Marine in Lantana per the recommendation of Marlin. We just unloaded her this morning. I saw some of you belly aching about the cold weather.... you are right about that! It's chilly enough I had to put on jeans today.

I used the collision wrap on the windows, it worked well, very sticky thick stuff. If anyone needs any I'd be happy to donate it to the web site. I have full roll and more left over. Last minute I had the upper helm shrink wrapped. The previous owner took out all the instruments and electronics to prevent theft and put them below, so to prevent water intrusion I did that...worked ok and stayed on. Windshield, etc stored below.

Here's a pic of her on the travel lift. I hope to have Bruce look at the engines and Patrick if you are still in town by any chance give me a shout on the cell phone.

Steve Marinak
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Steve,

Flew back to Texas last Monday... I wish I was still there, if for no other reason than that I sat next to Typhoid Mary on the return trip. Sicker than a dog since last Wednesday.

Hope you told Jim and Cindy HI for me.
billyo

Post by billyo »

CaptPatrick wrote:Steve,

Flew back to Texas last Monday... I wish I was still there, if for no other reason than that I sat next to Typhoid Mary on the return trip. Sicker than a dog since last Wednesday.

Hope you told Jim and Cindy HI for me.
Wearing those surgical masks of fights may not be as crazy as it looks. Hope ya feel better soon Capt.
New member of the Bertram clan.

1970 31' Classic

Hull # 1092104
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Congradulations on the boat, I'm progressing with knee rehab, I'll be in Lake Worth tomorrow afternoon, dentist at 1 PM at Congress & 10 th Ave. I have to get a hold of Marlin in the AM , I should be around Murrell's between 2:30 and 3:00 if your around. If not I'll make a point of getting with you at the end of the week or Saturday if your available.

Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pete, I will more than likely be on the boat after 5pm and on weekends. Feel free to go check her out any time of day if you are in the area.

Sounds like a good enough reason to finally purchase an air card for my laptop, so I can pretend to be at work!
Steve Marinak
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Glad you finally got her home Steve. I knew you would be happy with the service provided by C&J Transport. I'll be ready for a S. Florida fix in a few weeks, so I'll try to stop by and see you and your new ride.

Tommy
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

Nice , I saw the boat the other day, I now remember why a fresh water boat was easier 2 sell than a salt water boat, the windsields and rubrail look like they just came out of the box, 2 nice a boat 4 this environment, she belongs in a museum so others can appreciate her as well