Surveillance Cameras and equipment

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Surveillance Cameras and equipment

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey guys...a couple of weeks ago we got hit by some thieves.

This incident has propelled me into the mode of installing surveillance equipment. For years we lived in Po Dunk Alabama where for the most part we never locked our doors. Well I have to say that for several years now things have been changing and we no longer live in Mayberry.

I feel for sure that we have right here in our sandbox several EXPERTS on surveillance cameras and equipment and I am asking for you guys to share with me your knowledge and experience.

I want to install both outdoor and indoor surveillance....and I know nothing about selecting the equipment.

Will you help me??

hb
hb
Marlin

survailance

Post by Marlin »

How do u spell AK47, works in the bahamas
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, We installed GE Security cameras and dvr system, we can access it anywhere via web connection. Cameras work both day n night never blink. GEsecurity.com BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob
do you remember a model number?

hb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I also suggest (if it is legal where you are) that you be seen at your boat wearing a sidearm, and also appearing at your boat at unusual hours to check it out. Surprising how the word gets around.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Marlin......here in Bama we spell it AR15.....but that night the operator was dead asleep.

Buttttttt........just for you guys information......there is a website called http://www.scraptheftalert.com and it works

I went online and listed the description of the material stolen, I had plenty of identification along with a police report and guess what.....they were caught. They sold the mateial in a nearby town 50 miles away.

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, I will look tomorrow, we can have up to 12 cameras on the setup we have, motion activated so you dont have to watch endless hours of nothing..one camera in the entrace area of your office may help down the road in legal matters... trust me..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Your insurance company may not like it but a couple of dogs roaming at night work real well.

My brother in law had a body shop in a bad neighborhood. Never had a problem until the bad guys realized the dogs were gone. Took them about a year after the last one died to figure that out. By then he did not give a damn because he was giving up the ship at that point.
coolair

Post by coolair »

i hate!!!!!!!! thives!!!!
we have a cisco camera works over your network same deal access any where, did i mention i hate thives
sorry to hear that harry it is a veryyyyyyyy crapy feeling I cant tell you how much we have losses this year in ladders, tools and scrap metal, not to mention what our customers have lost in coils.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Matt
The police told me that the chances of catching or recovery was slimmer than none.

But

I filed our loss on scraptheftalert.com and that is how they found these guys.

The officer later told me that the only reason they were caught is because of the Scrap Theft Alert report.

I would doubt that your thieves would scrap out a ladder but the copper I am sure went right to the scrap yard.

Wonder if they have a similar website to alert Pawn Shops??? I know a pawn broker...will ask him.

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, GE Digia II Mpeg-4 digital recorder, 12 camera set up.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Harry,
The Pawn Shops have to keep records of who they buy which items from and a print out is given to local cops IF they would check them and connect the dots......most people don't record serial numbers tho. I resemble that remark as I was burglarized, they took pressure washer and many other tools but they also stole a 5 gal jerry can of gas- but it was aviation fuel w/lead- I can only hope they poured it in their vehicle...I got a "game" camera and mounted it where they couldn't remove it, it shoots stills triggered by motion. The Judge's son, Chad, knows about those video cameras tho and told me the model to get but I haven't yet. I'll try and find the info if you want it.
Anyone know where I can get a Claymore?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

andreF the claymore need someone awake to pull i don`t think the other method would help , that is a camo trip wire (not to good for the wife in high heels) you have to think of the ramification of ak`s i was in my old house many years ago when i built and restored corvettes in my 3 car garage . i heard noise two in morning . i went to back door of house and could see flashlight in garage as i reach for the model 1100 remington my hand started to shake because i knew like the ironman we have no feelings pulling the trigger! i grab the bow and waited at back edge of house . the guys comes out with four speed under arm . i put sights between shoulder blades as a hunter both took second through with my family . i put a target arrow right thru his upper thigh. he drop every thing and let out a screme (thats when i said halt) he got up and limp out the back yard i did not gave chase ,never heard hide nor hair of anythingor reports to police . today i would be in front of judge and lose my house toboot. intruder has to be arm in your house with weapon . naturally a intruder would go down in a hail of 40cal bullets just for the hell of it then i would piss on his grave!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have a game camera on my boat. No flash in the dark. Lots of pics of me with a coffee in my hands so far. But some day. I also put Never Seize on the wire connections for my machines. This way they will leve lots of nice prints.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Harry,
A local boat yard had a large sign posted out front that read:
PREMISES PATROLlED BY GUARD DOGS THREE NIGHTS A WEEK. GUESS WHICH THREE.
Not sure how effective it was, but is certainly food for thought.
Harry
Carl

Re: Surveillance Cameras and equipment

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:H Well I have to say that for several years now things have been changing and we no longer live in Mayberry.
hb
I don't think Mayberry is Mayberry anymore...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The issue with anything other than motion activated alarms is its usualy after the fact when you discover the breakin.

I looked into a camera system and decided the better alternative was preventing a breakin, not recording one.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Love the arrow thing....
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walterk if nothing else the thief will go thru life with the linguring through " i could get hurt doing this maybe i should get a job." i belive sombody like bruce or harry trying to protect there own premises should go out and buy a few inexpensive two light motion detectors . the better ones have controls for senitivity next he would run a two wire to the master bedroom with a 15 watt small bulb and sockett or a small buzzer. now a thief breaking into his shop/garage would give them the element of surprise. both al. and fl. allows you to riddle the body with bullets and ask questions later.i have one in front and one in back .a intruder breaks that beam i will be arm and dangerous and meet him on my own grounds under a "controlled situation" first too identify how many and secondly to ambush without getting my family hurt. and most of all empty the magazine into him dead man tell no tales or create lawsuits.a hell of better idea then bringing fuzzy pictures to the police or the usual 24/7 problem of the tapes and recorder not working.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

both al. and fl. allows you to riddle the body with bullets and ask questions later
Actually NY is one of the minority hold out states...

Currently 31 states have a Castle Doctrine in place.
Castle Doctrine Adoption by States:

As of the 28th of May, 2010, 31 States have some form of Castle Doctrine and/or Stand Your Ground law. Alabama,[9] Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island,[10] South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah,[11] West Virginia and Wyoming have adopted Castle Doctrine statutes, and other states (Montana, Nebraska,[12] New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington) are currently considering "Stand Your Ground" laws of their own.[13][14][15]

Some of the states that have passed or are considering "stand your ground" legislation already are considered "stand your ground" in their case law. Indiana and Georgia, among other states, already had "stand your ground" case law and passed "stand your ground" statutes due to possible concerns of the case law being replaced by "duty to retreat" in future court rulings. Other states, including Washington, have "stand your ground" in their case law but have not adopted statutes; West Virginia had a long tradition of "stand your ground" in its case law[16] before codifying it as a statute in 2008. These states did not have civil immunity for self defense in their previous self defense statutes.

Utah has historically adhered to the principles of "stand your ground" without the need to refer to this new legislation. The use of deadly force to defend persons on one's own property is specifically permitted by Utah state law. The law specifically states that a person does not have a duty to retreat[17] from a place where a person has lawfully entered or remained.

In Oklahoma (according to the Oklahoma State Courts Network), the amendment changes a number of other aspects of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act, the statutes concerning justifiable homicide. As 21 O.S. 2001, Section 1289.25 now lists circumstances in which it is presumed that a person who uses deadly force "reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." In addition, it helps to protect law-abiding citizens from arrest when using deadly force. Law enforcement agencies must now have probable cause to believe that the use of deadly force was unlawful before an arrest can be made.

For Full Discussion

AndreF

Post by AndreF »

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. patrick until the bleeding heard dems. can see the forest from the trees i guess that intruder will "always " have a gun or knife on him along with 10- 40 cal rounds from a s&w in his chest------yes i even sleep with my gun!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

andreF i laugh for 5 minutes--------------perfect !!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bob, Being an avid bowhunter I love your story with the field point...In Mass if you have a license to carry and you shoot someone you must be in eminent danger...that means the perp must be within 4' of you and brining lethal harm to you before you can shoot them...need to bring castle doctrine up my way. BH
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bob,

Read the 31 states again... MA is one of them with the Castle Doctrine. Don't trust street/cop talk about what is and isn't legal. MA is, however, also a "May Issue" state which basically means they don't need much of a reason to deney a CW permit.

While some states allow you to have a firearm, that isn't permitted for carry, within your car, on your property, & even at your work place under the Castle Doctrine, others don't allow in your car or workplace without permits.

MA seems to have a more limited interpretation of "Castle Doctrine" in that it apparently only applies to "within the dwelling". In contrast, Texas includes your entire property boundries, work place and vehicle.

For more detail about MA gun laws, see: Massachusetts Concealed Carry Permit Information

Also see: Stand Your Ground Laws
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. i have the 14 state carry permit and mass ain`t one of them . i cannot take my pistol through the state even in a case to my house in maine to go hunting!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I haven't checked the regs, but I think that you can transport a ligimate hunting rifle or shotgun from any state & through any state... Each state will vary on how the fire arm must be packaged within your vehicle, but I don't know of any state that has a comprehensive ban on hunting rifles or shotguns.

There are hunters that claim an AK47 is a legitimate hunting rifle, and no question about it can be used as such. But several states would define the AK47 as a combat rifle rather than a hunting rifle. So it may depend on just what "hunting rifle" is being transported.

Pistols can be effective hunting guns, (hog hunting in Texas or Florida for example), but transporting hand guns under the guise of hunting may be a mute point with most states, and fall under their defensive gun laws.

Hard to convince a state trooper that your 40 cal Sig Sauer is a deer gun in disguise...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bruce wrote:I looked into a camera system and decided the better alternative was preventing a breakin, not recording one.
Bruce, that actually make a lot of good sense.

This topic generated a good conversation that I personally have enjoyed......thanks guys

Good shot Bob....to bad you cannot get that one mounted! ! ! ! I actually sleep with protectection and with one eye open also....but I have to say that I will be looking more towards deterrents as well as surveillance......

Thanks my friends

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

OK, here's a Texas Deterrent that got a lot of local press about 30 years ago...

There's a small junk yard/machine shop business not too far out from Houston. Gets broken into and burgled. Some folks wouldn't think that there was much of value there, but to the owner it represented most of his life and livelihood.

He'd been at this location for untold years, knew everybody in town and everybody knew him. Never had a break in throughout those years. Wrote the incident off as a once in a lifetime event and replaced his lost items. No insurance...

A month goes by and he get another break in. Thieves ransack the place, steal some more equipment and inventory. Now the owner gets pissed and along with replacements, installs a central bugler alarm.

Another month goes by, the thieves thwart the alarm system, cops don't respond soon enough, more lost stuff.

Now in addition to the repaired alarm system, he puts a couple of bad ass dogs inside his fenced property.

Few weeks go by, dogs are poisoned, audible part of the alarm disabled, again the slow cops.

At this point the owner has really had it up to his eyes...

Next day, he closes his business for the weekend and goes hunting.

Hunting rattlesnakes that is....

He rounds up a dozen or so, returns to the business, puts the snakes in pens, and puts up numerous "Beware of Rattlesnakes" signs. Every evening he releases the snakes in the building and goes home and sleeps like a baby.

Every morning he enters the building, spends an hour or so collecting the snakes and returning them to their pens.

Has had a few broken and jimmied windows, and alarm set off a time or two, but has not suffered a full break in or theft since.

Harry, ya' gotta' go on a rattlesnake hunt...

Oh, and also, a judge rulled that the owner was completely within his rights to have and release his snakes within his premises. His liability was protected by the fact that he'd posted all of warning signs. Once the media blabbed the news, everyone for a hundred miles knew of the crazy rattlesnake guy.

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Pat wrote:Harry, ya' gotta' go on a rattlesnake hunt...
Pat.....you gotta know one thing for sure and certain......spiders don't bother me much at all, crazy and unreasonable witchey women....no problem, the dark don't scare me much at all, I have dove in the ocean with sharks, hit with 3 phase high voltage........but you gotta know

I AM FREAKING SCARED TO DEATH OF A SLITHERY SNAKE

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry...must be a Machinist thing as I was thinking the same thing when I read it . The Hell with the thieves...it would keep me away. Hate snakes...hate'em...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

At age 12, I was the neighbohood herpetologist. Taught my mom & two younger sisters to appreciate snakes. Loved to do amazing stunts like have a 3' bull snake latch onto my hand and then dangle him at arms length. Largest collection was somewhere in the range of 20 - 25 snakes.

Snakes I love, it's the damned rodents that I hate. Snakes eat rodents so that makes 'em my buddies.

You two little girls just gotta' cowboy-up...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I was in the Boy Scouts as a youngster. One day while at summer camp I was fishing on the bank of the lake at Camp Euchee. Well a Common Water snake came swimming by....I beat him to death with my cane pole then took him to the Nature Hut to be put on display.

From there one of the senior scouts scolded me for killing such an innocent snake......then he was going to put that snake on me.....I ran and ran and avoided that guy for 2 days. He kept hunting me down and heckling me about that damn snake.

Well.....after 2 days I figured I had enough of that crap so the next time that guy screwed with me I punched him.....then the race was on......we both ended up in the camp directors office for discipline.

Now I am wondering.......Patrick......was that YOU?????

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm not sure what happened along the way...mom tells me on more then one occasion she found a live snake in my pocket when checking pockets for the wash. I really don't recall...

Heights and Snakes just send the little hairs on the back of my neck straight up.

Height too...as a kid I used to walk across the top Rail of Swing Sets... fell off once getting a bunch of stitches across the eyebrow, but went up again anyway...but some time after heights just lost there appeal.

Not a huge problem... the snake population here in NY is somewhat limited to the occasional Garden Snake...but when camping Upstate...I do try to avoid the areas with the Rattlesnakes.

Then again, when eeling for Stripers....I'm sure I look like a little girl squirming as the eel wraps around my arm when I try to hook it...Yuck! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Next subject please...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

I had a drawing instructor at UofH that was from NYC, Bill Anzalone. Tall lanky guy, raised Great Danes, super macho type. Was so afraid of snakes he'd only walk on paved surfaces outdoors...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. in regards to transporting between states i stated pistol,as far as hunting rifles goes there are no problems .i have even tranported by airplane in the hole but it is a pain and exact restrictions must be follow they will open 100% of the time for inspection then wire tie together. i believe nj is the only restrictive state on rifle/shotgun transport. i don`t care about ak-47 i have no use for one but they past laws in that state to restrict assalt guns meanwhile legimate hunters are screwed with semi-auto shotguns for bird/duck hunting.
moving right along for defending your home usually in dark lighting conditions and close encounters of the wrong kind you want a pistol grip short barrel shotgun firing 00 buck . a ak-47/ ar-15 has to be aimed the shotgun is by far the most deadly weapon for a sudden encounter with a perp. for jungle warfare we were issue 000 buck i don`t think you can buy that but 00 will do firing 7 -30cal. balls in one shell. firing from the hip or semi aim in a dark machine shop at 20' -----one dead son of a bitch.this is why i wanted harry to install a professional light beam very inexpensive used in small stores to let the owner know a shopper has entered . set for shoulder waste height of a adult cannot be set off by animal/rodent . you would know for shore a perp. is in your shop stealing given that advantage wait in dark and fill his chest with 00 buck .either way word is out " you steal and you die". cannot take chances with your life these days assume his intentions are to kill you and family!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

CaptPatrick wrote:I had a drawing instructor at UofH that was from NYC, Bill Anzalone. Tall lanky guy, raised Great Danes, super macho type. Was so afraid of snakes he'd only walk on paved surfaces outdoors...

We all got our quirks...
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,
Most of the time it really doesn't take much to burglar proof a home or business.

During the dot com boom time in the 90's, I taught wealthy people who were afraid of kidnappings, thefts and various other assaults how to protect themselves while home and out.

One part of the training was burglar proofing your home and creating a safe room within the house. Many responded by claiming that the "gated community" armed guards would do the job.

At which time I told them the story at Admirals Cove(ritzy gated in Jupiter) where a full sized moving van got past the one entrance guard gate, and Pat can attest how difficult it is to even get in legit to this place, and proceeded to pull up to a house who's occupants were traveling in Europe, clear the house of everything including the bolted down safes and left without a trace.

After that it was an easy sell. After all who really thinks a 12/hr rent a cop or a real cop for that matter is gonna put themselves in harms way for your belongings? I wouldn't. I would for mine, but then again where the hell am I ever gonna find another container of U235 these days.

I had forgot my own teachings(getting old) when first looking at camera systems then remembered and decided to go the other way. While in the short term it was more expensive than cameras, I don't have to worry about watching a video of someone carting off my belongings or more so stealing a firearm and using it to kill or harm someone else.

I reserve that right to myself.

Funny how people will spend their money to monitor and watch, but not to prevent.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

In Panama, Captain Pat & I, we were touring the grounds of Tropic Star Lodge between some ponds and jungle stuff, in a drizzle, and there was this 7-8' snake, looked like a thick (muscular) black runner to me, just laying there, I've had many snakes for pets since I was small and caught many in Louisiana devoting many a day to just that, so I enjoyed looking at this "foreign" species. Then all of a sudden Capt Pat grabs his tail and starts this tug of war with a critter longer than Capt Pat is tall. It was funny. That's when I knew he liked snakes.

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yeah, Andre, that was the highlight of the trip for me... Better than catchin' sails.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Andre wrote:Then all of a sudden Capt Pat grabs his tail and starts this tug of war
I like the idea of grabing tail......but not when there is a snake on the other end.......LOL

hb
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

hell the first deer i ever killed was with a ruger mini 14 which is an asult rifle. so is a barret 50 cal not a huntring rifle?
I always wanted to rig up a deal where if my car alarm was armed it electrified my door handles so when those bastards tried to break it it would nail them.

Harry one of our customers is in a bad area, they service lift equipment, man lifts lulls ext they installed a 10000volt electric fence 18" inside there barb wire fence. i think its only like 2 or 4 amps so not enough to kill you just make you shit your pants. They had a couple guys jump the barb wire fence and then realize what kinda trouble they were in ... you may want to look into that as a prevenative measure
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I like the idea of grabing tail......but not when there is a snake on the other end.......LOL
Are we still talking reptiles or ex wives?

I guess I'll answer my own question with a question, Is there a difference?

Those two pics are of a device I built in the 80's to electrify the shop windows and door handles when we were closed to prevent breakins.

There were 6 of em and this is the only one left, been in the utility shed for 15 years.

It used a 70's vintage Ford ignition module, coil, trigger circuit and transformer to run off 110vac.

The coil tower output was tied to the window frames and door handles and shocked just like getting hit from a plug wire.

The only issue is the metal had to be not grounded for it to work.

I had't thought of this thing till Matts post.
coolair

Post by coolair »

hehe now we r talking!
harry! make a few and let us know if you have any other problems
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854