Head Door..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

Head Door..

Post by Bob H. »

Head Door custom made by local cabinet maker Art Morais, couple questions...reccomendations for finishing, epoxy & epihanes, or straight epihanes being "inside" the cabin. Made from mahogany.

Next Capt. Pat you had some fine door hardware...source? Door is only 3/4" thick so a motise lock may not work...any ideas?

Thanks for any help..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hell bob your not going to want to get any blood on that boat after you finish. cant wait to see the finished product
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Make them crap in a bucket!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob i am also building a wooden door for the head on my boat . needless to say it takes time because i do everything myself . i put the louvers on the bottom and recess panel on top so i could put mirror on head side . louvers on bottom double as the airflow (return air) for ac mounted on bottom rear of vanity.i will use fast build up rapid clear 5 coats then follow up with rubbed effect , all varnish by epifane .this matches the rest of the cabinetry in cabin ,nothing gloss in cabin.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

I really want to figure out how to make my own doors. I could use the skill in many places, amongst which is my boat. I need to make a couple doors for home too.

I know I can buy online, but the satisfaction just ain't the same...

Any advice on good books to guide me, or perhaps a shop in the MA area willing to give a lesson?
Dug

Post by Dug »

And duh...

Bob, that door is absolutely magnificent!!!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug of all the projects you may encounter buiding your dream 31 bertram i feel designing and building the interior millwork is the most rewarding. there is abosolutely no pleasure ginding the fiberglass cockpit cleates off to relocate on transum but building a new door for the head in your basement during the winter is cool. i purchase a porta-cable router and router table then purchase only 1/2" shank bits . buy stock from a real lumber yard and follow directions to make raised panel doors .here is my sourse for woodworking tools and hardware.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... ed%20panel
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

these are the small doors in the galley but the head or entrance door is done the same way. you can use any combination of wood you want or all teak .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i wrap all doors and floor boards with 5/16" epie` but you can just go with traditional raised panel doors. my head door is delaminating so i have to build new some may relaminate with 1/4" teak plywood skin but i like the look of raise panel doors.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, I have all the fun toys needed from a cabinet saw (a big MF table saw), router, router table, etc.

Just don't really know what I need depending on the door, and tricks to look out for. One I do know is the little rubber balls to allow for expansion and contraction of the middle section. But what bits, saw or router, etc.

And practice, Practice, practice...

I just have to get to it.

I do dearly love the glassed in windshield and cut out area to port inside of your cabin too.

Damned nice...

Remember I put in my deck with a friend, the v-berth teak, and the replacement flooring in the cabin, along with a bunch of other stuff on the boat and elsewhere, so I have some modicum of wood working skills! :)
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks for the input guys...and the bucket IS the first line of defense Brew..
The carpenter who made the door is a magician...while working on my office we got to talkn about boats...I asked if he could make a couple of doors for me..
While he was on vacation he brought me three samples of different mahogany from a specialty wood dealer, measured and sketched out a plan on a napkin and whipped this out...in only 3 days..
The louvers are not slats...you cannot see through the door unless you stand on your head..
Could I make a door like this maybe...rather leave that sort of work to the pros...he is a third generation cabinet maker...that kind of experience you cant get by reading a book.
I am begining to realize I have to sub out "some" of the work in order to get this girl floating..
I have been very fortunate to have a group of talented friends lend a hand to bring my crazy vision for this boat to life..
Charlie...there will be tuna blood on my boat..gonna be a simple but sweet ride built for one purpose to kill fish....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

dug i would not say there are many tricks like capt.patrick has with forming a glass rounded door. one inportant note is to leave 1/4" clearance both up and down and left and right when you measure the insert 1/4" panel. the cutout on the styles have to be "dead nuts perfect" or the panel will not center . good bar clamps and be damm sure you don`t get glue on insert panel (must be free to expand and contract).make sure to clamp on flat surface like table saw table . really the router does all the work just get a feel for the rate of feed .the three dimentional look of the raised panel door blows away a flat door on the head and entrance a million to one . i believe jp has a teak cabin entrance door real classy for a 31 bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

The router bits are a touch pricey , practice with pine and learn to back up the trailing end to eliminate tear out, let center panal float, let the doors acclimate to the envirnment for a considerable time before finishing them
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

You guys amaze me.......those are great looking doors

Looks like the work of Randall to me! ! !

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Lets keep it in perspective...its a shi*t house door...BH
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yea bob i was thinking along the same lines . thanks for the compliment harry but the truth is i could not hold randall`s tools!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473