fuel filter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mike Moran

fuel filter

Post by Mike Moran »

I have yanmars 230 engines the question I have is their a conversion to a spin on filter for the on engine filter as opposed to the can type filter from the factory ? the old cars had that type of option for oil filters. I should make my self clear its the fuel filter that I am refering to . it would make it easier to change a filter in a sea way if they did .
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mike,
I never ran across a conversion for that filter. I have a conversion to remote mount the oil filter but I faintly remember the question comming up at a dealer meeting about many of the secondary fuel filters being cartridges and due to the design of the fuel lines, there was none.

If you have a good primary, I doubt you'd ever have to change that secondary due to debris under way.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i have the racors before the engine filters, never had a problem with them clogging up, change mine every 100 hrs with oil change, i do agree they are a pain in the ass when changing out
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

you would have to mount a fuel block. bad design , the cannister is built as a sort of a fuel junction point then the fuel filter goes inside . last placed on american cars 1967 . basicly they have eliminated a fuel block to save weight and made a all in one point. this was a point of blockage on a pair of 370hp in a egg harbor .went thru the raccor , thru the yanmar primary filter and clog the cartrige filter just enough to cut wot to 3400 rpm.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Speaking of fuel filters...I installed Racor 900's with the Racor priming pumps on my 6BTA 270's. Pumps were expensive...about $400 each side.

Makes primary filter change really easy. The assemby becomes pretty tall because the pump is just above the bowl.

I still have to fill the final filter and hope that I can suck the air through.

Last time I did this I noticed that there was a 1/4 NPT plug in the casting aft of where the final filter went up.

What do you think about removing that pipe plug, installing a petcock with a female end that would take a pipe plug? The point being that I could remove that plug, open the petcock, bleed all filters untilI got solid fuel, close the petcock and leave the pump running until the engine starts, replace pipe plug..done.

Winter project unless someone thinks that my thinking is flawed.

Ken