Exhaust hose removal help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveC

Exhaust hose removal help

Post by SteveC »

I'm trying to remove my hard (wire reinforced) rubber exhaust hoses to repair and paint the area underneath during winter layup. Getting the hose clamps off was easy but the hose seems fused to both the engine flange and the outlet flange.
Any thoughts on how to loosen these pups up and slide 'em off without destroying?
At $20/ft for new ones I'm not excited about just cutting them!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Steve - try an electric heat gun and see if you can work some CX between the surfaces.

UV
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I usually try to slip a flat blade screw driver between the hose and the pipe to break it loose. You just have to be very careful that you do not rupture the hose unless you figure on replacing it then there are a whole host of options.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

There is a tool I've seen mechanics use to get under hoses that you might ask about in a Auto supply store. It has a solid handle like a good screwdriver but the end of the shaft is like flattened icepick that has been bent to a right angle. They work the end under the tubing and then work it around the flange to loosen the hose. It's not a flimsy tool as it sometimes gets a lot of stresss. Yours is probably "cooked" on from all the heat. Walter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The dull side of a clam knife and the heat gun should do the trick.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Absolutely will be easier if you squirt some corrosion x or WD-40 or some sort of light spray oil under there.

Be patient, work it in, and it will come apart with elbow grease.

Dug
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

I just removed mine last week and used a hack saw blade with duct tape wrapped around one end to make a handle. Work it in between the fitting and hose to separate the two. I had a muffler connection that I had been trying to get loose for nearly 30 minutes and the yard guy came over with his magic tool that Walter described. He got it loose and the other two I had not gotten to yet in about five minutes. If you can find it, get the tool!!!! Eddy G.