28 Flybridge Windshield

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

28 Flybridge Windshield

Post by scooter28 »

Guys looking for some advice. My windshield on my bertram has basically cracked in half. I have a tarp on the boat and if anyone remembers all the snow that we got in the NE this winter you prolly know where i'm going with this. Anyways the weight of the snow mixed with its age cracked it so now i need a new one.

I'm looking at making a new windshield myself. I really like the look of the tinted windshields. So i was looking into using the smoke gray lexan. Only problem is i've read that lexan isn't the best at holding up in the sun. If any of you guys have any experiance with this id appreciate the feedback. One sheet of 1/4" lexan is almost 500 bucks don't wanna spend that money and have it not work. Thanks
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I would try a piece of Plexi (a bit thicker) first. It's flexible, cheaper and you might learn something in the process. A few of the guys have put in those reverse venturi ones and speak very highly of their wind and spray deflection as well as a bit more useable space underneath. FYI, I still have the old style so I hope you'll hear from someone who has the reversed one.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I would check with Danny P on a price before I dropped $500 bucks on a piece of plastic that may turn into scrap.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I have a smoke plexi reverse venturi on my B31. 3 pc. Amazing how it deflects the wind and spray, and as Walter says, opens up the fly bridge a lot. Makes the "wet" B31 into a dry boat. I can send you some pix, (Sunday, heading to the camp & boat right now) royvictor@cox.net Mine was made by a boat yard but if you make the mold for the curved sides I understand the plexi is pretty easy to work with just a heat gun. And its cheap as dirt. My first one lasted 15 years with just a few minor cracks until hurricane Katrina ran a outboard lower unit thru it in '05....the new one is still like new and the boat stays outdoors in the water 365.

UV
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thanks guys. not so sure i want to go with plexiglass i hate how easy the stuff shatters. Also lexan is much easier to machine. But if the price is right for smoked plexi than maybe that would be a better bet at least to make sure that its what i want before i throw done more money. Also Vic i'd apprecciate that i have no idea what you're talking about but sounds interesting if i could use the same design on my 28.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Plexi cracks, doesn't shatter.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

thats kinda what i meant wrong use of words though haha
Face

Post by Face »

Charlie, that's Hightide right? I think that's where I bought mine about 3 years ago. You have to make this from a very large sheet. I don't think you should risk making it on your own. Buy it and have it shipped. I believe Capt. Pat has instructions on how to drill it in the Building Tips section as well, be careful not to ruin this $500 piece during installation.
-Joe
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Before you engineer a replacement spray shield check with Bertram's parts dept as well as Danny Piedra of High Tide Marine , they have the lead on an O.E.M. replacement spray shield.

I replaced mine in '07 and it was a simple drill and bolt on installation: a few plas-drill bits from www.craftics.com and neoprene cushioning&sealing washers from McMaster Carr www.mcmaster.com and a couple of hours to dry fit, drill and install.

The spray shield is made out of Chemcast's GP cell cast acrylic sheets, www.chemcastscrylics.com

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

well found a couple sites selling the lexan for about 230 bucks. I think im gonna go this route because i have other plans with the rest of the sheet. Like making doors and stuff. As far as making the windshield the hardest part will be drawing the windshield up in a flat layout. I'm a fabricator and have the ability to remake the shield very easily. So having said that if anyone else here is interested in a windshield i'm sure we could work something out.

Also my old shield had square blocks between the fiberglass and windshield. Do you guys use this same method for mounting?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Scooter - I took a couple of photos of mine on the B31 this weekend & they may give you some ideas. Shoot me an email as I'm too stone age to post pix here. royvictor@cox.net

UV