Northstar 951 chart cartridge needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

daydreams

Northstar 951 chart cartridge needed

Post by daydreams »

Does anyone have or know where I can find a Long Island, South Shore chart cartridge for a Northstar 951. I was told that I need the older type card.
Thanks
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Have you tried Freeport Marine?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

iam with mike freeport marine
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Thanks I will try them buttt.
I bought some old electronics from one of our members for a fair price.
I gave them to Navcom in copiague or amityville to check them out hoping to get Day Dreams in the water and running with usable electronics for the first year. They said throw out some and for a few dollars they would get the rest working and updated. Their few dollars came to $700.00.
I went to put the first unit in the boat, the Northstar and the antenna end fell off. For $20.00 they put a new one on.
Then the GPS did not work and is slow to start. They said I need a chart of Long Island.
So I am not happy with Navcom and am trying to not put much more money into this old stuff.
I will contact Freeport.
Thanks
Gary
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The chip should have nothing to do with it. The Northstar has a basic chart built into it. Any slowness at startup usually happens when the unit has to first "find" itself when taken to a new location that is far away from where it has been previously used. If it is having a hard time connecting to satellites (see slowness) Try the unit on another 951's antenna. Many of us have them.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

I will check it out. It starts slow only at times. I figure I need the chart to determine if the unit ops properly or not.
Is this unit worth the effort to keep as a back up, etc.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I can't speak for yours, but I've liked them well enough to have a 951 and a 952.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Thanks everyone,
I am getting old / I'll say older, the company I dealt with was Navtech they are all about taking in money, not so concerned with the output part.
I stopped in Freeport marine. They have the chart for $200.00.
I will have to think about it. I have already invested money and have nothing.
I put in a new bronze through hull for a garmen . I think I will just buy the garmen for now and look for a used chart or bite the bullet [next year].
thanks
Gary
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

gary
ill let you borrow my canyon chip or my inshore chip for a day and see if it makes a difference on the speed
Jack

Post by Jack »

before you spend a lot on chips, check the software version. Older versions will have problems reading anything when the new sat is in range. The northstar site has the details along with a download that will let you do the upgrade for yourself
unabashed hyena lover
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

My unit was said to have been recently updated.
If you dont mind that would be great if I could borrow your chart for an hour or two.
I will guarantee its safe return.
thanks
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pm sent