31 Bertram with twin 350 yamaha story

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RichardA

Post by RichardA »

It should be noted, I saw most of the process of this boat's restoration at Dog River Marina. This boat is rigged for cocktail cruises and weekend getaways, not fishing. The boat doesn't even have rod holders.From what I understand, the owner is an old fisherman, but doesn't care for it anymore. He wanted a true classic boat with the functionality of a newer outboard powered boat. Like many of you have said, it ain't for me, but I can appreciate peoples varing needs out of their boat. It may look a little different from the original, but it is still a beautiful boat.
1967 31 Bahia Mar
Carl

Post by Carl »

RichardA wrote:It should be noted, I saw most of the process of this boat's restoration at Dog River Marina. This boat is rigged for cocktail cruises and weekend getaways, not fishing. The boat doesn't even have rod holders.From what I understand, the owner is an old fisherman, but doesn't care for it anymore. He wanted a true classic boat with the functionality of a newer outboard powered boat. Like many of you have said, it ain't for me, but I can appreciate peoples varing needs out of their boat. It may look a little different from the original, but it is still a beautiful boat.
Well there you have it, the perfect setup for a guy with good taste in shallow waters.

Captbone makes a good point too. Being in the business you see all the problem children. Being good in the business you see even more.
scot

Post by scot »

Captbone,

I do agree that Yamaha makes a good outboard, and that 90% of boaters will not put many hours on them per year....or during a life time of boating. And yes, they are much faster. Yes they go in shallow water.

With that said, a really good outboard (pick a brand) may live to see 1500-3000 hours vs 8,500 - 20,000 hours from a diesel. 8,000 hours would be considered a "safe bet" for most, assuming they are propped correctly and not turned up too high. Resale, would you rather buy a 10 year old OB, or a 10 year old diesel?

This board has boats that still have their factory original CAT 3208 diesels. That is something like 35+ years and still taking their owners fishing. I really do not think any outboards built today (or ever) will be pushing 11,000 lb boats around 35 years later.

OB's are built lighter, to go faster and the boat builders don't have to do anything but bolt them on. Which makes the boat/motor package cheaper for the buyer. Builders are happy, owners BUY the added MPH and they are happy. Also, don't forget that many boat owners have no idea what a raw water pump does, and they want an OEM warrantee on the entire drive system....get a fishing line in the lower unit seals, call the dealer......blow up the powerhead, call the dealer.......hard to start, call the dealer.......makes a funny noise, call the dealer. After all, it's all under warrantee!

The point is that OB's are consumer/market driven, not longevity driven.

Each have their place, to each his own, it is an apples-oranges debate.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
captbone

Post by captbone »

Scot

You hit the nail on the head and I could not have said it better myself.

I know its an apples to oranges debate but I dont want the apple owners to constantly speak misinformation about the oranges. The oranges do have there place even if its not your taste.

Mechanical Diesels are going to outlast OBs by two of three times the life, no one is argueing that. I fell in love with a 31 with a pair of 471 the other day that must have been 40 years old. Having said that a fair comparison would be the new lightweight electronic diesel which I dont think are going to make it 20-30 years.

My whole point is that you can get 8-10 years out of an outboard reliably. The vast majority of people including people on this board will have less then 500hrs on those engines(diesel or outboard) in those 10 years.

Not everyone is going to the canyon.

Not everyone wants the same engines for life.

Just my 2 cents.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

captbone wrote:Scot

You hit the nail on the head and I could not have said it better myself.

I know its an apples to oranges debate but I dont want the apple owners to constantly speak misinformation about the oranges. The oranges do have there place even if its not your taste.

Mechanical Diesels are going to outlast OBs by two of three times the life, no one is argueing that. I fell in love with a 31 with a pair of 471 the other day that must have been 40 years old. Having said that a fair comparison would be the new lightweight electronic diesel which I dont think are going to make it 20-30 years.

My whole point is that you can get 8-10 years out of an outboard reliably. The vast majority of people including people on this board will have less then 500hrs on those engines(diesel or outboard) in those 10 years.

Not everyone is going to the canyon.

Not everyone wants the same engines for life.

Just my 2 cents.
I am just finishing the 14th year on my 150 Evinrudes. THe mechanics told me I would be crazy to repower because the engines still run beautifully. I would think that how the owner drives the boat might affect the life of an outboard engine as well, maybe this older ex-fisherman doent really push those Yammies very haed.
clay

Post by clay »

I’m looking at the pictures and it looks to me like you have plenty of room to add two more 350s and get yourself a 4 pack out back (that’s a down under way of saying outboard).

I am calculating 68 to 70 mph in calm seas using the industry standard "Horse Power multiplied by boat length divided by planned speed divided by the number of full beers left in a 12 pack for a 200 lb. male to pass an Arizona field sobriety test (9 is the number if you did not know)".

Even with the antique B31 Hull shape you can trim outboards so much better than fixed shaft boats that you can overcome the hull design and attain very high speeds especially if you have enough HP to get her riding on the last 2 feet of the hull or better yet just the props (who needs hydrofoils).

If you use the space where the old diesel anchors used to be for additional fuel tanks that are flush with the deck you can increase your total run time to something just over 4.5 hours at 90% power. The old high rise anchor covers can go and you can install some nice L seating on one side, a small wet bar on the other side, add a bunch of drink holders, get a whole bunch of vinyl and cover every interior surface with multi colors in flame and abstract patterns that spell out "bad ass something or other" Install a vinyl wrap on the outside that matches your motor coach you know the one that use a pusher anchor to move it and your toys down the Highway.

Now here is the fun part - drop Steppin Wolf in the Surround Sound Stereo and head for Lake Havasu the guys at the poker run will never believe that it is a 40 year old boat and don't worry none of them have even heard of a Bertram. I guarantee you, you will be the only one on the lake with a fly bridge, tuna tower and outriggers, just turn the keys to fire all the guns at once and explode into space.

HA
randall

Post by randall »

exactly
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Clay thats awsome. I wont get that picture out of my mind for a while.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

ROCK THE F*CK ON!!!!!!!!!

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"