calling Buju

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

calling Buju

Post by JohnCranston »

Buju,
I know that you're the master when it comes to working with wood. I was curious about how the plantation teak was working out for you. I remember that you were working with it a couple of years ago or so. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Many thanks.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks John, but I don't think I'm the master of anything... except maybe baiting.
The plantation teak is strange and funky wood. Ray (Tunawish) called it from the get-go. It's unstable, a little green, and tough to work with. Extreme UV exposure will cause the ends to check. All in all it is very similar to working with ipé, and behaves like ipé when exposed to the elements. It won't rot, but
it's not stable and calm like FEQ Burmese teak.
I do not see any long term cost benefit by going with the FAS plantation teak in an exterior application (interior-cabin, etc... sure). The initial purchase price is attractive, but I think you'll work more to maintain it and end up replacing it much sooner than Burmese- thereby throwing any savings right inna crapper.

DQ, how is that rocket launcher holding up? Anything besides the checking?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Buju,
Thanks for the insight. I'll stay clear of the plantation stuff. When we were in NY, I was real impressed with Ed Curry's deck behind his house that he made out of ipe. The marina in Greenport had a huge deck that was made out of the same stuff. Ed handed me a piece about a foot long and I couldn't believe how heavy and hard it was. No one seems to use it on the coast here in Tx. Next time around, that's the way I'm going to go.
Thanks again.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

The Ipe is great stuff and if you let it go silver it's maintenance free.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
randall

Post by randall »

ipe is so dense it dosen't float. tough but heavy.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Buju & John,

Yeah, I was just keeping it clean & using Teak Oil to keep it looking fresh, but yes, it does check on you on the ends. Even though it was sanded & planed smooth & routered. So I finally just varnished it and going to see how it goes.

I would not go there again if I had it to do over again. I think I would use Spinelli or Burmese Teak. But ipe is not very easy to work unless you have lots of extra saw blades and drill bits and sanding pads, very dense and hard and long lasting. Like Ed said, let it turn silver and be done with it. Works very good patio decks and so on, I did use some in my subflooring on the 31. Here are some pictures since its been varnished.

DQ

Image[/img]
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Expensive cup holders huh DQ?

But I like them, alot.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andre,

Yeah, West Marine specials and they hold R/C drinks and bruski's and other drinks just great. At least it helps keep my crew from spilling their drinks all over the place, I'll change those puppies out soon, going to put some SS in there place.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Don't get me wrong, DQ, it was a compliment. All that beautiful woodwork and to hold drink holders! Ha! I like your priorties.
My crew would love it, most of the time they work w/one hand but wouldn't have to on your boat.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

looks terrific and beautiful grain . quite a select piece and nice varnish work.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Doug, Decided to keep the boat I hope. Made me a little sad when you posted it up for sale a while back.

Eddy G.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andre,

I did take it as a compliment, Thanks. Now thats funny about your crew working with one hand. Does take two to reel a fish in. lol!

Thanks Bob for the compliment, Great job on yours, looks fantastic.

Eddy G,

Yeah...things opened up sooner than I thought they would and decided to hold on a little longer and see how things go. The strange thing is a B31 is like a child, it's just Damn hard to let it go after all the work & sweat that you put into one.

DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"