Bull Shark caught in the Potomac

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scooter28

Bull Shark caught in the Potomac

Post by scooter28 »

For those of you in the bay and like me in the Potomac thought i'd share this. Buddy of mine caught this 8ft bull shark in one of his bait nets right of Point Lookout.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/weird ... 87408.html
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

One of many reasons I prefer the pool to the bay.
Face

Post by Face »

Back when trout came in the bay, my dad and I had one fishing trip in particular where we pulled up many trout heads, but no bodies. I was probably about 8-10 and this was around 1990. We thought for sure there was a shark around waiting to make an easy meal of our fish. Of course there were also 15lb bluefish all over the Bay then too...

There's lots of talk of high salinity(major spring drought) this year and ocean species coming further up the bay. I guess it's irrelevant as bull sharks are known for travelling way up rivers into fresh water.
-Joe
Ken Hudson

Post by Ken Hudson »

Years ago with my wooden boat we thought nothing of going five or ten miles off shore..however far until the water got so clear that it seemed almost luminescent. We'd shut the boat down and start swimming. I'd clean the boot, take a look at the zincs and the garboards. Have sandwiches. go swimming. A wonderful day.

I would know more do that present day than walk through Roxbury on a hot Saturday night.

Several days ago there was a blue shark in Salem Harbor. Several Great Whites have been landed. We never get fish like that around here, esp. right inshore. Oddly, the whales are on the SW corner of Stellwagen. Late Aug/Sept. they are almost always up on the NW corner.

It will be completely changed by Saturday.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bull sharks have been reported in mid-Bay for as long as I can remember. Guys livelining the bridge a year or two ago said they saw a big shark a few times. Nice pics.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

A couple of years ago a friend was fighting a Drum out near the target ships off Tangier island and wound up with only half a drum on the line!! I haven't gone swimming in the Bay since!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bull Sharks have done a lot of the damage blamed on Great Whites. They are known for their habit of waiting for fishermen to catch hook and line fish and just swim by and take half. Easy work for them without the effort of chasing anything down. The sharks are coming further inshore for the same reason Mexicans come across the border... the need for sustinance. The taking of their normal baitfish by the commercial fisheries have them looking further for food. Thirty years ago we had huge schools of Mackerel, Whiting, Bunker, etc. that seemed to be endless. The pickings were easy then. No need to come inshore. Not any more.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ken Hudson wrote:Years ago with my wooden boat we thought nothing of going five or ten miles off shore..however far until the water got so clear that it seemed almost luminescent. We'd shut the boat down and start swimming. I'd clean the boot, take a look at the zincs and the garboards. Have sandwiches. go swimming. A wonderful day.

I would know more do that present day than walk through Roxbury on a hot Saturday night.
My opinion--
More sharks back in them days then we have now. Then people only knew of their little area of the world and big news events. Today we all know the tidbits of everyones world... thanks to Al Gores Internet.

I wouldn't jump in the water if I saw sharks roming around...I really don't think they would bother me...but not going to take that bet...but otherwise going offshore and jumping in does not pose a problem to me...I might not spearfish and carry them bleeding fish around like I used to, that was dumb, but swim a wreck...clean the undersides of the boat...I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Then again once in awhile it makes you wonder when you see Big Butt sharks where they shouldn't be.
Face

Post by Face »

The funny thing about this story being sensationalized via the internet is all the people in my neck of the woods, facebooking, etc saying they'll never swim in the bay again. First off, the bay is connected to the ocean so of course sharks will be around from time to time. Secondly, many of these people just returned from summer vacations at Ocean City, OBX, Dewey beach etc. I'm pretty sure they spent some of that time swimming in the surf. It's more dangerous to drive to and from work than to swim in the Chesapeake.
-Joe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Just read a story in our local Rappahannock Record that said that there were actually two bulls caught in the area.
I remember them as a kid, not many but they were and still are there.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

i spend a lot of time IN the ocean and dont see sharks too often. however, i dont surf in the middle of schools of bait fish.
Buju

Post by Buju »

i spend a lot of time IN the ocean and dont see sharks too often.
It's the one you don't see that'll be a problem...

Was out on the reef yesterday, freediving for lobster and shooting hogsnapper with the hawaiian sling... I see a big hog working his way through a thick seafan forest, and he sees me- but doesn't think I see him.

So I casually ignore him and swim parallel to him to get further ahead of his direction of travel. I get about 50' in front, take a good breath and get on the bottom, swimming through the fans with the sling drawn. I see him coming, he's got no idea I'm there... his head pops out from behind a fan and I let the shaft fly. Gets him right through one eye, and the shaft goes right through his head and keeps going, so not a great shot. The hog does his injury dance then hightail's it to a low coral ledge with about a 10' recess under it.
When I dive down and look in, I can see him way in the back, and he's pumping out blood good. So I partially enter the "cave" and stick him again with the spear, but he's right against the rock wall, so the shaft can't penetrate enough for the barb to catch. Realizing I've got no other way to get him, I begin a series of dives, and begin digging the sand out from the front of the ledge to allow me to get in there. This takes awhile, and I'm very aware of how much blood this hog is putting into the water. I'm constantly scanning 360 degrees and anticipating trouble at some point. After about 10 minutes of hand shoveling sand, it's big enough to get in, so I resurface to catch a fresh breath, look around, and descend to get my trophy hog. On the way down I look 360 again, all clear , so I swim right in and grab the now dead hog, then I feel my fin is stuck. I look over my shoulder and there's a f*#ckin shark clamped on my fin!
There's not room to turn around in there, my lungs are screamin, and a agitated shark is blocking me in. I push off backward hard as I can, and come out of that ledge fast, which surprised the shark causing him to back off. When I get out there are two sharks (carib. reef) one is small about 4' and the other is full grown. Both are chummed up good. I begin my ascent to the boat and the big one makes a non-commital pass and poke him w/ the spear, and he keeps his distance. The little one is fired up though, and comes in several times, once I had to actually "punch" him... Anyways, made it to the boat, retained my hogsnapper, still have all digits and limbs. Could've been worse- glad he got my fin and not my leg.

Point with all this is that they materialize out of nowhere, and have a way of remaining unseen. If you see him, chances are he's not after you.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

not sure what else to say after having read all that... except very cool neato gee whiz awesome

Well something like that, you get the drift :)
randall

Post by randall »

having a good friend who was killed by a shark its always in the back of my mind. surfing alone at a river mouth in panama i only lasted an hour before i haired out.

i have never killed or even tasted shark...its a karma thing. mike once invited me to go shark fishing and when i declined he said....."it OK we'll only make them say uncle".

buju.....YIKES+!!!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Mark, holy shit, that is scary.

My dad was killed by a shark 37 years ago - don't do the same to your kids, I still miss him and he missed out on a ton of fun!

I guess you get caught in a moment, trying to solve a problem without looking at the bigger situation. Great to get a chance to adjust your protocol and put limits on your time in blood-filled water while spear fishing.

Keep your wits about you,

Cheers,

Rod
Buju

Post by Buju »

surfing alone at a river mouth in panama i only lasted an hour before i haired out.
I don't think I'd have had the cajoñes to even try that. Just seems sharky as hell. Not sure how the pacific side is though... on the caribbean side, forget it!
I guess you get caught in a moment, trying to solve a problem without looking at the bigger situation. Great to get a chance to adjust your protocol and put limits on your time in blood-filled water while spear fishing.
Not really Rod... I was looking at the whole picture the whole time. I knew the potential was there, and was expecting a visitor at some point. What was weird, and why I brought it up, was that I was really, really looking and checking my 6. Had nearly 100' of visibility, sun was high, etc. No sign of them whatsoever 45 seconds before he grabbed my fin. Came outta nowhere. Glad it was reef sharks as opposed to a bull or two, or my worst nightmare, a big tiger...
I have a issue w/ guys that shot a fish, and give up the minute it gets tough. Not saying that I've boated every fish I put a spear through, but I have tried to. There are also the guys who give the shark their catch every time there is an encounter... which leads to learned behavior and more sharks rushing divers, esp. the bulls, they're notorious for bullying divers to dumping the fish.
But yes, adjusting the protocol is good. Measured risk is ok. Macho reckless behavior is not my gig.

Sorry to learn of your Dad, what happened?
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Dad was a tourist, swimming in the evening in Alcapulco back in the days when even the big hotels dumped their garbage in the ocean. I don't think he was far offshore, he was very fit and a good swimmer, but he was in their environment. Don't know too much more than that, they did recover the body. Long time ago, I was 10.

It sounds like the sharks sort of stalked you and waited to pounce, I guess that's why they are a top predator. Scary. Take care!
randall

Post by randall »

rod...ive surfed there. i only surfed the morning . i figured everyone was full by then. there was an evening glass off every day but i skipped it.

i'm very sorry about your dad. my friend jim was an ab diver and got hit in the hip by a great white while doing an anchor check off santa cruz island. he tried to direct his own rescue but bled to death in the cockpit. he was a great guy and a great surfer as well as a trained hard hat diver who worked the north sea oil field.
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

Mikey wrote:Just read a story in our local Rappahannock Record that said that there were actually two bulls caught in the area.
I remember them as a kid, not many but they were and still are there.
mikey sorry im just now coming back to this but yes the next day a 6ft. bull was also caught in the net. No more sharks since then but they did just catch about 700lbs. of striper in one evening. haha