Black & Green Fishing Tourney Cabo November 2010

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Black & Green Fishing Tourney Cabo November 2010

Post by MarkS »

Most of you are aware from my previous postings here of the little bragging rights tourney I run down in Cabo in the fall. This is the one that John Cranston and his band of merry misfits along with Renegade Mike and his crew demolished the competition at last fall. It is time to stick my feelers out for others that might be interested.

We currently have about a dozen teams and I would like a to see 15 or more. The expenses are low and fun level is high. We like 4 man/women teams but if you want to fish by yourself or anything in between that is fine as well.

Doing some quick math estimates a 31 ft boat all inclusive at about $550-$600 divided by 4. Tips, bait and license at around $400 TOTAL per man for 2 days fishing. Entry fee is a whoooping $20 which goes toward charter crew cash incentive prizes to get there little spanish asses in high gear! The meager balance goes toward the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies those that place would receive. (basically an empty Dos Equis can with your name scribbled on it with magic marker)

We have the 2 off water events which are merely rules explained, fish devoured and alchohol consumed. These are pretty inexpensive affairs and for the most part a freeking grin a minute! Any of the faithful here are welcome I just need to add you to the list and get a commitment from you which would be something showing you chartered a boat for the dates below.

The dates are;

Captains meeting October 31st (Haloween bring your Helen Thomas mask)
Tourney November 1st & 2nd
Banquet November 3rd

This is planted right between the Bisbee Black & Blue and the Tuna Jackpot so as to maximise the potential for great fishing. I can help with charters if desired or you can line up your own I just need to know which company so I can touch base and get a copy of the rules to them.

If anyone wants a second opinion on just how much fun this thing is feel free to contact John Cranston, Knigfish SanDiego (Jim Cooke) or Daniel McKinney for their stamp of approval. It's just one more of the many ways around here to get to meet some of the nicest people on planet earth!

DQ? Captain Patrick? Wanna come play?

My drop dead cutoff date to join is September 15th so I can get all my ducks in a row.

Welcome to the puzzle factory.

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Guys, I can attest to how much fun this is. My wife (who’s out in the rain right now catching redfish off the dock) & I went for the first time last year with John & Pam. We had a blast. I had to talk my wife into it as she wasn’t keen on going to Mexico. The one thing she said she’d like to do was to catch a sailfish. The first day out was a beautiful bluebird day. We limited on Dorado, John caught a Wahoo, fishing was good but no billfish that day.

On the second day of fishing it was overcast, raining and a little bumpy, and wasn’t looking good for billfish but we wound up having a double hook up with both Laurie & Pam fighting sailfish together that morning. Made their trip, all the sudden none of the clouds, rain or waves made any difference at all. Limited out on Dorado again. Later in the day John & I had a double on striped marlin.

Renegade Mike was a alot of fun, if you get a chance fish with him.

Back in town it was a blast, got to meet MarkS & some of his pals from the travel website. Enjoyed the town & felt safe everywhere we went. Liked it so much we’re taking a bunch back with us this year. Running with John & Pam, my grown kids, & another couple of friends. Only stayed four days last year but this year we’re hanging out for the week.

Some of you guys ought to think about it. Great fishing, good eats, Halloween in some bar in Cabo. Naw, none of that’ll be fun.

Oh yea, taking first place in the tournament sure didn’t suck either. Who knows, it might get a little old after we do it again this year, but I bet it’ll still be ok.

Mark – Can’t tell you how much we’re looking forward to see you guys in Cabo again and filling up the ice chests with fish.

DanielM
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Daniel,
Getting to meet you, Lori and the Cranstons was my luxury for sure! A great time will be had by all again this fall!

Mark

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
coolair

Post by coolair »

can we make cranston fish with someone else? i think he an renegade mike cheated :)
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Matt,
Ya, How abouts you and I on a team together...that way we can keep an eye on each other...
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Coolair do you want to be associated with a cheater? I did see a 16' Bayliner tri-hull we could put him on!

Problem is he has golden horse shoe lodged up his ass and would have a fighting chance on a jet ski!

He's toast this year after I slip a banana in his pack and tell him its a new style of EPIRB!

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

What can I say? Luck of the Irish, I guess.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Mark,

Still waiting to see if possible to make the trip? Hell if I'm able to go, I'll make sure R. Mike & John C. don't cheat. LOL!

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
coolair

Post by coolair »

John, that sounds like a great idea! I wont tell if you dont!
one of those yellow pocket epirb huh??? i see how it is, dont worry i wont forget and i dont know if i would wish my worst enemy a day on a bayliner when you have so many nice Bertrams to fish on, but john on a jet ski would be pretty damn wild
Besides since i didnt catch a damn thing last trip with mike i am gonna make him find some fish
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Sure, stick the blind guy on a Bayliner, sporting a bag of bananas....What's next? the blind folded deaf person strapped to a Searay? Don't forget the chump on a wheel chair...How abouts shoveing himn on a Pro Sports in 3' seas....he'll probably lose that go round.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

John I never get even I always get ahead. When you fianlly make up here to Wisconsin for a little R&R weekend we will take a nice barefoot stroll across the yard.

Did I mention I have 2 dogs.............................

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Doug we would love to have you!!

coolair

Post by coolair »

now thats real shity mark :)
dont worry john i wont let him put you on a bayliner
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Matt does that mean you will be attending?

coolair

Post by coolair »

Mark
At this point I dont know if we can come our not. Just gonna have to play it by ear.
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

If you can swing it we would love to have you! There is nothing more enjoyable to watch than John Cranston's wife trying to pull him off the bar as he is doing his victory strip tease!

God bless the woman she got him down before he shed his drawers but we still cheered him on like he was one of the "Chippendales!"

-M

JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Come on, Mark! You were the guy in the croud saying..."I want to see his weiner"..."Just let me see his weiner".
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

ROFLMAO!!

Naw that was that fraile Pangero with all the earrings.................

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

The fishing is improving and the stripey's are starting to show up in bigger numbers. Courtesy Dreamweaver Sportfishing/Bloodydecks.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really nice day in Cabo -smooth seas, great weather and really good fishing. The fishing has been fantastic for the past couple weeks. Today we had 4 Stripped Marlin and this nice Sailfish. Two of the Marlin were caught trolling naked Ballyhoo and two caught pitching live Caballito's. The Sailfish also hit a trolled Ballyhoo. The Marlin, Dorado and Tuna are spread out all over. Two days ago a 250+ pound Yellow Fin Tuna was caught.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One other thing for those attending and those considering. We are going to have a couple of mornings after the tourney where a number of the folks are going to have a little shore fishing contest. Should be some Roosters, some sierra, maybe a wahoo or two and some other misc yellowtail in the surf on the Pacific side. Pack your shore casting gear and some thing to set your bloody mary on and get in the game................

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

A couple more things as this draws closer, Redrum has 2 boats left open, a 32 Crystaliner and a 28 Californian, Dreamweaver has a 32 Blackfin, and Pisces has a number if B31s available. These are charter companies that have or or are currently supporting our little event so we like to return the favor! Also for those interested there are shirts available. The deadline for ordering them is September 1st.

2010 Fishing Tournament T-shirt Order Form
# 1 7oz Short Sleeve “Champion” T-shirt s, m, l, xl, 2xl, 3xl $19.50

# 2 5.2oz Long Sleeve “Champion” T-shirt s, m, l, xl, 2xl $24.75

# 3 6oz “Jerzees” Polo Shirt s, m, l, xl, 2xl, 3xl $18.50

# 4 6.1oz Men’s “Comfort Color” Tank Top s, m, l, xl, 2xl $18.75

# 5 6.1oz Ladies Short Sleeve “Gildan” T-shirt xs, s, m, l, xl, 2xl, 3xl $16.00
Sized for adult women

# 6 5.4oz Ladies Long Sleeve “Comfort Colors” T-shirt s, m, l, xl, 2xl $23.25

# 7 Ladies V-neck Short Sleeve “LAT” T-shirt s, m, l, xl, 2xl $17.00
Junior sizing

# 8 5.4 oz Ladies “Anvil” Tank Top s, m, l, xl $17.00

# 9 15” x 13” Natural Tote with green handles $15.75

All shirts are white with the large logo on the back. Small design will be on the left front.

Item # Description Size Quantity Price Total Price

My donation for the Cabo children's charities because I cannot attend the tourney: ___________
Total enclosed: __________
Please mail with check made out to Cathy Berk by September 1, 2010.
Cathy Berk
3102 I Ave
Anacortes, WA 98221
Last edited by MarkS on Aug 3rd, '10, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Mark, there is a website called Mexico-Offshore.com for East & West coast areas of Mexico which is a sister site to Florida-Offshore.com & Texas-Offshore.com & Louisiana-Offshore.com that you can get the best and most accurate fishing data.

To see whats happening offshore in Cabo. Use it its free, you cannot beat the info. because it is GIS mapped, just like the other sites. It just came on line recently, so check it out. These sites are also available on the East coast of the USA also.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Thanks Doug, that is a great site! Already found a cool video of a tow cam of fish following and striking the lure that i've never seen before.

http://vimeo.com/4623623

How are you looking for Cabo this fall?

-M

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Just wanted to bump this up as the deadline to enter is the 15th of September. Currently there are 11 boats in the dance and some 50 plus folks that come just to watch, enjoy the off water events, bid on auction items, drink, fall down, and wake up with a headache. This puts a total current participation at around 90 souls.

The charity portion of the event has been a thing of beauty as well. There are going to be resort stays, dining certificates, spa certificates, merchandise certificates, oddities from around the globe, clothing, fishing tackle, fishing charters, live performance certificates (sorry I can't really elaborate on that one) and number of other things that we will be auctioning off at the banquet to raise some money for the local Cabo kids.

if anyone has any questions or is interested in tagging along I can help with boat charters, cheap digs, transportation, or any other questions that one may have.

All the best,
Mark

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

If it wasn't for the mysterious neck problem I've had for the past year and a half my wife and I would have been there for 2009 & 2010.

If you like to drink, eat great food, drink oh and catch fish this is for you!

Not to mention the good friends you'll make.

Have a great tourny Mark!!
Jim
1975 28 FBC
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Jim I saw you put your boat on the swap sell board! I will take a knee and shed a tear my friend, your neck must be really bad!

A sad day indeed. Get better amigo we need to fish together some more....

Mark

By the way that is one awesome looking 28 my friend!

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I just returned from a pre tournament get all the soldiers in a row trip to Cabo and had to put in 4 days of fishing while I was there. 1 Day travel 4 days on the boat, late afternoons and evening spent tying up loose ends, banquet, captains meeting, begging for auction items and the like, one day spent traveling home.

We went with three differnt charter companies and what a great 4 days. bumped my Marlin total up by 2 and added my first sail to the mix. 1 of my 2 traveling buddies put a 150 yellowfin in the boat as well! with the Dorado we caught we ended up bringing back 3 full coolers 46# 47# and 49.5 #. It has been a ahi party at my house on a regular basis ever since.

On a tournament related note I have three boats that are short a player or two so I could still slide another in under the wire if anyone wants to come and play. The fishing is getting better by the day and big tuna, lots of stripey's and even a blue or black may be lurking as we lost a decent blue on day one.

Here is the report I put on some other offshore sites.

=============================================

In preparing for the 4th Annual Trip Advisor Black & Green Fishing Tournament in Cabo San Lucas the first part of November, myself and my co-organizer in a blatant act of complete selflessness, realized we had unfinished tournament business to take care of so we were forced to make an early trip down.

Holy shit we had a good time! It was nothing short of awesome!

Started the first day with Renegade Mike. He is always a good time and we had him share the boat with us which in my opinion is always the way to go if he will come. He teaches while we fish and is never dull. He asked me out of the gate if we wanted to make a long trek to were he thought we would have a great shot at some Tuna. He knew It was a high priority for the day and of course I said lets do it. He had been pumping folks for info and found where some schools of porpoise had been lurking the gorda and the Iman, the plan was on!

So we left a little early and headed to the outer Gorda with intention of tuna. We came accross some porpoise and some crashing tuna east of 1150 spot and turned into them ahead of our plan. But after running with them for quite some time we had only 1 striped Marlin one lost Blue Marlin and a Dorado to show for it. At the mid point in the day we decide to work a little tighter to shore and allthough we never did find the cooperative tuna we ended up with another Marlin and 4 more Dorado.

Lots of time spent getting there and coming back but Mike is always willing to go the extra mile and I am always fortunate to fish with him. The crew is always great and Christian is fun mate to be around as well! 2 Marlin and 5 Doardo is a Darn good day by any standards!

Next two days were spent with Redrum aboard the newly refit 31 Bertram "Redrum." This is one fast 31! Cruise is at 28 and wide open is yet to be determined but at one point we were at 38 just to see what she had! Those Cummins were singing! The new crew is Captain Omar and mate Americo. These guys I have fished with many times and they have never disappointed me. We talked about a plan for the massive schools of Tuna we ran through the day before so we loaded up on flying fish looking baits and made another long run to see if these fish were to be had!

John Donovan owner of Redrum and long time friend came along with us to help put Redrum through the paces on her second trip and get me cerveza when I got thirsty. He is going to make a good wife for somebody some day! We flew down to the outer Gorda and again came into schools of porpise and crashing tuna but as soon as we moved in the tuna would sink away and all we were left with was the spinner porpoise show!

In the end we managed a pile of dorado but a great boat ride and a fun shakedown of that boat. That charter is going to offer people a quick zip to most Cabo hot spots with the balance of the similar size Cabo fleet smelling diesel fumes.

Day three we decide to try some Pacific action. The long rides to Gorda and Iman banks, with what all involved considered to be sub par outcomes were not going to haunt us for three days in a row. Little did we know it would be a similar out come with a different view. We started out in sort of a Jamie bank direction but after the strong wind pushed us all day it was closer to the 95 spot than Jamie. We again found massive schools of porpoise maybe the biggest of the entire 4 days. We threw the kitchen sink at them but couldn't get the Tuna to go. We managed another marlin, one schoolie size tuna and a fist full of dorado so all in all a great 2 days with Redrum. Thanks PJ!

Day 4 took us to Ramon and Fernando aboard Dreamweaver. I ran into Fernando the day before and he told me they were having some engine trouble but thought they would be ready by the morning. When we arrived the Dreamweaver was rumbling and lit up ready to go. Apparently Ramon had cracked a piston the day before on his newly rebuilt engines and the warranty mechanic was down under the dog house with wrenches just a flying! 24 hours and all set to go! The boat performed flawlessly and so did the crew. Early in the trip we got into our first Marlin. Then we followed up with a Sailfish and then another Marlin, sprinkle in a dorado or two and then we hit the jack pot! We were motoring through what I figured was the same school of porpoise we had been through endlessley the first two days when the starboard short rigger went smack zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Tunie baby! Rougly 2 hours later my friend landed a 150lb yellowfin tuna! Frenando put the gaff to it and Ramon flew down from the bridge and sunk another! They hauled it over the side of the boat and my amigo hit the floor exhausted.

Another great Cabo trip in the books with first rate charter companies I would recommend to anyone in a second.

Sorry about this pic i can't figure out how to resize it? But you get the idea.