Anyone want to look at a boat for me- boat is in Onset MA

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

colbachlaw

Anyone want to look at a boat for me- boat is in Onset MA

Post by colbachlaw »

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile, but this is my first post.

I am going to buy a 35' Bertram this winter and I am really interested in one in Onset, MA http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boat ... earchtype=

I am in Portland, OR, so it is tough for me to take a look at it.

Anyone nearby willing to take a look at it for me (for a fair price of course)?

Anyone have a referral for a surveyor nearby?

Thanks,

Mike C
e-mail mike@colbachlaw.com
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Go on over to the 31 Bertram site or the 33 bertram website. There are a bunch of guys from MA. Maybe one of them will take a look. Plus they may know what they are looking at!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Holy Cow man this is the 31 site. I guess you can tell it's been a long day.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mike

Call me ASAP, as I am in MA now and will be able to take a look at it for you.. I already own a B33 FBC, and will be fairly close to Onset this coming weekend.

Cell number is 508-878-0987.. I usually get all my calls immediately but on occasion I am in a location where the cell service disappears.. if I don't answer leave a msg and I will call you back.

BTW: The Bertram 33 forum (www.Bertram33.com) has a section started recently fro Bertram 35's.. drop in and take a look around.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Mike:

I live only a few miles from there. Let me know if I can be any help.

Scott Traenkle
work (508) 993-5100 ext 216
home (508) 748-2973
Scott Traenkle
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Mike: Check for a PM I sent to you yesterday. If it isn't there, I can post it here. Leigh
colbachlaw

Post by colbachlaw »

Thanks for all the offers of help.

I found a surveyor with a fair amount of bertram experience who is 15 minutes away and is going to take a look at it for me this week sometime.

Anyone have any good refererrals for cross country shipping?

Thanks,

Mike
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

My brother in law runs Marblehead Traders trucking. My cousin is one of his drivers. They are located in Marblehead, MA. They run boats all over the country.

tel: 781-631-4650
Regards,

Doug L.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Mike don't want to throw cold water on this deal; but I doubt the boat is really a 1981. In 1981 the Mark II came out with the command flybridge; seating for four in from of the helm seats. While the pics of the bridge don't show enough it sure does not look like the bigger bridge. On my boat the flybridge covers almost all the "eyebrow". Just make sure you get the hull number before you send in a surveyor. You don't want to expect a Mark II and get the older style.
Now for the pluses. The rear cockpit is a Glasstec and that is a real plus, the salon doors have been re-done. Probably because of rear bulkhead rot; but the job looks great. They have torn out the entire salon and I like what they have done. All you may want to do is add a microwave and or small convection oven; or even a cook top. Those new portable convection oven do everything from make toast to bake a cake. There is no mention of AC or heat and a bimini top and three side enclosure is going to run close to 7 grand or more.
The asking price does look good if the tank replacement is E10 ready.
Good luck on getting another Bertram to the left coast.
Charlie
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

What constitutes a E10 or any E rating?

Keep Smilin
R Cahoon

Post by R Cahoon »

I agree that this is not a 1981, this is the older version prior to the Mark II model.
By the way the boat is no longer in Onset,MA.

Keep Smilin
colbachlaw

Post by colbachlaw »

Thanks for all the info guys.

I am really debating this boat or another one that is $30K cheaper, has a hardtop and outriggers, but deck rot and the factory glass tank.

Anyone have a ballpark figure for deck, tank, salon door replacement?

I called glass tech and the person who answered the phone did not know and I have yet to hear back from the person who did.

I like the idea of spending less $$ up front, but boat repair costs can get ugly in a hurry and I have zero mechanical skills, so I will be paying someone to do all the work on whatever I buy.

Thanks again,

Mike C
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Sounds like you might save 5K after all the repairs. Best to have someone look at the higher priced boat and get a list of things that are wrong. Regardless of the list you need to establish a budget. Plan on spending 75% of that and save 25% for overage. If all surveyed as well as this boat looked at first blush I'd guess your in for another 100-115K to get close to perfect. You gotta figure 75-80K for engines and gears installed. You'll need a minimum of 370 hp to cruise at 25kts. You want a gen set add another 10K installed. Bottom job, steering repair, hard top and electronics and you'll be right there.

Good Luck.

My project I'd find one with fresh engines and work forward, I prefer the construction phase over destruction.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Mike I have no idea what the cost would be by hiring proffessional help. I priced a glassteck deck for a 35B about 6 years ago. Right around $5,000 dollars plus shipping. You can probably take the cost and double it to have a yard do the job. I have seen some real nice plywood/fiberglass by DIY'ers. The cost for an aluminum tank is probably in the $1000-$2000 dollar and another $2000 dollars for a yard to remove the old tank dispose of the fuel and tank, hazardous waste you know, and install the new one. I do know of a guy who got a bill for $6000 to replace a 28Bertram tank. I don't think he paid the full amount.
Bottom line is you need to do as much as you can yourself and pray for good friends to help. I know I have spend lots of time helping other Bertram owners and I also get lots of help when I need it. Bringing an old girl back is labor intensive and costly no matter how you try to slice the pie.
Good luck
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Mike,

I've got a '72 B35 and am doing the fix as I go method. If you don't have to go that route then you'd be the better for it. So I'd look for a boat in the best shape that I could afford. Sometimes heavily modified boats are covering up problems or not that great of quality and IMHO, the more original the better.

So I'd make a list of the "Must have" items and look for a boat with the newest motors and best shape in my price range. Keeping in mind that gas boats are only worth about half of what the same boat as a diesel is worth and converting from gas to diesel is not for the faint of heart.

I think Charlie's about right on the prices he gave you, but keep in mind you don't have to replace or fix it unless it's broke.

Here's a link to one that's been for sale and has had some nice work done to her.
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73699

br,
JohnD
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mike,

I have a 35' that is for sale. Here's the Yacht World link. If you have any interest let me know directly. Thanks!

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... earchtype=