Braze that can take salt water

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Braze that can take salt water

Post by gplume »

On my old 504s (V8 cummins), i have a copper tube that recently corroded through that takes raw water from my engine heat exchanger over to the right side of engine to a hose that runs to the exhaust riser for cooling. I was going to fab somthing up out of copper tubing, but need to make a 90 degree bend once I hit the right side of my engine. Any suggestions on a braze material for copper that can withstand saltwater. Thinking of just brazing in a 90 degree elbow.
Giff
frank price

Post by frank price »

You can tig weld copper using either strips of copper or silicon bronze rod. It welds well and makes a strong joint. Can't remember if you use AC or Dc but it's not hard to figure out. My second choice would be really good silver solder if you have to use a torch.
Frank
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Most brazing material is brass alloy, something you don't want to use...

Use a high silver content soldering rod, minimum 50% silver.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEtUJQuK-z8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WEtUJQuK-z8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Go over to your local heat exchanger repair place and buy a foot or so of silver solder so you don't have to buy a whole roll. Its low temp melting and use a good compatable flux. I use a liquid most of the time, many like paste.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks all for the great inputs.....I'm on it.
Giff