The Dip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

The Dip

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its going on in the dip. Many eyes 200-300 today. Bites on.
randall

Post by randall »

figures...pretty dead when mike and i were there. have fun!!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brewster as you probaly know anthony vacarro hit a whale at 50mph in the brand new contender. i don`t know the extend of his physical damage but i will find out . as you know he owns white water marine .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I'm planning on heading out Wednesday afternoon, hope I'm not to late.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

He hit a whale. Boat took on water all the way home. I saw it in the lift. $$$$$
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I feel sorrier for the whale. I guess I've had too many years on the water to feel that going 50 mph in a Contender far offshore was a smart thing to do.
Russ

Post by Russ »

aaa
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Just did a over nighter there Tuesday - Wednesday lots of life.
Whales Bait and Fish we had a 3 line knock down drop one. So two yellow around 60 & 70 lbs. Night bite was just one Mako that bite trough the leader. Did not get out into the deeper water as I was told too just didn't want to leave fish to find fish plus was having plotter issue had to do Lat & long on a chart for Tuesday afternoon but fix it in the A.M. The A.M was lots of life again with most fish down around 150' just a matter of time to come up. Then the report Big storm rolling through so do we stay or go, decided to go for the Barn the fish will be there again for us Sissie's!

Good luck to all that are going should be good fishing Catch them up.
Yeah as said and Brewster told me BE Careful easy to hit something.

Anthony was out there Tuesday and again Wednesday and so was his Dad on Wednesday. Must have got a left over boat to use!

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I have been reading on various sites that the bluefin bite is a live and well --jigging is your best bet---but have not been able to get actual location of the fleet---southeast -southwest of the compass rose
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Pics please Pics.....................we wanna see the catch!
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

We ran to the elbow at Hudson canyon instead of the dip. Lots of life like Dan said. Took a bunch of 60lb yellow fin on the chunk around 1:30am, contrary to what we were told. Hit a few on the troll in the morning but not the early morning blitz we were expecting. Glad we were out there for the chunk. All the fish were taken on squid
Sorry no pictures but anyone in the vicinity of Hemlock Cove Long Island this weekend are welcome to stop by for a little black and blue Yellow Fin courtesy of HILO.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

wednesday out at 5am 43 miles from fire island inlet ;one bluefin 85lbs and one yellowfin 40lbs. back at the dock by 1pm.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

bob...you are the short run champ!!.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall i don`t understand it ,not one bit . the bottom machine shows
" flatlining" not one piece of structure in the middle of no where . when do you ever troll bluefin/ yellowfin that close to each other in same temp. water.??? i am not positive but what look like schools of school bluefish maybe 2 lbs or less were jumping out of the water possibly chasing baitfish or they were running from the tuna . only 190' of water.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I have seen huge schools of 40 to 60 pound bulefin in 160' of water while shark fishing. Could never get them to eat.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike do you remember the tail end of the summer fishing last year ??
large 200-300 lbs bluefin tuna 1/2 mile off ocean beach fire island . would not take anything artificial and line shy . you would see them bass fishing early morning no boat traffic . i guess they come in for the bluefish.fire island inlet has been mobbed with bluefish 2-4 lbs then 5-10 and right in the inlet huge 12 to 15 lbs blues that the party boats use to keep the fares happy. these blues stay with us and tuna will come before migrating south.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Joseph Fikentscher

I have seen huge schools of 40 to 60 pound bulefin in 160' o

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

We used to slow down to a crawl and jig with Clark or Drone spoons just as we would for stripers at Shrewsbury Rocks. Hard work but we would get fish. Got ahead of the school and dropped the lures righth back into them.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good idea we never try that last year however this year we will just watch them. they are all way over the limit sizewise , most were over 6' and if you shut down motors ahead of the pack you could see them very clearly along side the boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Was dead today.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

5 tuna total one blue 85 and four yellow around 50lbs. pictures from cell phone not good. all tuna jig about 5' off bottom. ran into 6' waves on the back aided by wind.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Face

Re: I have seen huge schools of 40 to 60 pound bulefin in 16

Post by Face »

Joseph Fikentscher wrote:We used to slow down to a crawl and jig with Clark or Drone spoons just as we would for stripers at Shrewsbury Rocks. Hard work but we would get fish. Got ahead of the school and dropped the lures righth back into them.
Sorry for the highjack, but, jigging clark or drone spoons? I troll these for Spanish Mackerel but I can't imagine jigging them. Do you mean like vertical jigging? I'm surprised you wouldn't use something with a little more weight, like a stingsilver, deadly dick, etc. What depth are we talking?
-Joe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

face this is vertical jigging . while trolling you may mark with good sonar mark the spot and then start jigging . i could post a picture of the jig if you need it . about 16 oz. shaped like a baitfish with white sugical tube just above hook. some green paint on head.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Face

Post by Face »

bob lico wrote:face this is vertical jigging . while trolling you may mark with good sonar mark the spot and then start jigging . i could post a picture of the jig if you need it . about 16 oz. shaped like a baitfish with white sugical tube just above hook. some green paint on head.
Bob, I've vertical jigged many times. My question was specifically about "jigging" with clark or drone spoons which have almost no weight to them. These are trolling spoons, not jigging spoons.
-Joe
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Actually, Put on an 8oz trolling weight to get the spoon under the surface. While trolling at bluefish speed, drop the spoon back into the school and jig. This always oroduced a few strikes. Must have patience and strong arms.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

either way it is a long way down (60 fathoms) so the 16 oz jig gets there and does the job on the way up from 5' off bottom.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Face

Post by Face »

Thanks for the response Joseph. Interesting way to jig. Sending you a pm.
-Joe
Face

Post by Face »

And Bob the depth was my point. A clark or drone spoon would never flutter all the way down for 60 fathoms. The drone is my all time favorite lure for catching spanish, cero and king mackerel. I'm not very impressed with the little clarks but I do like their "Squid spoon" for bluefish.

I digress (and highjack, sorry). Very envious of your Tuna fishing up North.