Houston area marina

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ACline

Houston area marina

Post by ACline »

Well they transfered me from New Orleans to Houston and I need to move my boat from Venice to this area. Anyone around the Houston area have some guidance on the best marina for an offshore boat (37' Topaz). I would like to be closer to the fishing to shorten the run. Now I just have to see what the fishing is like here compared to Venice :) Thanks Andy
Andy Cline
Tom

Post by Tom »

Andy, you have two location options. Either Galveston or Freeport. Both are roughly an hour from downtown Htown. Galveston Yacht Basin is closest to the jetties and the best facility in Galveston. They have lifts and wet slips, fuel, ice, bait, showers, etc.. Lots of amenities in Galveston such as food, lodging, etc..

Freeport has less amenities and more industrial but is closer to fishing. Think Venice with chain hotels and fast food not far from the marinas. Bridge harbor is the biggest. Also Oyster Creek, and two drystack facilities on the ICW. Email Lil Bert. He keeps his 28 at Bridge Harbor and can help you with those marinas there.

Alternatively, find a place in Tiki Island and keep the boat behind the house. 40 minutes or less into downtown and you're 12 miles from the tip of the Galveston jetties. Prices are as low as they've been in 8 or 9 years. Fishing sucks compared to Venice. Less fish, longer runs generally, more pressure. But, you get used to it and it beats living inland.-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
scot

Post by scot »

Now I just have to see what the fishing is like here compared to Venice
Sorry about that one, but it ain't even close. We have our days but not in the catagory of Venice. Most Texans that really love to fish go to Venice for the serious fishing! I'm sure you have spotted Texas boats in the Venice area more than once. Sorry to say but you are leaving the best fishing on the Gulf coast, everywhere else will be a distant second place.

You can find good water/fish out of Texas but the runs are really long. In most cases if you are after billfish, expect a 90-110 mile run, a bit less out of Freeport as Tom noted. At least you have the boat for it. Of course, ling, triple tail, etc are available for a 20-40 mile run, snapper a bit further.

Tom nailed it on the marina/slip options. I would add the Clear Lake area (really nice eating and lodging facilities, floating piers, high end marinas, etc) but you did state that you want to be close to the fish. That area adds another 30+ miles to your run. Some guys will berth in Clear Lake and top off in Galveston before they leave the jetties. But I will say the Clear Lake area is considered a really safe place during hurricane season.

Either way, you will not be heading out for a quick "home by noon" trip and finding tuna or billfish!

Aside from the fishing, everything else is good, the food will agree with you. Plus you will find a huge LSU following in the Houston area to make you feel right at home.

Welcome to Texas.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey Andy,

I have to agree with Scot & Tom on that. But check out Texas-Offshore.com for any satellite data or whats happening fishing in those area's over there.

They are a sister site to one here in Florida. They have the best data of anything available out there bar none. They are GIS mapped site and membership is free to join. Check it out you'll like it. You can PM Capt Dan on the site and tell him that Capt Doug from the Florida-Offshore.com site told you to get with him about the site. Good Luck fishing over there.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!