at anchor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mike Moran

at anchor

Post by Mike Moran »

I have a problem every time I anchor for example I was at shelter island this wekend and anchored in a grroup of boats our boat was the only boat that was at at a constant swing back and forth I have a express 31 with chain and rope line the boat has a half tower I have many boats but never this problem any help would be great thanks . Iam still dizzy from the swing. wind was about 5 to 10 mph. still had a great time. help
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mike-out of curiosity, how deep was the water you were anchored in, and about how much rope did you have out?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Bertrams really sail back and forth a lot on the hook or mooring. That is because they have low cockpit sides aft and a the house further forward which catches the wind. The only solution I know of is to take the anchor line aft so you hang stern to, but do that only in moderate conditions, Other than that just be sure to give yourself plenty of room. The deep V hull will also swing in the current during times of calm before other shallower hulls.

The Bertram manner of catching the breeze along with the deep V which is taken by the current has made me wonder if these characteristics don't contribute in some small way to their reputation for raising fish? That is to say that the way the boat drifts in the curent and wind might be a fishing bonus?

Peter
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

Walter the water was about 15 feet deep about 35 to 40 feet of line.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You should try a lobster pot in 100 fathoms in 3-5 foot seas with west current and a SW wind at 15 gusts to 20. Thats swinging. Mine swings as bab as it gets. Makes my slick wider when chunking for tuna all nite.
RussP

Post by RussP »

We have a 31 and a 25 both bob and weave at anchor. I figure it's the deep V hull doing it's thing. We now use a Bahama rig. We rig our anchor between the bow and quarter cleat to keep the boat on a slight angle to the wind and she rests pretty even.
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Russ, Good tip will give it a try...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

thanks Russ sounds good thanks
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I think it is as much current as wind, have you ever noticed how the hull tends to "hunt" at displacement speeds? In no wake zones, she's all over the map, so I think at anchor, heading into the current, she does the same "hunting" and bobs and weaves like Sugar Ray! Russ' solution works beautifully, although it can get a little loud with waves slapping on the hull.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Mike,
Having lived on the hook for a couple of years I can give you a few suggestions. First 40 feet of line in fifteen feet of water is not enough unless it is very calm and you're there just for lunch. Your safe "scope" (the ratio of anchor line to the depth should be at least 7 - 1, but for safety over night I do ten to one. Remember when you check the depth of the water to add five feet for the height of the boat out of the water. Now you've got a fairly safe ratio. Also if you are in an area of great tides that at low tide your scope may be sufficient but at high tide it will change significantly.
This does not answer the wallowing. As Peter suggests this is due to the amount of boat above the water line and the fact that so much is forward. To prevent (or at least minimize it) use two anchors. This is a technique that takes some practice. Get a copy of Chapmans "Seamanship and Small-boat handling", there is a great chapter on this.
Anchoring like chess is an art learned over a lifetime. I can teach you the moves in minutes but practice and experience are the keys.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Or bridle the anchor line back to the spring cleats. It is similar to what Russ suggested, but puts the pull equally to the two midships cleats. It helps to keep the bow pointed right into the wind by equalizing the pull on each side.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

thanks Russ great idea thanks
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

The above reasons for B31s swinging at anchor are the same reason lobstermen in New England use steadying sails. The house is way forward with a long. fairly low, empty cockpit. They need stability when they are hauling pots, so they "weather cock" their boats so they point into the wind, and the steadying sail keeps the boat pointing upwind and steady.

Now who will be the first to put a steadying sail on a B31?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

not really true I have had three lobster boats stanley bruno nauset 35 to 36 ft when on anchor never moved 30 mph. no problem full keel no movement 10 degrees + or - Russ got it right. I did not have sail on the lobster boats. most of those boats had small keels or none salty Mike
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

RussP wrote:We rig our anchor between the bow and quarter cleat to keep the boat on a slight angle to the wind and she rests pretty even.
RussP
To do this would you run a line from your quarter cleat to the bow (anchor) line?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mike...

I was refrerring to the lobster boats while working and hauling pots, not at anchor. In MA where I used to live about 1/3 of them had steadying sails, as well as a bunch of trawler yachts.. I am sure different areas have different traditions as far as how the working guys operate, and with what gear.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!