bluefin tuna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

bluefin tuna

Post by bob lico »

i went out today mainly to start to teach grandson the real reason to own a 31 bertram . he will be the owner someday , the boat is his name .
nailed a nice 128lbs bluefin about 46miles out trolling greenmachines .will attemped to make tuna salad with a piece just to learn.if anyone knows a recipe i would appreciate it.i know had to boil water and add lemon but the rest is not clear.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

When my mother was alive, she used to take the tuna steak and steam it, not boil it. She would set a colander in a pot with some water in it. Boil the water, put the steak in the colander and cover it. Don't rememver how long, but it should be easy to tell. It needs to flake and be white.

Then it's a matter of choice. A little garlic and or onion powder. Chop up some celery if you like, oniion then your call, mayo or olive oil. Nothing like fresh tuna salad.

Let your imagination run wild. You can make it simple or get fancy.

I am sure Brew has a few recipes he can share.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

No boil. Steam it. Then cool and mix with mayo and creamcheese. celery and chives. A little pepper and thats it.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

round here there is a place that makes it with a little soy, wasabi, ginger and breifly shown the coals on each side, you know just so they get to know each other for a second....................

mmmmmmmmm
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice looking fish Bob...I'm sure he'll remember that for many years to come.
Carl
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Steam a few steaks (not too thick), let cool and break up. Chop up some celery and onion fairly fine and in equal amounts. Mix together adding a spoon of Mayonnaise at a time until you get the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate overnight. Tastes better the next day but its hard to wait, so you'll probably eat some right away.
To me, the Green machines are the best all-around lure ever made for offshore. Good fish!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

How long was that fish bob?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp it must have been 59"
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mike Moran

post subject

Post by Mike Moran »

Bob be careful lifting all that weight you might get bulge where you don't want it .'
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike i minds well both knees are gone!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If you say its 59" I believe you. Be careful out there, its an expensive ticket for the boat owner and a real black eye for the Capt on a whole bunch of levels.

As a general "Cause I care" FYI here's the updated rules and a general length to weight chart for Atlantic Bluefins Weights and lenghts of fish we have caught in the MRMTC are within a few pounds of these when I looked through our catches in the last couple years tournaments so I trust the info. We don't see major changes in weight for the Atlantic Bluefins in our waters until Oct/Nov when the fish have packed on the pounds from gorging for 4 months ENJOY;

UPDATE TO RECREATIONAL BFT RETENTION LIMITS
NMFS announces the following three actions regarding the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) Angling category fishery: STARTING ON SATURDAY JUNE 12TH (1) adjustment of the daily retention limit for private vessels to one school or large school BFT (measuring 27 to less than 59 inches) per vessel per day/trip and for charter vessels to one school BFT (measuring 27 to less than 47 inches) and one large school BFT (measuring 47 to less than 59 inches) per vessel per day/trip, for the remainder of the 2010 fishing year, (2) closure of the southern area large medium/giant “trophy” BFT fishery (for BFT measuring 73 inches and greater), and (3) transfer of 1.7 mt from the Reserve to the northern area trophy category subquota. The Angling category North/South line is at 39°18’ N. lat. (off Great Egg Inlet, NJ). These adjustments are intended to provide a reasonable opportunity to harvest the U.S. landings quota of BFT without exceeding it, while maintaining an equitable distribution of fishing opportunities; to help achieve optimum yield in the BFT fishery, to collect a broad range of data for stock monitoring purposes; and to be consistent with the objectives of the Consolidated Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Fishery Management Plan (2006 Consolidated HMS FMP)
A chart for determining the weight of local* bluefin tuna
if a given length is known.

curved fork length(in.) curved fork length(cm) whole weight (lbs)

48.2 122.5 65.1
49.2 125 69.3
50.2 127.5 73.6
51.2 130 78.3
52.2 132.5 83.3
53.1 135 88.6
54.1 137.5 94.2
55.1 140 100.2
56.1 142.5 106.5
57.1 145 113.3
58.1 147.5 120.5
59.1 150 128.1
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you jp never saw that lenth/weight chart before.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

very nice fish bob!!!....we went twice as far and got fish half the size.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

randall i cannot begin to explain . four times in a row we leave fire island and run 30 knots to this area . i have the tracking on my machine and follow the same path trolling at 8kns . i never troll that fast before ,there is no bottom structure and only 1 degree temp. change in 33 to 35 fathoms.i do everything wrong just for the hell of it.3 green machine spreader bars are set way back off short riggers and one off chair. bring daisy chains and smokers in closer-----bam - four times in a row .this 128 pounder had a empty stomach so cannot tell whats going on .no marking under the boat whatsoever.last time 4 yellowfin/6 mahi and no weed line or any other reason mahi should be in the middle of nowhere. whales were in the area but nothing else!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

what ever works!!!

it was completely dead and then out of nowhere it lights up. it would be nice to run out 45 instead of 85.
Ric

Post by Ric »

any fish between 58 and 73 is not to be kept by anybody in the general category,, head boat and recreational /sportsman,,,fish under 58 can be kept,, and of course 73 and over,,use to be able to keep one fish a year 73 and over by recreational/sportsman but not for sale ,,now ,,no can do
thtas my understanding of it ,,these changes are very recent,,,,,the penaltys are rather harsh,,,,,,, do i have the new changes right? because that fish looks like a not to be taken fish,,,,,,,hello
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

You have it right Ric, that fish lost about 20lbs since the original post so it could "fit" the weight/length guidelines I posted.

Hope it doesn't happen again be a shame for the grandkids to see pop pop's big fancy boat chained to the dock with a federal sticker on the door.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"