Balsa Alternative

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ianupton

Balsa Alternative

Post by ianupton »

In my Bertram 20 project, the transom as seen below had the following layup:

The center 'pie' was two layers of plywood. This is a flat panel and will be replaced with Coosa Blue water 26.

The outer two section were cored with 3/4" Balsa with a layer of glass in between.

The outer two sections have some camber to them so it's not a flat panel.

I have some T400 Corecell that seems it would take the bend nicely. Alternatively, I can cut the Coosa into 4"X4" squares and tile them in as shown here.

If the T400 Core Cell is not dense enough, my options would be to get a higher density foam that is single or double cut or go the "Coosa Tile" route. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Thanks in advance,

Ian.
coolair

Post by coolair »

I am no expert, but if you look at some other post by Cap.t Pat
coosa has some that is scored already
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

When we reinforced the opening around the blower on the funny car, we used divincel attached to unresined fiberglass. The divinicel was cut into 1/2 squares.

This allowed the material to take most any shape or angle I needed to follow. It was attached using thickened resin, the cracks were filled to add strength and then 3 layers of glass over that.

Before when lifting the body, it wanted to fold at the blower opening. After, it was solid and blended nicely.
RussP

Post by RussP »

KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Thanks everyone. I tried to get the Coosa to take the small contour. Seems to fine with a little clamp pressure.

The transom already has a bunch of holes that will need to be faired out, so I thinking what's a couple more.

Planning on through bolt route like I did here.

Ian.