making Y-pipe

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

making Y-pipe

Post by Rocky »

I want to move my exhaust now, to outside of outboard stringers. Can I make a Y-pipe out of straight fiberglass tubing with "fishmouth" cuts at joints and epoxy-glass them together? I thought I read somewere here of that being done? Thanks
RussP

Post by RussP »

Yes, but never use epoxy on a exhaust tube. Use polyester as epoxy does not like the heat.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Russ, I was thinking of the joint being wrapped around like a boxer's hands prefight, I'm glad it can be done that way I can make the angle and offset like I need to without relying on a manufactured one, I want to send only one main exhaust through rear bulkhead similar to the diesels exit. Thanks again for tip! I'll try to get some pics as I go on this one,(replacing deck supports and deck) sounds like a long journey start to finish.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Rocky, umm you are moving alot faster than i am sooo
hury up and then get your butt down her and finsih mine!!
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Mine as well Matt, there aint no salmon to catch this way anyway! I just need to get rid of that pesky work thing I have to go to every day. What I'd like to do even more, problably yours too is trailer our boats to Capt Pat and have him finish them. (With diesels of course)!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

When I "retired" (actually semi-retired as I am/was self employed) I had a house built and spent almost 3 years trimming out the interior. Hardwood floors, 3 piece crown moulding, built ins, baseboards, wainscotting with wall frames in the dining room, etc, etc, etc.

Two years ago I started to rebuild my B33 FBC. Project is moving ahead nicely.

I have been so busy the past 5 years I can't figure out how I ever found the 50+ hours a week to attend to my "job".

Of course all boat work stops when the grandchildren ask me to build something for them!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

IRGuy I know what you say with the grandchildren and the stop the boat work for them, except in my case it's my two year old wanting a swingset (we bought one from Costco). After work today I removed both big blocks from the boat with a borrowed forklift, tomorrow I'm excavating for the rubber "bark" that goes down before the swingset is erected! It's a pride thing you know.. And I'm happy to do it for her, absolutely!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Here's some pics of the oh my god what have I done! Image
This is the engine bed that moved inboard causing shaft misalignment and exhaust manifold to hit engine box.
This de-tabbing bulkhead leaves me a bit concerned.