NE Canyon Trip

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

NE Canyon Trip

Post by Bob H. »

Ventured out to Veatch Canyon, 9 yellowfin, 2 whites two mahi, could have doubled the yellows dropped a lot on night bite with butterfly jigs, hooks too close to main line on jigs...broke off...heres a few pics of a 80 lb yellow and a nice white...Thanks for tip Brew ... BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Im glad I could help out. Anytime.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

What time is supper?????
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Nice fish and man what a beautiful day to be out enjoying the ocean. Apparently no mechanical problems (the boat came home), good weather, nice fish...does it get any better?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, Veatch is a mild haul across country for me from Mystic, but them fishes are beautiful!!! Did you catch them on the overnight dropping jigs, trolling or bait? Did I read this right it was jigging? Sweet eats!!! Nice!
Face

Post by Face »

Beautiful fish Bob. One thing you can try on your jigs is to add a ball bearing swivel to your split ring. This provides a rounder solid ring to tie your line/leader to. A very good jigger I know that fishes offshore in the Carolinas has reported less break offs with this.

So jealous... fishing on the Chesapeake.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, We caught 6 yellows on the troll and a killer night bite around 3 am. jigs and chunks when we got them to the boat. Butterfly jigs in the rigger while we chunk, then drop more jigs down once the fish move in.
Face will give that a try on the jigs, lost at least 6 on butterfly jigs, cryin shame a good class of fish that night.
Harry, Got some tuna steaks in the freezer...supper wed or thursday night.
Dug, We left from Pt Judith, 110 miles one way, from Mystic is a haul..pick your days and put a bladder out back...we had perfect weather, good fishing and boat got us home in one piece..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?