Non Boating Subject: NYC Faithful- Taxi or Limo from JFK

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Non Boating Subject: NYC Faithful- Taxi or Limo from JFK

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I have to go to the Hospital for Special Surgery next Wed August 4. I will coming into JFK at 9:30 AM and leaving the same evening at 7:00 PM on JetBlue from West Palm. I haven't been to the city since the late 60's.

My question is whether to go for a Limo/Town Car or just take a taxi?

I have to be at the hospital which is located at 535East 70th Street and the FDR by 11:00AM.

I got a few quotes from car services at $75.00 into the city and $100.00 back to JFK during rush hour, taxi's are amost as much. Does anyone know of a Limo/Car service that I can trust, the price doesn't matter that much I just don't want to get ripped off. I heard that Gray Line Limo's are really bad news.

Does anyone from the City area have any advise or suggestions who to use?.

Walking with a cane and leg brace, knee is still really screwed up, need door to door service because I can't walk any distances.
Thanks, any info would be helpful. Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete
sorry to hear about your knee, personaly i hate the city and avoid it when ever i can, maybe harv will chime in he used to drive trucks in there , and lives in brooklyn, he probably knows someone trust worthy
best of luck
Carl

Post by Carl »

In all honesty Limos/Town Car/ Car Service is all great..love to see that sign with my name on it...

But personally I have found with Plane delays and Car Service delays it's just easier to hop in the long line of Cabs that wait right outside the terminal. Prices are fixed...you can get a quote first by calling so you can figure if it's the way for you.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

a good car service will check for delays and still be there with the little sign with your name when you come outside
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Pete - me & the Bride always use a town car service from JFK to the city and its about 75 as you say, worth every nickel....I'll dig out the name of the one we use....very efficient, they meet you in baggage claim and carry cell phones....door to door deal.

I'll be back with you shortly.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Pete - we use NYLimoCoach....800 447 1955....the quote sheet I have from a year ago shows $65 + 20% tip from JFK to the city. We have used them for several years and they have first class service each way.

Good Luck!

UV
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's
Thanks everyone for quick responses, UV I'll go with your recommendation on the Limo service. This board is the best, I wish all of the doctors I've gone to over the years were as good as you guys.

I'm going to the city to have a special MRI with T-2 mapping to see if the new knee that they put in this past January is loose on the tibial bone.
Also found out that I have developed an allergy to Cobalt Chrome(Nickel) that they used in the last 2 replacement knees(5 years max out of each knee).
Looks like it might have to come out because of the allergy and a different type of metal/ceramic knee for a replacement going in. That will be the 14th operation on the same knee. Getting pretty sick of all this doctor/operation bull sh#t.
I told Capt Pat to see if he could fabricate a better knee joint, his work is far better than anything the doctors have done to my scarred up old leg. Anyway thanks for the quick reply on the transportation issue. Pete Fallon
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i wish you well pete, best of luck
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

he probably knows someone trust worthy
Is that possible in the city?

Hey Pete,
I wish you'd quite wasting your time on so called "professional" doctors and come over to the house and I'll fix them knees up for good.

Never trusted anyone that takes 8 to 10 years to learn a trade..........
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Limo is good, but I like the taxi ride. It adds flavor to the visit. If you go to a ammusment park you have to ride the coaster. Good luck with your knee.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Pete,
I can sympathize with you. My GF is rehabbing now from her second replacement, on the same knee in 2 years. As UV has suggested, I would go with a company that he knows and uses.

If I had known sooner, I could have taken you to and from the airport, but doubt if I can rearrange my schedule on short notice. I had transported UV and his bride, and Capt. Pat, to and from Providence Airport, during the Newport Rendezvous a few years back.

Best of luck.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pete

The limo is the only way to go especially if you are struggling a bit with the knee. The Cab rides are not as good as they used to be. Way back when the old time cab drivers were the best. Could get you around traffic by taking back roads and always knew where they were going. Give them and address and they could tell you the cross street.

Today, not only don't they speak english but they don't have a clue about getting around all the 5 boroughs. So if you have to be stuck in traffic, better in the limo.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Thanks for all of the replies, opinions and info about getting into the city from JFK.
I'm going to use UV's Limo service, Harv hope to meet you in person someday, your one of the most unselfish men I've ever talked to.

Brewster, I'm too old for roll-a-coaster rides and taxis that smell like someones been boiling their underware in the back seat for 3 days.

Tony. I agree with you about the 3rd world cabbies that came from countries with only 4 paved roads in the entire nation, trying to get around the 5 boroughs and fighting traffic is bag enough for any American.

Bruce, you nailed it about the 8 to 12 year apprenticeship, but they can give you drugs legally.

Thanks again, enjoy Greenport, wish I was coming up for that instead of the hospital bullsh#t.
Pete Fallon
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Hang in there Pete and good luck this time around. Hope they get it tight this time. Like I said on the phone...